or Connect

Posts by karendf

quick question:   what is the main difference between standard sugar and white refined?  My answer is that it is a step less refined than white.  But my question and concern is if it has some different reaction in recipes...In general i've used it and it doesn't seem to, but I've been told that for fine desserts and cakes we should use the refined one.  This might just be because there might be some impurities (small pieces of non-sugar stuff) in it.  Any one have a...
I agree with all the cleanliness arguments and certainly when we're talking about livelihoods, it goes in file 13!   But another take on this,living in Mexico, people eat on the street an awful lot, and I know even myself I have gotten sick from badly washed vegetables (cilantro).  While eating on the street is pretty much a no-no for me, I have to say that most Americans get sick an awful lot compared to people from other countries.  When I first came here that also...
Sorry for taking so long to get back, I'm been busy at work and baking goodies to sell.   Back to the rhubarb crust, the recipe calls is a flaky piecrust, but it never reached that point, is was raw.  Flour, salt, butter, and ice water, and shortening (I used manteca vegetal, Inca)  The recipe says to have it 1/4 inch thick which sounds too thick to me, but anyway, and it was baked in a ceramic dish.     I really didn't like the filling either, too syrupy for my...
Perhaps, this will sound weird, but I can't stand super chipper waiters or waitresses like the kind at Red Lobster or Italiannis...I'm not their best friend, I just want to eat.  I actually would give them less of a tip for being such busybodies!   I could never do that work!  Yes I agree on the pepper and the parmesan cheese...  
WELL, no I'm not a student anymore...BUt it wasn't a B.A. either of B.C. Bachelor's in Cooking???     but I think I'll rather be a life-long one...   but listen the curious part is that a chef friend from a nice restaurant in town (Ivoire) came and helped me, and said the same..nope...you gotta bake that first!  I didn't listen and my stomach was worse for wear.   I even looked at the CIA book on the technique and it was interesting to see the pre-baking...
Quick question:   The recipes I'm finding for rhubarb pie do not ask for pre-baked crusts....which seems not right.  I made one last week from a recipe book called Sweet Melisaa without baking the crust and it never cooked, wasn't too happy.  Seems like runny fillings should have pre-baked crusts, am I right?   have a good one.  
You feedback has been wonderful, thank you very much. That link, Bazza, was very interesting as well, i'll have to share with others, it merits a closer look. My question comes from a homework I was given, but we weren't given much guideline. But it is very interesting. We were asked to plan an Italian menu, and the thing that the chef seemed to emphasize was that Italian cuisine is, it sounded like, at least in Italy, as orthodox, things are done one way, as...
This question runs the risk of being either stupid or naive..but here goes. What basic rules do you follow when planning a menu? If you were to plan for Italian, for example, would you stick with dishes from one region? Would you combine from different regions? I'm thinking out loud, but there seems to be some logic for sticking to one region, either to show the variety, or star dishes from that region, or spices available, or ingredients available from that...
Thank you for your advice for the stains, they did come out by using some bleach plus hydrogen peroxide, my hands worse for wear, and I just picked up some oxy clean for my current problem, also with chiles. I made mole poblano, which isn't too exotic as moles go, but a standard anyway, and others in my group made manchamanteles...now that was an elegant deal. My mole musn't have been that good (although I ate it and thought it was pretty good) because I got an 8. I...
Well, I will try the boiling water method later and see how that goes. As far as the mole...it was poblano, well, about three types of chiles, sesame seeds, clove, tomatoes, onion garlic, I'll pull out the recipes later...but be patient since my home computer crashed. Hazelnuts sound wonderful...must be rich. The other one the manchamanteles was really good...like wedding type dish, really extravagant and lovely... Of course you know when couples get serious they...