or Connect

Posts by Koukouvagia

Mmmmm, pork.
Thanks! That sounds good. You don't salt it?
Oops. I blame it on the jet lag.
I wasn't going to post because the picture is bad and the preparation so simple but this is what I did for dinner one night. Quail eggs fried in olive oil, served with fresh bread. Boring.
This and Nickos dish look amazing. How does one successfully oven fry?
Amazing delicious things happening here. This is my favorite thread. I haven't been around for a while because I've been on vacation to Greece for several weeks. I started to post here but kgirl suggested I start a whole thread about the food experiences I had while there. So check out my culinary experiences here http://www.cheftalk.com/t/81837/koukous-travels#post_479327
Glad everyone is enjoying it. I'm hungry looking back at the photos. One thing I did not get to eat this summer was staka. It is a tricky dish shrouded in mystery. Old wives tales dictate that staka should be made secretly without alerting anyone. It should never be asked for or discussed. It should come out as a surprise. But that's hard to do considering the formidable smell it creates throughout the house and my mother's 2 attempts to make it proved disasterous. Both...
And when we weren't eating we were doing this: And this This Lots of this! Watching the swallows take over the cables at the end of the day Finding secret beaches Some beaches come equipped with free sea snacks. These little guys are called limpets.
Somehow we had the time to smoke a pork butt and a belly. Good thing the family had a huge smoker they has no idea what to do with.
By chance I stumbled into this little place that makes traditional Bougatsa. In other parts of Greece this is a sweet dessert but in Chania Bougatsa is made with a savory cheese custard filling. Light flaky hand stretched phyllo! They weigh your portion on this old scale Then they slice it up and sprinkle it with caster sugar and cinammon Eating it was a religious experience. I may have shed a tear.