or Connect

Posts by Jim Berman

In the market for a pasta extruder on the commercial scale. I have done some preliminary market/online research. Any experience you can share? Thanks!
I have found that having younger members for a crew to be empowering. Sure, there can be the adversity/entitlement factor. Once you get past that, energize them! Show them new things! Preach quality, practice quality. Lead by example. They want to learn. When they are bored, that's when bad things happen to good kitchens. Bring in new/unusual products and do a tasting. Go out for a meal with them and really connect to what interests them; speak the common language of food...
We 'stretch' the dough balls.... basically pressing them flat to prepare them for the final shaping. We use a blend of semolina and AP flour that is applied liberally on each piece. We move about 100 pies a day on slow days and upwards of 250 on a solid Friday. This process works well for us. Hope this helps.
Food and Drink addict... I'm shocked! Haha! I like the visual platform... a very engaging way to respond to a poll!
Hi, Dillon. Can't give you much advice on the red seal path as that isn't something I have experienced (being in the US.) What I will tell you is that experience matters! Work, work, work! Pick an establishment that will work you, that handles volume and some scratch cooking and you will be marketable. As you work, keep your eyes open and your focus on everything around you. Watch when inventory is being taken; look at the ordering process; be part of prep; listen to the...
...and I would add... Lead by example. Somebody is always watching. The one time you toss a half onion in the trash because you don't want to put it away properly, somebody will see that as a sign to waste produce. Don't step over trash; pick up that little scrap of paper, that lone leaf of lettuce. Let them see you taste and correct and correct. Share! Teach! Be enthusiastic... it's contagious. Work harder and smarter than everybody else. Praise in public. Scold in...
Thank you, @Nicko, for tapping me for input. One of the aspects that I see missing from the discussion above is the resting time. It is soooooo critical to allow fresh pasta dough to rest. I have read anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. I go with the latter. I will often make dough in the morning, allow it rest (covered, gently oiled) all day and then roll out in time for dinner service. Once the resting period is over, do not work the dough any more. A proper rest will...
You know, we are just this online community, but it truly feels that we often know each other beyond the confines of a computer screen. Pete's loss is real and the impact is touching so many. Warmest thoughts to his family and friends.
 What @petalsandcoco said. Onward and upward. The hug.... you are classy!
I don't usually just repost/pass along blogs, etc. However... and a big however... this really popped off the screen at me and I wanted to share. Maybe you have items to add... http://harvestamericacues.com/2014/04/11/life-lessons-from-a-line-cook/From: Harvest America Ventures, LLCRestaurant and Culinary School Consulting, Training and Coaching