or Connect

Posts by aprildb

OK, wait...are we talking Taco Bell, Chili, or real Mexican Food?   Taco bell mixes water, flour and such and then simmers with the typical "taco" spices. Makes it into a thick paste-ish stuff.    Chili isn't really "Mexican". It varies all over the map.   What are we talking about?   So confused....   April
Don't think there is an authentic Mexican ground beef. Are you referring to US tacos, enchiladas, Taco Bell type beef? Then it's not Mexican. As many other posters have said, you use slow cooked chunks for burritos, shredded for tacos, tostadas, enchiladas. Ground beef is for Taco Bell. There are a number of recipes for Taco Bell ground beef burritos and such. Not the same as 'authentic'.    As in living in Central America or whatnot.    You could look into 'copycat'...
Thank you.   Actually no. I've had trouble with black in general but you use so little of it that it's not a problem. I only found the bleeding to be a problem if the cake is left for a period of time, which the majority of them aren't.   April
Hi, I just have one question: I really hope that you're not going to modify your son's diet just because you're gluten intolerant?   Was it diagnosed as actual Celiac's or something else?   Eating gluten free when you don't have an actual physical reason or need for it has been found to be harmful. I'm the baker at a vegetarian/organic cafe and I deal with food allergies every day and I've done a lot of research on the subject.   In the meantime there are...
OK, well it doesn't look like I'm going to be working for this little place at 7500 feet for a whole lot longer.   However, for my own edification I need to solve something. I've got pretty much everything down except the GF cupcakes/cakes are just...weird. They taste ok, just still not it.   The challenge: I'm limited to rice flour. Period. White rice flour and brown rice flour. That's pretty much it. The owner rests on her laurels as an "organic/vegetarian"...
OK, I have some images on Myspace. http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=363593864&blogId=538031697&actp=n%2b0prKAebczfG13CmB%2fL170xxzjSK8k%2f19igSi%2f1c3uQLTXTYANJMky0qJd%2b9I2k0CsH1SAzIoGxxLPo%2fqU6eDwdqWl0c4RAyvUCW7vlzf5gCp1Tz0xCMRIEeQlxoEZkbKMe%2fud1Z0jlM8fZjMiqTWWobHbgSOg49KK2cRX3Q%2bFOOUjWKAS0RK48uReQ1EpiJjn8BEzoRgZ82EEv9SUt1kuJqRbzrTC03kQV7h7CQP1tXftXqR1O5MaTiBQgdDOi   Hopefully this will work. PM me if it doesn't. (Dammit Jim...
OK, ya know I grew up where gelatin was gelatin. To be honest I have never run into strengths of a bloomin sheet! LOL.   All I've ever used was gelatin and it worked fine for mousse, stabilized whipped cream, certain pie fillings or whatnot....hmmmm....   Just one more culinary curiosity to look into.   April
30 gr = 30 gr. It's a weight issue. That's why I like using weight measure for dry ingredients rather than cups or...1 pound always equals 1 pound no matter what it is.   Gelatin seems pretty straightforward unless there's something different about Kosher gelatin (coming from an animal rather than ?) as far as density. But if they say it's the same then go with it.   April
Hi, and thanks. It's a little 50 seat plus walk-ins cafe called Treehouse. I grew up with my mom's obsession with health foods and I must admit if they tasted like this I would have been a lot more open to the idea.   Asking doesn't seem to work very well. I think it's more of a use your gut thing that you can't explain or show to anyone else. I have baked successfully at 6600 feet following the provided recipes like I've been doing now so I don't know what that...
Look into Mexican Cookbooks by Dianne Kennedy. She describes numerous types of chiles as well as wonderful photos and illustrations of what she's describing. As far as authentic, these are important. The combinations are endless and every single one is delicious in its own right. You just have to find the taste you like best.   My favorite regional cuisine is So. Mexico, Yucatan,and Guatemalan. More bordering on the mole variations, tons of flavor and not as much...