or Connect

Posts by Juliet

Thanks - I never win anything! I have a catering business and I know this will be very useful in our upcoming planning. Cheers!
I wanted to give an update to the event. It was held last Tuesday and was a great success! *whew!* This is the menu I finally decided on: Ceviche de Pulpo / Octupus Ceviche served with Tortilla Crisps Aged Tequila and Sangrita Ensalada Verde / Mixed Salad with Spinach, watercress, beets, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds and cojita cheese with a pumkin seed dressing Crema de Nueces / Walnut Cream Soup garnished with toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds Sorbet de Jamiaca y...
My votes go for: towels - cleanliness tongs - multipurpose little mise en place bowls - to keep organized wine opener - because, well, you know.....
I would say definately go for it, I was a personal chef for three years and loved it. The issue I would have is that you need to make it clear to them that you are discounting your services WAY down for them, and only them. I have done personal cheffing and catering for friends where I gave them a healthy discount, and then they turned around and told potential clients how great I was and also how inexpensive! (!) It was horrible, because it is much harder to raise...
Good points Even Stephen, I am thinking about expanding the menu. I am the party planner for this, so I am not doing the cooking. I have chefs that are aces at making these dishes, so I am not worried about that. Anyway, this is a start. Will post the final menu once I get all advice in and everything approved. Thanks for your suggestions!
OK, I think I have worked out the menu. I have decided to go with traditional Mexican with flavors from all over the country. So, far: Appetizer Plate - Trio of Mini Appetizers Ceviche - Assorted Seafood 'cooked' in lime juice Mini Chicken tamale Cochinita Pibil - Yucatan Spiced Pulled Pork slowly cooked in banana leaf Soup Course Crema de Flor de Calabaza / Cream of Squash Blossom Soup. With a parmesan crisp. Sorbet Sorbet de Jamaica / Hibiscus Flower Sorbet Main...
I have been asked to do a couple events for a political fundraiser in July. One is a reception and one is a dinner - same day! The reception will cost $250, and the dinner will be $1,000 a plate. Yikes! I obviously won't get most of the money as these are fundraisers, and I am doing this pretty much at cost, but I am at a loss to figure out what to serve for this dinner. Does anyone have any ideas? The dinner will be for about 40 people, and the reception for...
When I worked service for a catering company we would sometimes bring in whole trays already done up and wrapped direct from the kitchen crew. At one party, I was unwraping a mediterranean platter to set on the buffet and realized that my friend in the kitchen had sculpted a VERY detailed rendition of *ahem* male and female anatomy. It was actually very good and creative. Without going into too many details, let's just say it was a unique way to showcase hummous, roasted...
I mark them up 15%. Since I don't have to pick up the rentals, it's not too much trouble for me, and I do like having the control over the order. The company I use delivers the day of the party and picks up the day after, at the client/event location. If the order is small, I charge a delivery fee of about $25usd, which is what the company charges me for anything under about $80usd.
That sounds fabulous! I think that they will really like this. I'll try it for the June meeting. Thanks!