or Connect

Posts by Koukouvagia

And when we weren't eating we were doing this: And this This Lots of this! Watching the swallows take over the cables at the end of the day Finding secret beaches Some beaches come equipped with free sea snacks. These little guys are called limpets.
Somehow we had the time to smoke a pork butt and a belly. Good thing the family had a huge smoker they has no idea what to do with.
By chance I stumbled into this little place that makes traditional Bougatsa. In other parts of Greece this is a sweet dessert but in Chania Bougatsa is made with a savory cheese custard filling. Light flaky hand stretched phyllo! They weigh your portion on this old scale Then they slice it up and sprinkle it with caster sugar and cinammon Eating it was a religious experience. I may have shed a tear.
The famous Agora in Chania Salt packed sardines. Smoked herring Bread is secondary to paximadi. Kretans are crazy about their dried bread. Some cooked food at the stalls Some cheese Fish and meats
A refreshing snack with fava (yellow split pea purée), olives, raw onion. Taken right before it was drizzled with olive oil.
A late night out usually ends up like this. You may be surprised to know that the topping of choice is not tzatziki but plain Greek yogurt, or as we like to call it... Yogurt.
My favorite, fasolada. I've posted my recipe and pictures here lots before but this is the original, Mom's! Vegan vegetable bean soup with hearty bread.
Heading to a nearby village to celebrate the annual Sardine Festival.
If you haven't fried potatoes over an open fire you are missing out.
Seasonal ingredients to die for. All have been given to us by friends or neighbors under the village's inherent barter system. I lost count if how many figs I ate. Perfect with mizithra. Cucumbers by the bushels "Stamnangathi", another weed, pleasantly bitter. Quail eggs!