or Connect

Posts by Jim Berman

@bluedogz said it! It make take a few requests, but offer to do grunt work and stay out of the way. Once you get in, keep quiet, eyes open, head up. Good luck and keep us posted!
Before I answer, a quick disclaimer: I am employed by Gordon Food Service, so my insight comes from that experience.   Gordon has NextGen ordering. It is a web-based platform that integrates a visually driven ordering system that folds into an inventory manager. As prices change, the inventory is adjusted. Further, there is a recipe collection that allows you to add your own recipes or use the existing the pieces. Those, too, will update with pricing.   Ok, so that's...
That's a tough piece to diagnose online. Are his arms at an uncomfortable/unnatural angle approaching the board? Knife too big? Perhaps the cutting board is too far away or, conversely, too close and he is 'hovering'? Perhaps, there just isn't muscle memory (translation: enough practice.) Maybe a few sessions of model-observe-check for accuracy-model-repeat are in order using some cheap potatoes? Hope this helps.
Great topic!   I remember going to my first Earth Day celebration and listening to somebody talk about recycling. What struck my 15-year old self as odd, was that he spoke down about recycling. You see, recycling is the last in the environmental conscientiousness phase. What comes first is reduce then reuse and, ultimately, recycle. That has stayed with me. And it carries into the kitchen.   The efficiency that the article points to, in one example, is broccoli stems...
"Michael Scelfo Publicly Lays the Smackdown on Entitled Alden & Harlow Non-Customers"... taking on yelp!   http://boston.eater.com/2015/2/28/8126023/michael-scelfo-publicly-lays-the-smackdown-on-entitled-alden-harlow#4162106
 There! Right there! You said it. Now.... go! 
I had the pleasure of eating at L'Atelier... one of my most memorable meals. I did a 14-course tasting that lasted hours. Certainly not something you want to do frequently, but a great experience.    Don't forego 'off Strip' places. Perhaps some locals in the LV area can chime in.
Sounds like you have the drive and want to do well by self-teaching. Have you considered an internship to get some footing? Perhaps an internship can lead to a paid position and/or further your advancement in commercial kitchens? Some places will offer assistance for classes, at least a food safety class like ServSafe. There are a lot of resources on ChefTalk that can probably help you with getting into a place near you. Keep us posted on your progress!
...agree with you, @Jellly. But... that doesn't necessarily make it right. We have to preserve some notion that terminology has to be (should be!) specific. How many times do you see tomato confit on menus? It isn't a confit! It isn't cooked in its own fat. Yes, it is being picky. Alas, without specific points of reference, terms will be watered down and we will lose direction. Mayhem. Ok, maybe that's an overstatement, but you know what I mean.  
Hey, @jeffl. Welcome to ChefTalk. Be sure to stop over at the Welcome Forum and tell us a little about your experience and what you are doing now. There are some great resources here that you should find helpful. Again, welcome!