or Connect

Posts by Jock

No M Brown, it's not a frangipane, it's an almond cake. I was having trouble with the cake collapsing and the team offered some advice which I'm working through. Thank you
So, I made the almond cake again today following BDL's guidelines : Don't over beat the batter Lower oven temperature from 350 to 300 degrees (convection bake) Bain Marie Mixed results. When I mixed the almond paste into the creamed butter & sugar the speed was too low to break it up thoroughly so there were little bits in the batter. It didn't seem to affect the final product but I'd prefer it to blend a bit better. The cake rose as before but when it settled it did...
Covering the dough is not to trap air, it is to keep the surface of the dough from forming a skin.
It's important the dough is not patted out too thin or the scones won't rise. Not less than 3/4" and 1" thick is better.
Thank you chef. All good, sound advice.
Given the very small quantity of cake flour and the instruction to mix it into the batter "just until combined" it is clear that this cake's structure is not from flour protein. Therefore the structure is from the egg protein, (hence the similarity to a cheesecake) so how would you recomend treating this kind of cake? Thanks
Because the soft caramel you are looking for is made with sugar, butter and cream.
Cae canny?? I'm impressed Very useful insights. Thank you very much BDL.
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I'm aware of the structure that the protein (gluten) in the flour provides and it's interesting that this recipe calls for 1/3 cup of cake flour (although I sometimes use a low protein APF - Gold Medal specifically) and that goes in last with instructions to "mix until just combinbed". meaning no gluten development. The cake is supposed to be somewhat dense and it is very tasty. It just doesn't look so good with the well in the...
Pretty good thanks. Super busy at work - hence the hiatus. It was my wife's birthday on Friday so we had dinner at a place called Anamandara, an upscale Vietnamese restaurant. Very nice it was too. Today the missus cooked dinner for me for a change. A chicken dish she saw on Lydia yesterday. Not the best cook in the world(!!!) I was prepared for anything but it was actually very good. A nice bottle of vino to go with and altogether a splendid dinner.