or Connect

Posts by Jock

Do they even make that anymore? It was a staple in our house growing up.
I got my book in the mail the other day. Love it! I made some of Mario's pizza for dinner yesterday. Very deliscious.
Such a deal!! Good for you KYH.
I never win anything. I am so excited. Thank you very much.
Would it not be simpler to add the prepared mint cream post baking? I mean, bake the brownies and when they are cool, cut them into two layers and spread the cream to make a "sandwich".
I've never heard of this one Seaside. The trouble is that (here in the US, anyway) the same cut of meat has a number of different names depending on where you are in  the country. I also know that transatlantic names vary. I'd suggest going to a real butcher if there is such a thing in your neighborhood and ask them. Maybe it's "Geordie" for chicken
OK, so what does heating the oil do to it that makes it less healthy? I know that some quality is lost in heating (that is, the uncooked oil just tastes better) but what health benefits are lost?
I've been laboring under the same misaprehension as Kyle; I thought "shortening" referred to the effect of fat on gluten strands too. I looked up Harold McGee's explanation of the effects of shortening on bread and the short answer is, food scientists don't really know! For pie crusts the fat separates layers of gluten strands to make the crust tender. Ya learn something new every day, eh?
I have a 36" Vent-a-Hood for a 36" range (no need to go greater than the size of the range.) It has 3 speeds and moves 200, 400 or 600 CFM. "Quiet" is a relative term but it is efficient and certainly much quieter than the fan blade/filter type. It's well made too and easy to disassemble for cleaning.A word of caution though, it has an 8" diameter outlet which is larger than most hood fans and may mean some work to upgrade your existing vent. Depending on how far it is...
I stopped using a press many years ago. More trouble than it's worrth in my opinion.