or Connect

Posts by Jim Berman

Hi, Dillon. Can't give you much advice on the red seal path as that isn't something I have experienced (being in the US.) What I will tell you is that experience matters! Work, work, work! Pick an establishment that will work you, that handles volume and some scratch cooking and you will be marketable. As you work, keep your eyes open and your focus on everything around you. Watch when inventory is being taken; look at the ordering process; be part of prep; listen to the...
...and I would add... Lead by example. Somebody is always watching. The one time you toss a half onion in the trash because you don't want to put it away properly, somebody will see that as a sign to waste produce. Don't step over trash; pick up that little scrap of paper, that lone leaf of lettuce. Let them see you taste and correct and correct. Share! Teach! Be enthusiastic... it's contagious. Work harder and smarter than everybody else. Praise in public. Scold in...
Thank you, @Nicko, for tapping me for input. One of the aspects that I see missing from the discussion above is the resting time. It is soooooo critical to allow fresh pasta dough to rest. I have read anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. I go with the latter. I will often make dough in the morning, allow it rest (covered, gently oiled) all day and then roll out in time for dinner service. Once the resting period is over, do not work the dough any more. A proper rest will...
You know, we are just this online community, but it truly feels that we often know each other beyond the confines of a computer screen. Pete's loss is real and the impact is touching so many. Warmest thoughts to his family and friends.
 What @petalsandcoco said. Onward and upward. The hug.... you are classy!
I don't usually just repost/pass along blogs, etc. However... and a big however... this really popped off the screen at me and I wanted to share. Maybe you have items to add... http://harvestamericacues.com/2014/04/11/life-lessons-from-a-line-cook/From: Harvest America Ventures, LLCRestaurant and Culinary School Consulting, Training and Coaching
Couldn't agree more!!! Does a well-made burger trump a mediocre porterhouse? Dang right!
Have you seen this? Some great/fun skin art. Wherever you fall on the ink/no ink discussion, there are some nice pieces out there.  
@Chefross - exactly my point! Can you fault this particular chef for what he serves? There may be a million reasons why he is serving it this way (budget issues, skill of kitchen, etc) but if the place is busy and is profitable, does that make him less of a cook? Would I be happy with that type of preparation? No. But, if the public is buying it (hence, Olive Garden on a 2-hour wait!) does that make it ok?   Thank you for sharing that!!   @AllanMcPherson - you aren't...
@AllanMcPherson really boiled it down. Do you compare yourself to others in the arena? I don't mean for the sake of business. I mean for the sake of pride/crazed bravado. Do you see what others are doing and it pushes you to do more or be reflective on what you do?