or Connect

Posts by CStanford

Go ahead and bolt, love.  I surely would. 
 Cool, you have tattoos.  Is your home kitchen and your professional library as equally tricked out?  If one nickel of your expendable income went to ink that should have gone to your chosen profession then it's tough to be taken seriously.  I don't know for sure.  But you do.  Is it time to get serious?  Maybe so.Too many think there is a shortcut to craftsmanship.  There isn't.  But you're right about trend-following.  A while back it seemed to be harissa.  I swear...
There's no doubt "ink" is an interesting social phenomenon.  That said, the problems I had over the years with employees seemed directly proportion to the amount of ink/piercings they had.  I had one guy who must have had a serious five figure investment in tattoos and various piercings.  Quality stuff.  Always asked for advances on his paycheck.  I told him if he hadn't spent so much money on ink that I'd probably be working for him and not the other way around.  I also...
I see your predicament.  They need to understand that the way it works is that they ask the chef and his staff for their take on "such and such."  You make a couple of versions after service one day, let them try it, and then sit down to discuss where that dish might be headed.   Maybe do it anyway.  Make your version, put it on a plate, and let the ball be in their court.  If they don't feel like trying it, have it for lunch. :-)
They're too busy figuring out what tattoo to get next and where to score a bag of dope after work. 
"I am the sous chef in an extremely small restaurant."   An extremely small restaurant is exactly where I'd expect to see some amazing things coming out of the kitchen.    What, specifically, are you having trouble holding at temp?  Maybe we can help.  What's the holdup in such a small place?    Seems odd that they get excited about some kick-a$$ dish they saw on FN, then run it as a special, then don't give a damn how it looks or tastes in the end?      Some...
Hollandaise is a good test.  Who in the world could be interested in a career in the kitchen and not master at least a few sauces from the French repertoire.  It's as much a test of your curiosity as anything else.     I used to ask a candidate to describe the last killer menu they did in their home kitchen, you know trying out new stuff - meal for a spouse, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc., and if anything in the list clicked with our pantry I would let them cook something...
Why does he need a referral?  He's already been offered a new job and has resigned his current job (with your establishment).  Sounds like the new gig is in the bag.
Nobody can give you advice without knowing more about the restaurant in which you work.  For instance, if you told me you were just made 'head chef' at a Thomas Keller spinoff of the French Laundry my advice would be completely different than if you told me you'd just been made head chef for the morning shift at Denny's.   Tell us more.  A lot more.
What kind of restaurant is this?  What kind of cuisine do you cook?  How long has the place been in business?  What you've described sounds like a thoroughly unprofessional hash house with the lunatics in charge of the asylum (except maybe for you).  Now, don't go and tell us this is a Michelin starred restaurant.  Be honest.