or Connect

Posts by Jim Berman

I really appreciate you saying so. I am reeeeeally craving! I am giving it a week or 2 to see how I feel. Thank you, again, for sharing your insight!
ChefTalk is the digital home for many people; you have created a great place! Thank you, Nicko, for all you have done. Happy birthday to you!  
Perhaps it boils down to this: Culinary school is a start; it is foundational and formative. But, a start, nonetheless. It is what is done with that start that will determine the path. Yes?
Hey, Phil. Yes, he is VERY anti-grain. He makes some pretty serious claims about grains playing a role in some hefty maladies. I am trying to read it and process out any rhetoric or off-skew perspective and am having a hard time finding a 'gray area.'  I am going to do something I have never done before: follow somebody's advice! Haha! I am going to follow one of his suggested menus (which looks a lot like the Paleo diet) for a week to see how I feel. I notice that I get...
David Permutter's newest,  ​  makes some mighty big claims. I just started getting into reading it - and it is scaring the mess out of me. Wondering if anybody is reading/has read it.
True! Thank you for passing this along, Pete!   There is nothing in the article that is new, rather it puts into words what many already know. There is a sense of entitlement. Either way, now we have to deal with/employ/otherwise motivate these employees. So, we know the issue. How do we make it work?
Thanks, Scrappy. We have a lot fun with our community service programs. And there are definitely 'profits' that are realized, but just can't be counted. Like the experience my students have in sharing their knowledge by leading and teaching. Or the potential these youngsters may realize from being exposed to an interesting learning outlet. Or the businesses with whom we partner; the spirit of service is often contagious. And, you never know... any one of these participants...
Thank you all! We had a great time and I think our young friends enjoyed themselves. I feel there is value in creating opportunities merely for the sake of exploration, even if just to color the days.   And, Goldilocks... if you are hosting, we can gladly bring our show on the road... I have not yet been to England but am willing to travel.
Just wanted to share a little 'proud papa' moment... Last week, we hosted 40 children (ages 8+) from the Kent and Sussex County Summer Education Program for children of migrant farm workers for a day of cooking, Iron Chef-style.  Produce from Kent and Sussex farms is brought with the children from the farms on which their families work. We partner them with former students, local chefs and other friends of our program....
Hi there! This is a great place for exactly the resources you seek to find. I would suggest tunneling through the students' forum... your inquiry is share by many. You may get some great insight. Good luck with your adventure!