Posts by Koukouvagia

Excellent points everyone. One of my initial reactions is "are we making a mountain out of a molehill?" After all I think the intent of everyone who eats cuisine that they didn't culturally grow up eating is one of positivity. I eat ramen because it's freakin delicious, not because I'm trying to appropriate the Japanese culture. I eat it with chopsticks and a little fat plastic spoon because that is the utensil given me and because I can. I eat pizza with my hand because...
Fascinating article. What is everyone's take on this? http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39142260?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook
It's not about glitz and glamour, it's about a chef who helps me connect to the food. Some have a gimmick that I enjoy more. I don't connect with "bam" or "evoo" if you know what I mean. But I do enjoy a quick paced style of cooking that charges me with a "go for it" attitude towards cooking. Ripert doesn't have a gimmick or a schtick, that's all.
 Clumsy is not the right word, maybe finesse is a better word.  I think he and Bourdain are doing a show together.  I think training chefs and watching tv are 2 different things so that's why I asked the OP what is it that he's trying to learn?  There are lots of good technique videos on youtube.  But when it comes to celebrity chefs I'm looking for finesse, energy, and style.  You're right, he's subtle and introverted and that doesn't take away from his cooking but he's...
It's always wonderful to learn something new isn't it?
I don't dislike ripert. I just don't find him interesting to watch on tv. This is not about a difference of opinion, it's about being respectful to people despite a difference of opinion. Everything you pointed out about Ripert in your first post may be a valid point, one I am interested in discussing, but calling me silly aims to make your opinion righteous while making mine trivial. And I don't allow people to speak to others like that whether it's me or someone else....
 You did not hurt my feelings.  You angered me by calling me silly.  Disagreement is natural, constructive, and objective where as calling someone silly is demeaning, personal, and inappropriate.
Oh you haven't?  Silly me, did I say slow and clumsy?  I meant slow and clumsy and BORING.  But try not to listen to a silly home cook like me.
 Dessert, I can't get accustomed to finishing a meal with cheese though I'm not against it.  I just want something sweet.   Boxed lettuce (pre-washed) or loose lettuce?
It depends on what you want to learn.  When I watch Eric Ripert on Avec Eric I learned that he is slow and clumsy with a knife and not at all suited for line cook haha.  Of course I'm just a home cook and I don't know what goes into being a line cook but I know that slowness isn't useful.    I learned a lot from watching Gordon Ramsay cook.  I learned the most from Jamie Oliver though, he's my favorite.  I learned that I can use my hands to toss a salad, that I don't...