Posts by Koukouvagia

I got a jicama.  First time.  It's big, I imagine it would make a very big salad.  Any ideas what to do with it?  Can it be cooked?
Thanks all, we ate up most of our leftover potatoes this week.  I made little hash patties with grated onion.  I also made a potato casserole with some leftover kielbasa, pepper and onions. Very good, but I think I've had enough of potatoes for a while lol.
 I know people age meat at home but I am terrified of doing this.  
 Gone are the days when women have to worry about this.  We are now to be thought of as equals, not as pretty accessories who have to look and act in a way that makes us demure and powerless.  Besides, I can't think of anything more dainty than a little nugget of food.  I'm all for respecting other cultures, but I will dip as I see fit, and I like a little soy on my rice. Soak it up baby.
The part that wraps around the ribeye is called the cap or the deckle.  It is not gristle.  It is extremely tender and in my opinion the best part of the whole cow.  It cooks at a different rate than the eye, takes a little longer so it's easy to overcook the eye while waiting for the deckle to cook.  If it is gristly then it is not deckle, therefore it is not ribeye.  If you post a pic maybe we can find out for sure.  Next time buy your own beef.
You want to look for good marbling on a steak.  What makes you think it was a ribeye?  They should be labeled ribeye or rib steak if you get them at the supermarket.  Have you tried getting them at the butcher?   If you have some leftover and want to eat it like a steak just make a sauce to go with it.  Bernaise or even a gravy will do.
There is a difference.  Adding cold stock slows down the cooking process so you'll need to stand there stirring constantly for longer.  
 What's the proper way?  I may be guilty of a mere wilt.
It is a difference in preference, that's all.  You tell us, was the soup with caramelized onions a different color than the soup with sweated onions?  I bet it was.   Putting the lid on a pot causes the steam to trap inside.  It also raises the temperature inside so it is tricky as it will also speed up the cooking time.     Now that you know both ways to do it you have to decide for yourself which do you like better and when to use each technique in the dishes you...
What a lovely experience!