or Connect

Posts by MaryB

Tomatoes and corn are doing well, beans so-so many got hit by grasshoppers. Cucumbers are trying but the cool weather has really slowed them down. Picked about half the radishes, first one got a quick rinse under the hose and eaten right in the garden. I love fresh picked radishes. Salad greens are finally taking off, hope they don't bolt right away when it gets hotter. Herbs look good, turnips look good and I have had a few meals of greens there too.
Save the fat to add back to leaner grinds for sausage, pork burgers, etc.
Competition BBQ is a lot different than home BBQ. It is cooking designed to get the judge to say WOW after 1 or 2 bites. So flavors are intensified to a point where you would not want to eat an entire slab of ribs that way.   Just put a small slab of baby backs on. Probably take 2 1/2 hours maybe 3. I do baste every hour and flip them at that time. My rib baste is a simple olive oil/cider vinegar mix. It sets the bark(outer crunchy layer on BBQ meats) and adds another...
Small town living is the only way to go, woke up and the neighbor had tied his horses out in my yard to graze. I had hand surgery and can't mow yet so he is "cutting" my grass for me
I will stick to proven methods until the USDA says it is safe to use an oven. The only jars that really need it are those with short water bath times or for making my refrigerator pickles where boiling brine is poured over packed jars, lids and bands put on then let cool(They usually seal while cooing). Once cool they go into the fridge for storage up to a year.
Oven sterilizing is an untested and unproven method. Want to bet your health on it? Might not get sick doing it 4 times, 5thmight bite you with botulism or some other nasty. I follow the instructions given for each recipe and do not gamble with my health.
I NEVER foil ribs or butts, it is not needed while cooking. But I do foil then rest for at least 30 minutes for ribs and I prefer an hour or two for butts. Ribs are done when you pick them up i the center with tongs and the meat just starts to tear in the center. If they tear in half they are over done, no tear at all under done. It is a learning curve with every smoker to get the technique, temps, and times just right. My first half summer smoking meats had a few...
200 is a bit low, bump it to 225 to 250 for ribs. I often use 275 when doing ribs to speed it up a touch. Dry can be one of 2 things, underdone or over done. Were they falling off the bone?
When corn is in season my kitchen is always busy. Not only am I eating it but I blanch it and cut it off the cobs to freeze for winter. Use the cobs to make a corn stock and freeze that also for making a few pots of chowder in winter. Done right it is almost as good as fresh.
Rendered chicken fat makes the best fried potatoes!