or Connect

Posts by chiffonade

I'm nauseous just reading about this experience! Didn't you jeopardize your own business by even cooking under such conditions?? Absolutely true on both counts! That's just too flipping bad. You can sue the mother both for what she owes you AND court costs. You rendered a service under abominable conditions and she owes you every penny of your invoice at the very least. This is where my $hit lousy attitude would come in. Couldn't you have strongarmed the...
There is a thin line between too much sugar and not enough sugar but erring on the side of less is a good idea. I always turn the dish. I use 100% granulated sugar. Plain old gran sugar, not turbinado, not superfine.
I find Starbucks' baked goods way too sweet (although I'm completely addicted to their coffee). I tweaked one of my scone recipes and came up with the following. Give it a try. Pumpkin Scones 3 cups flour 1/2 cup sugar 2 TBSP baking powder 1/8 tsp. salt 2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice (widely available) 1 Cup Chopped Pecans 1/2 cup butter, very cold, cut into small dice ½ cup milk ½ cup Pure Pumpkin Puree 1 egg 1 tsp. vanilla 1 TBSP Milk 1 TBSP...
Thanks so much! I enjoyed the story about the from scratch pasta lady and I appreciate the recipe. I'd really like to do more special gnocchi variations and this recipe will be a good springboard :D.
Congratulations! It looks great. I also do not use a bain marie and always use a crust. I made this Tiramisu Cheesecake for my mom for her most recent birthday.
I'm so notoriously rice-impaired, I'll be watching this thread. My rice always comes out like mortar. :rolleyes:
Gnocchi are one of my favorite dishes - my fave recipe is by Todd English. BTW, there is no law they have to be uniform. The irregularities in shaping really denote them as "made from scratch." They should be around the same size to ensure even cooking but they don't have to be identical. I'm really interested in a good sweet potato or squash gnocchi recipe...If anyone has one, please share.
OMG such a loaded question. I feel there are so few credible shows and personalities on TVFN, it's becoming Fluff TV. Even the qualified cooks are so overexposed, it doesn't matter that they know anything because I'm so sick of them, I switch the channel anyway. I was sorry to see the departure of people like Sarah Moulton, David Rosengarten and the Two Hot Tamales. Morons like Sandra Lee and Robin Miller are embraced as "the new wave of (gag) television chefs" and...
I love canning - I can everything from pickled asparagus to my own BBQ sauce. When you're canning with the product fully submerged, it's called the boiling water bath method. Not tightening the bands all the way allows the air to escape the jars so when they cool, the vacuum pulls the lid in causing the little button to invert. When you can properly and the jars are all sitting fresh from the water bath on a clean dish towel, you should hear a series of "pops." ...
I like hot grilled meats and other foods (like roasted tomatoes) on cold salad and I thought THAT was strange...