or Connect

Posts by mycroftt

You can only chill water to 32 degrees whether it is being chilled by water ice or dry ice. Adding salt will allow the water to get somewhat colder. Placing dry ice in water causes the dry ice to become coated with a layer of water ice which will be 32 degrees (or somewhat colder if you salted the water).  I doubt using dry ice in salt water would cause a significant reduction in cooling rate.    If you wanted to test it use identical amounts of water heated to the...
My 50th birthday came on formal night while I was at sea on a cruise. I was decked out in a black tuxedo complete with top hat and white gloves. My wife surprised me at dinner by having arranged for the waiter and his assistant to bring a decadent chocolate cake with a candle for the desert course. They joined in singing "Happy Birthday" as did some of the people at the nearby tables. For their participation in this most memorable 50th birthday I tipped each waiter $50 in...
I think that's the point I was trying to make - I use 'em up before they get stale. :chef: I don't find some old container of thyme that was behind the refrigerator for 6 years and use it in a dry rub. :eek: :D
I view making rubs as a good way to use up the dried herbs and spices that are aging on the shelf.
As a reformed collector of worthless kitchen gizmos I now try to stick to Alton Brown's advice not to buy "single-purpose" items for the kitchen - except for the fire extinguisher. I had an electric coffee spoon that calculated how many spoonfuls of coffee you needed. Somebody must have given that to us as a gift because even I wouldn't purchase such a worthless item. It emitted an annoying beep every time you moved stuff around in the drawer. Finally I just tossed it.
I had a buddy who worked as a bartender at a restaurant a couple miles from a dive bar where we all hung out. One night a bunch of us were drinking at the dive bar and had some girl call the bar at the restaurant where our buddy was working. Our buddy answered and she ordered a couple of dozen clams on the half shell. He asked her if she was coming to pick them up and she said "No, I want them delivered to the dive bar" and hung up. We all got a good laugh at the prank...
They keep it interesting. I would say that garlic is an ingredient in just about every dish sold there but there are cooking demonstrations, bands, etc. They sell all kinds of garlic-related junk, too, like sauces, cooking tools, and the ever-popular hat that is shaped like a garlic bulb.
I've eaten at The Stinking Rose in San Francisco a few times. It was very good - even the garlic ice cream. If you get a chance go to the Gilroy 9CA) Garlic Festival - you can smell the garlic for miles. :lips:
Greetings from Northern Virginia USA. I'm a home cooking enthusiast who likes to take it a step further than most home cooks. I love cooking, watch mostly cooking shows on TV, and love flipping through cookbooks. I learned to cook from my brother when we were young, single and sharing an apartment. He had just graduated from Johnson-Wales culinary program and was a pretty good teacher. My wife is a great cook but she doesn't enjoy doing it after a hard day at her...