or Connect

Posts by MaryB

I ate a lot of apple butter as a child but now I don't eat a lot of bread so I don't make it. If I do have bread it is likely as garlic bread, or a dinner roll or a bun to hold something. I grind my own flour, prep a batch of dough and then preform it into what I like then freeze it on a sheet pan on top of parchment paper. Make sure everything is well oiled before freezing. Then the night before I thaw in the fridge and that morning I take it out to rise. Fresh baked as I...
Picked up a peck of apples from the orchard 5 miles away, ended with 17 pints of apples caned in a medium syrup. Drained they can be used in pies but I sometimes just dump them i a bowl and eat! Pics after last 8 jars come out of the canner. Would have been 18 quarts but I think I ate 2 apples as I ran them thru the peeler/slicer. Canned a jar of syrup, why waste it when I can use it for the next batch!  
Ugly drum smoker made from a food grade 55 gallon drum(olive oil etc gets shipped in bulk) http://howtobbqright.com/udssmoker.html
Could setup a dorm sized fridge on a PID controller to use as a fermentation chamber in warmer climates.
As long as it gets the job done I could care less how people do it! Whatever they are comfortable doing in a safe manner.
Chopping is easy, I find the prep to not be an issue and some veg holds okay for a day or two properly covered/wrapped. Carrots, celery, onion can all be prepped a few days ahead. Biggest thing in doing it is a proper sharp knife. Bad tools turn many people off cooking. My oldest sister complained about it and one day when I was there I found out why. Her chefs knife could barely cut butter. I had my sharpening gear with me(had a BBQ cater the weekend before, some stuff...
Wheat can be cooked into a porridge or ground for flour and I have seen a salad using cooked wheat berries. Barley begs for some beef soup bones, carrots, onions, celery to make a soup.
The ziplock machine does not draw a good vacuum. The FoodSaver will crush a can for example.
Cooking to me came natural, mom was an okay cook but it was a lot of bland food. I taught myself to cook, ran a BBQ catering business for 5 years(hurt my spine, had to stop, 20 hour days were no longer an option), and in general I enjoy good food and it does not have to be complicated. Lasagna noodles won't stick if you place some of your sauce in the bottom and spread it around as an example. Common sense really.
I have used gallon zip lock bags and divided disposable plates to make meals in advance of surgery, stored fine for 6 months when I didn't eat 2 of them