or Connect

Posts by Jim Berman

Hi, Graciee! There has been a lot of debate over the years about AI experiences. Just lately, a few of the schools have or are slated to close. That can be an indicator of something not so good. My advice? Visit. Talk to current students. Talk to grads. Opinions over the 'net can be very mixed in intent. Get some good, honest insight from people you encounter directly tied to the programs. What works well for one student may not work as well for another. Make an informed...
Welcome to ChefTalk! As you may have noticed, there is an abundance of information on the site about knives. Your investment would be best made with a bit of research. Often, you will hear/read cautionary tales of buying a set. The reason being, while you may like the chef knife and fillet knives in the set, you may not like the slicer and boning knives, etc. Better to put together a set as you become more comfortable with what you like. It can also be a daunting task to...
We are sitting on a blanket, spread upon the hood of the car, two mugs full of really rich hot chocolate in hand and a plate of extra thick chocolate chip cookies wait to be tackled. A few feet from the Jeep's bumper, a fire crackles and laps at the cascading snow flakes as we shake off the chill. Dave Matthews' Crush is the muffled hum from the speakers safe on the inside in the warmth, shielded from our outside dining room. The backdrop is the infrequent twinkle of the...
Very Andy Kaufman-esque! Cotton-lined toilet seat covers on the plane?!
All well-made points. I often can't wrap my brain, small as it is, around spending several thousand dollars on a knife when there are certainly respectable versions that ultimately do the same thing as their more expensive counterparts; they, when handled by somebody with some skill, reduce the surface area of a food item to more manageable parts suitable for cooking. Is that not the purpose of knives?   Very nice pictures to show the comparison and contrast. This is...
Ouch! I'm even getting it from Pete! I see Greg has gotten to you. So let me just say this, again:   GO STEELERS!    
I'm from Pittsburgh... GO STEELERS!
Wow! Has anybody ever seen http://tinyurl.com/23urfrn (My Strange Addiction' Focuses on Unusual Obsessive Behavior Bizarre Uses of Blow Dryers, Ventriloquism and Toilet Paper)?   And I don't say that to poke fun or be mean. But, some people do some.. uh.... interesting stuff:   Lori Broady could not live without her hair dryer. Since she was eight years old, she says, she couldn't fall asleep without it turned on next to her in bed. a woman addicted to...
Greetings! I did a quick search of ChefTalk and found a pretty good thread at: http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/11904/george-brown-college   Also, try using the search box at the top of the page... there are quite a few threads that may be of interest to you.
   Sound advice! You will experience so much, writing it down will be one way to recall it in the future, as well as help commit it to memory.    Please, oh please, don't say "I know how to do that" implying that you know anything of what you are being shown. At best, it comes as off as overconfident. At worst, it comes off as cocky. Either way, you will not get the education that an internship so potentially holds. There is more than one way to everything in a kitchen....