or Connect

Posts by MaryB

I can and freeze my own tomatoes...
I have used a lot of different oils with no issue with smoke point. As mentioned medium heat is the key. And the kernels explode because of steam pressure so above 212 degrees they will pop. Bacon fat makes really good unhealthy popcorn! I usually use corn oil because it is what I have for when I don't want olive oil flavor or low smoke point like for last nights stir fry. Had it at just at the smoke point of the corn oil when the steak bits went in to cook(round steak)
Plating? Meh toss it on whatever is handy and eat  
Caramelized onions with garlic and mushrooms, add a splash of wine or beer and cook off the liquid, or add worcestershire sauce and cook it down. Little tomato paste works in this too add it when onions and mushrooms are about done so it can cook out.   Baked potato of any sort Garlic toast is a favorite of mine for sopping up steak juices grits for those that like them roasted vegetables are good with a steak   Anything hearty that you like can go with, there are...
Immersion chiller, can run it through the dishwasher for cleaning.  
Bacon is a food group!
Had milk leftover from making potato soup so I decided to make a bacon, onion, cheddar, egg pie for supper. This is scaled down for 2 hearty meals and can easily be scaled to feed a crowd(I used to make this for deer camp when we had 20+ to feed in the cabin).   12 oz bacon, cut in bite size pieces and fried until crisp. Reserve the fat 4 eggs cup or so of milk 4oz grated cheddar Bisquick or other biscuit mix 1/2 medium onion grated S&P to taste, I used 1 teaspoon...
Not sure how much Vit K it has...  plus I only like it in gumbo, otherwise no way no how nasty!
Greens... I already have most of the standards in the garden lol. Corn, peas, green beans(I pickle most of them), beets(pickled again), cukes, 7 different lettuces, tons of Roma's for sauce, 2-3 tomato types for slicing, squash, radishes, scallions, carrots, cabbage, spinach...   might try collards, planning on kale, planning on chard... need more greens ideas that freeze well.
I already pickle beets(only way I will eat them too!), cabbage keeps for awhile but I am looking at long term storage over winter until I start getting fresh salad from the garden(mid June in MN). Not a cauliflower fan, eat some broccoli but not enough to make it worth my time growing.