or Connect

Posts by Koukouvagia

I'm so excited to have discovered forbidden rice.  It is full of iron and antioxidants.  It is also delicious, super!!!   This is my take on Mexican Fried Rice. Cumin scented black rice fried with shallot, scallion, yellow bell pepper, garlic, lime and chives.  Served with oregano-rubbed salmon.   And I have a question.  I liked the black rice so much that I'm thinking of using it for rice pudding.  I looked up a few recipes and they ALL use coconut milk.  Really?...
 I add pasta to the broth and cook it until it's done.  Then I turn off the burner and begin making the avgolemono.  When I temper the broth I'm careful not to pick up pasta with it, I just skim broth from the top.  A little pasta does get mixed in which is fine, the pasta is orzo or pastina, very small.  It does not get damaged in the whisking.  I never bring avgolemono back to a boil, ever.  I treat it like a custard, you never want to boil a custard. There's no...
I moved into an apartment with a real kitchen and got really homesick for my Mom's foods.  So I would call her and ask her "how do you make _____" then run out and buy the ingredients and try making it myself.  Eventually I got really good at it and now she calls me to ask for tips and recipes.  
Yea avgolemono is really yummy. Have you ever eaten it French Fries? Phatch's article is pretty good though skip the version with cornstarch! It couldn't be simpler. Start with your favorite chicken broth, hot and steamy. I use the ratio of 1 egg + 1 lemon per quart. You may add more/less lemon depending how potent your lemons are. It's all technique, very easy for an experienced cook like yourself. Room temp eggs and lemons. Whisk the egg in a sturdy bowl near your...
First allow the meat to dry after you dredge it. 30 minutes should be ok. The meat should not be wet when it goes into the oil. Try higher heat as Terry suggests and then drain on a rack, not paper towels.
That fried chicken is beautiful.  I picked up some korean fried chicken just yesterday at a local place here.  The sweet smell of garlic drove me crazy in the car all the way home.  I don't know how they get it to keep so crispy!
@foodnfoto I know where you're coming from but other cultures have their own ideas of what is a good thing to eat or not. There are many reasons why someone would choose to eat a snake for protein over something else. Perhaps there are believed medicinal purposes or it's tradition. This was a freak accident and should have nothing to do with judgment over what others choose to eat. By this logic we shouldn't flambé or use a blow torch to brûlée. Even carving a turkey at...
That looks amazing joey!
 Carolina rice has a wonderful way of falling apart, sometimes I like that, especially for stuffing vegetables and grape leaves.