or Connect

Posts by Rainliberty

I want to high jack this topic to bring something else up that bothers me. Cooking is a craft and for the most part serious cooks go to different places to learn new things. That being said, almost every place I've worked the Chef or GM has "run" various restaurants in their career. Some good and some bad. And it's starting to become quite alarming how high the turnover rate must be at the top level in order for this to be the norm everywhere I go. I never have the...
I'd recommend Top Chef to anyone who wants to see chefs who work in some of the best restaurants in the country.
I might have misspoken, when I said I "figured", I actually meant I did know I will be doing those tasks. When I asked what to expect, I meant the other things? Pay rate, general atmosphere (more relaxed or restaurant "I don't care how you do it just get it done attitude"), etc, etc.   To put things in perspective I have been working as a line cook for a year and a half. It's an upscale, seasonal/weekly menu restaurant and everything is from scratch from the pastry's...
Recently interviewed for a job at a University under the Compass Group. What should I expect going in? I figured for the most part it would be large batch cooking focusing on mostly braising, baking, an roasting. I also don't believe any large scale prep (i.e breaking down hundreds of chickens, half a cow, etc). I'm not expecting much on the creative side but after listening to various cooks and a few chefs they all seem to agree it's in my best interest to "follow the...
I imagine it depends on the position their applying for. Take a line cook for example, I've known a few people who've prior to working fine dining only worked chains. They were terribly slow in terms of prep and can't work without standardized recipes. But, in return they're incredibly fast getting food off the line once everything is set up. Its been my experience that almost everyone gets good with repetition so it's better to just fine someone willing to learn and...
Friend asked me this over Facebook. I told her cost of food + gas + time. I'd like some of you guys thoughts on it though because I have no experience in the matter of private dinners. She just replied with this: off the bat, lets say its less than 20 miles from my house, typical 4 course steak dinner costing about $100, how much would you charge for cooking and entertaining bout 2 or 3 hours? possibly cooking lessons Any ideas? All help is appreciated.
Thanks for the help so far. I won't have access to the smoker during this time. Because I have three other dishes I also didn't want to overwhelm myself with trying to work my way around everyone else that will be using it. As for the chicken, I figured I would have time to saute the two chicken breast I will have left over, brown them, finish in the oven and then make small stripes and place on top of the spread. I've never done a rillette before but looking at a quick...
Well the gist of it is, I have a judged garde manger course coming up and I want to make a smoke flavored canape. But because of a time factor, smoked salmon is out of the question. I really want to utilize the extra ingredients I have left over from another item so I was thinking of maybe a whole-wheat cracker base with a blue cheese spread, small piece of chicken breast, and maybe a orange and pistachio garnish(?). However I was stumped on how to get the smoke flavor....
I want to make these miniature chocolate cakes with caramel sauce and macadamia nuts on top of them. I remember caramel sauce basically being like sugar and getting hard fairly quickly. I'm worried that if I drizzle the sauce on the cakes, the sauce will basically make the cakes inedible by the time I get them to where they need to be...roughly an hour away. Any an all help would be appreciated.
Wow...I wasnt't expecting so many replies. First and foremost I think you will all be pleased to know that my chef meant spanish cuisine as in strivctly from Spain. It is now an assignment . That being said, I do not know if it is ok by you to use any information that has been posted in this topic so far in the assignment. If it somehow seems that I am somehow plagarizing or not doing the research for myself; please feel free to no longer reply or delete any previous...