or Connect

Posts by Chef Norm

your intuition is correct--there is no such thing as waterless cooking, and all the promises of higher vitamin content, lower fat content, etc. are just that--promises. If it were true, why wouldn't everybody be using it? If it sounds too good to be true--it probably is!
If you peel the eggs and put a little white vinegar in the water that they are stored in (10% by volume), they will keep indefinitely, maintain good color, and not "soften" like they do otherwise...
Try parsnip chips. Using a vegetable peeler, peel off strips just as if you were peeling a carrot (use the peel, too), until you get to the core of the root. Deep fry until slightly brown (they crisp during the cooling process), and sprinkle with powdered sugar at service. I know it sounds wierd, but it's good, and very crisp.
don't forget "French Dips"...that being said, 8 oz. (by weight) total, per "teenage" guest should be plenty, even for those ravenous appetites. In other words, if you have 12 dips and 30 guests, that's about 1 and 1/2 lb. of each dip, and so on, to include: "Classics" (boring, but people will be confused unless you have them)French Onion Guacamole Salsas (up to three) Ranch Bean... That's seven right there!
"Food cost" has been replaced (in many venues) by "Product cost," a more inclusive but less representative formula of what the property is actually making. Everything can be spun, and Chefs will always want to narrow, while management will always want to expand, the interpretation of "profit." Get used to it!
Hey, Hotels don't have a harder time with food cost than do free standings, but food cost is always a bear...management expects us to be accountable, and we should be...at the same time, management may have unrealistic expectations--welcome to reality! Bottom line? Do the best you can, if they think you're not good enough, hey, we were looking for a job when we found this one! Food Safety and Guest Satisfaction are the keys to success--let the rest go!
Even for buffet banquets, 21% is very low--for that matter, buffets usually run higher on food cost, but lower on labor--after all, buffets have more waste, and people overfill their plates. I haven't heard of a restaurant hitting 12% ever, so I wouldn't worry too much about management breaking your horns if they start calculating food cost properly. You can always quote industry averages, easily accessible on the net these days.
Yes, cancel the order for a salamander, and order a thermal immersion circulator, Guy Savoy is doing a lot of Sous Vide, "under the radar."
You, my friend, are a true Glutton for Punishment (literally and metaphorically)
Hey, when I was in St. Tropez in the 70's, it was a big hangout for nudists and "free thinkers," much to my delight. Whatever Flashinthepan serves, it should definitely include breasts, legs, and thighs! Or is that too racy for this thread...