or Connect

Posts by MaryB

Comfort food time, roast beef slow cooked in the oven at 275. Stuffed with garlic and scallions, then potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms added 1 1/2 hours before it is done. Final pics after I make up a plate in an hour or so...   The cast of characters:   Grass fed beef chuck roast, scallions, garlic cloves     Cut a small slit in the roast, insert scallion and stuff a clove of garlic in beside it. Repeat as many times as you want over the surface of the roast, 1...
Roasting them adds a layer of flavor over raw turkey boiled. It is optional and if you want  a lighter colored stock starting with raw is better. No clue on the vinegar, never add it to stocks... time wise 2-3 hours is plenty, by then any cartilage will have started breaking down and infusing into the stock.   I reduce my stocks by 3/4 then freeze in ice cube trays. Pop the cubes out and drop them in a ziplock baggie and into the deep freeze. Need to boost a soup or...
Hint on pictures, instead of straight on with a shiny surface angle the camera so you don't pick up the reflection of the flash!
For all things meat and here is the beef section http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef.htm
Short plate ribs are what I used to buy, 4 long ribs with about 2 inches of meat on top. Low and slow on the BBQ pit and you have some of the best eating beef there is off a smoker. They are expensive to buy and take a long time to cook and you need to get them just right, underdone they are chewy, overdone they dry out. Dinosaur bones, each was 4 inches long and had over a pound of meat on it. Leftovers made some of the best hash on the planet! I would simmer the bones...
Get a PID temperature controller, turn your crockpot on high then plug it in the controller and place the temp sense probe in the water. Instant sous vide setup. Most pids let you control temp within a degree.   Sounds like a product I should build and sell lol
Sear the ground beef on your flat top adding onions at the start and garlic later on so it doesn't burn. Add your chili powder and cumin when it as about half done so the spice oils release. Salt to taste, black pepper to taste, I would go with some mexican oregano also(small amount). Transfer to your steam table pan. This will leave a lot of fat behind. Add just a tiny bit of water and a little masa flour as a binder to hold the liquid with the meat. You don't want soupy...
Italian beef sandwiches! Season, slow roast to 135 then let it rest. Thin slice, pile on good italian rolls and dip in the juice. Serve a cup of juice on the side for more dipping.... french dips too. Also makes really good jerky.