or Connect

Posts by Jock

I bought 2# and I don't expect to have much left by tomorrow.
In the UK Cider is by definition an alcoholic beverage - what we in the US would call "hard" cider. However, when I go to the grocery store and look at the ingredients on a bottle of apple juice it says "Apples". When I look at the ingredients list on a bottle of apple cider it says "Apples". So, what's the difference? Thank you
I like spuds and in chowder I would prefer to cut them 1/2" - 3/4". However, my wife who is not a potato fan likes them almost a brunoise! Well, maybe not quite that small but enough to almost melt into the soup.
All, as ever, thanks for the feedback and support. BDL, in fact I do have a French whisk in my baterie de cusine. I've always used the KA because I thought it was more efficient!!
No M Brown, it's not a frangipane, it's an almond cake. I was having trouble with the cake collapsing and the team offered some advice which I'm working through. Thank you
So, I made the almond cake again today following BDL's guidelines : Don't over beat the batter Lower oven temperature from 350 to 300 degrees (convection bake) Bain Marie Mixed results. When I mixed the almond paste into the creamed butter & sugar the speed was too low to break it up thoroughly so there were little bits in the batter. It didn't seem to affect the final product but I'd prefer it to blend a bit better. The cake rose as before but when it settled it did...
Covering the dough is not to trap air, it is to keep the surface of the dough from forming a skin.
It's important the dough is not patted out too thin or the scones won't rise. Not less than 3/4" and 1" thick is better.
Thank you chef. All good, sound advice.
Given the very small quantity of cake flour and the instruction to mix it into the batter "just until combined" it is clear that this cake's structure is not from flour protein. Therefore the structure is from the egg protein, (hence the similarity to a cheesecake) so how would you recomend treating this kind of cake? Thanks