or Connect

Posts by katbalou

Kokopuffs, I know that when I went Gluten free and since then I've had to take extra vit B, D and a multi due to vitamin Malabsorption. I went so long without being diagnosed with celiac disease that it really screwed up my immune system. might be similar to drug regime? not sure as I haven't  read the book. the latest info I've seen also suggests my heart attack came at a younger age than I expected due to celiac disease.
I know that for me, wheat is like an opiate to my body. The withdrawal sucked, but after about 3 weeks I was feeling so much better! I'll never be as healthy as I once was due to the length of time celiac disease went undiagnosed and unchecked in my body. But I'm way better than I was! and the gluten free products available have gotten so much more palatable in the last 7 years. There's Udi's, Rudi's, Glutino and even King Arthur has some really good mixes. I do miss some...
bob's red mill, king Arthur, google gluten free bulk flour there's a lot
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/essentials/gluten-free/ the problem with most gluten free "flours" is that the components are mainly starches and the protein content is very low. doesn't structurally hold up as well. can be fixed by adding sorghum, millet, amaranth or teff and even more brown rice flours.
lol, just what I was thinking, Pete!
http://www.rudisbakery.com/gluten-free/
Rudi's has now tweaked their recipes and the bread is much better. They also now make some good, soft tortilla like wraps, thin and pliable.
sorry to tell you, but there's really no such thing as a "good" gluten free bread. udi's and Rudi's make decent ones. when you make gluten free breads they do not rise very well as they are a batter rather than a dough. structure is different. King Arthur has a decent recipe collection for gluten free, as does Land of Lakes butter. And for what it's worth if your doing this as you have celiac disease, barley is a no go. it contains gluten.   kathee
the king Arthur chocolate cake is very good, too. not dry like most gluten free products are and actually holds up for more than a day. I make 2 layers, fill it with twinkie filling, and glaze with chocolate ganache. just like a big hostess cupcake. satisfies my cravings!  and it's not great to go gluten free if you don't have to. many gluten free products make up for lack of taste with more sugar and fats, also many are made with white "starches" that really have no...
having been gluten free for 7 years now and a retired chef,  in my opinion the King Arthur mixes and flours are the best for infrequent gluten free bakers. a few things to remember also - be very careful of cross contamination. Clean the baking area thoroughly of any wheat flour, be careful with anything in the baking area, flour the pans with some of the cake mix or gluten free flour. read every label of other ingredients you might be using, you'd be surprised where...