or Connect

Posts by MaryB

Chicken Parm is easy, many recipes on the net. One of my go to methods for chicken breast is to season it, a light coat of flour, pan fry in 1/2 inch of oil, drain then serve on a bun with lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayo etc. You could make chicken strips too by using the same method but cut the breast into smaller pieces. Poach it in a little white wine or chicken stock then fine chop for chicken salad. Season it however you like and broil it then slice and serve on a salad.
Just 2 adults and a 3 year old I would broil it, portion it, serve a large baked potato and a pile of salad. 6-7oz of steak per adult is plenty usually unless you have meat and potato eaters who expect huge portions.
Blech cooking in those bags gives the turkey a chemical taste. A 12 pound turkey will be tender KK, they are a young bird not like an old stewing hen that is only good for soup. I start my turkey in a 450f oven until it is nicely browned then turn it down to 325 and cook until done via thermometer. A 12 pound bird will take around 3 hours give or take...
I would have been smoking  a whole piglet....
A good chefs knife works well, a slicer can work but harder to control. Do not overcook pork loin. 145 internal then let it rest. Best to use a smaller roast under 10 inches for your first try at butterflying. As mentioned lay it on your board in whatever direction is comfortable for you to work and start about 3/4 inch up off the board making a cut lengthwise about an inch or two into the roast. Roll it away from your blade as you work into it, don't worry if the inside...
How big would help... stir fry works, use it to top a salad, make lots of filling sides...
After a week of research and reading many reviews I settled on a retsel flour mill. The mills themselves have a very good reputation for an affordable price. After a 2 month delay mine finally arrived. I unpacked it and washes per instructions, ran a cup of wheat and tossed it to get it clean and ready to use. I ordered the optional stone burrs along with the stock metal ones. Stone ground flour is better but the steel burs let you grind oily thing like peanuts and other...
I started a post on home flour milling that will answer some questions. Yes you can buy organic flour but flour loses nutrients fast. 2 weeks and a lot of the vitamins are gone. Plus all commercial flour has the wheat germ removed from it and that removes a lot of the vitamins right there. The wheat germ is fatty and leads to spoilage of flour. I keep my home ground in a mason jar in the fridge to extend its life but I only grind what I need for a week. When I grind a new...
Smoke a chub of bologna first, slice and drop into the deep fryer. Serve on a toasted kaiser bun slathered with miracle whip and good stone ground hot mustard.
Nicko suggested I start a post on this for those who want to grind their own flour. It is work and not for everybody!   Step one is deciding on a mill.   How much flour do you need a week? Do you want motorized? Do you want to be able to control the grind from super fine to cracked wheat or settle for standard flour?   When picking a mill one of my main concerns was being able to use it during power outages. I went with a hand cranked mill that I can add a motor...