or Connect

Posts by Koukouvagia

Thanks I will try your method next time @French Fries  I love nutmeg in creamy things.
 Oh I did not know that.  That's why I add the flour, because the sauce always splits if I don't.  I'm going to try it low and slow (3hrs yowza?!) next time without the flour, but with the cheese.  Covered I assume?  And how low would I keep the temp?  I'm curious what will happen. Also, how tall do you make your gratin?  One inch? Is 2 inches too much?
I steep garlic, onion, bay, and herbs in the milk/cream.  Then I make a little bit of roux and stir in the hot milk, making a very loose bechamel.  I then stir in the cheese, seasoning and a little nutmeg and pour it over the potatoes then bake.  It's important not to make the bechamel thick.  It comes out very rich. 
I could tell them apart in terms of flavor but they were both juice and had a great texture. Thanks all!
So we mopped 50% of the ribs and the rest we left dry  0
 It's been a while since there's been an interesting conversation around here.
spare ribs, thanks
We're making ribs and we can't decide if we want to mop them or not.  I've got them rubbed with salt/pepper/garlic/onion/paprika/mustard/thyme/oregano and I don't want to add sweetness.  I also don't want to jeopardize the crust.  They'll be fine without a mop right?
I'm about to embark on a similar process though with store-bought tomatoes.  Enjoy!
 Welcome to cheftalk, all of us here are just as interested in the nitty gritty details of making a perfect meal! First off, there IS a thin layer of fat under the chicken skin.  That's the deliciousness that is keeping your skin moist and flavorful.  Your chicken skin doesn't go from perfect to suddenly having a layer of fat, it was always there to begin with.  What has happened is that along the process of cooking it in the oven it steamed enough to uncrisp the skin....