or Connect

Posts by Jim Berman

Wow! @rbrad - you nailed me... down to the tattoos... but no invite to conventions...yet. And, I started writing before Kitchen Confidential. But, wow! That was accurate. 
All of the above. I was hoping somebody would ask this! I think the old/new schools of thought different in exactly all the areas you mentioned. Cooking style, for instance, is just one aspect. Longevity. Pay expectations. Training. Yes, an enlightening thread. And grateful for that.
@chefedb - I agree with you... too many empty promises. So the question has to be asked: does school contribute to the 'new' thinking?
Hi, @SpoiledBroth. Yes, it is definitely a generalization and I don't mean any offense with that. My point is, in the spirit of new vs. old, that there is (may be) a sense of wanting things to happen more quickly without dues being paid. It used to be the vertical climb to chefdom. Whereas it seems there is a good bit of skipping over dishwasher/prep/salad/sous chef responsibilities and jumping right to the head of the class. I am totally, 1000% percent in support of new...
What about the mindset? Noticing the sense of entitlement creeping into the younger crew. Less work, fewer hours, more pay... but still the dream of restaurant ownership. Aree with @Chefross, it is certainly a never ending cycle... yesterday's new school is tomorrow's old school.
Got into a heated, yet jovial discussion with the crew about old school versus the 'new' school of chefs and cooks. The talk evolved from the case for/against going to culinary school, needing to know the classics, etc. So, I was wondering.... what do you think defines the newer cooking school of thought, what defines the old? It isn't a black and white issue, but several shades in between. Interested in what you think.
As an instructor for ServSafe, I will tell you that focusing on the review questions (multiple choice) at the end of each chapter is very useful. The questions are structured in a similar fashion to those on the test. Try to answer the questions in sequence and then check your answers at the end, rather than checking as you go along... it is more realistic to the actual testing situation. Good luck, study hard and keep us posted!
Hey @joel23 - great idea to start the Instagram connection with the crew here. My personal Instagram is: http://instagram.com/cheftalkjim  And the kitchen at the restaurant is: http://instagram.com/firestonekitchen    Thanks for starting this!
Isn't that always the case? A reaction to a negative event rather than being proactive (like what you were doing with ordering the runner rug.) I agree with @chefwriter 110% - a shoe program is essential. Mozo, Shoes for Crews, Skechers, etc all offer a cost-effective (and stylish) line that should be part of EVERYBODY's uniform. Slip-resistant shoes aren't such a new invention that people aren't aware that they exist. If the management doesn't agree, you can certainly...
@tweakz - thank you for your insight. As a retail aspect of our operation, we are making extruded pasta onsite and want to offer a fresh and/or a fresh-to-dry product.   @panini - Thank you! In my research, I am finding a few recurring models. If you unearth anything, please pass along. I appreciate the time!