or Connect

Posts by CStanford

Quote:What a humongous load of BS on so many levels it leaves me at a loss for further words.  You need a career do-over in some real kitchens is all I can come up with at the moment.
You understand it's not a professional, high quality kitchen.  You're just going to have to figure out for yourself whether the ownership group really wants it to be one (or can afford it). If they say the do and the money is not a problem, then the obvious question is why is it in such sad shape then?   There's no reason for almost any kitchen not to be set up on the model of a fine restaurant.  If you have more than one employee then that implies some sort of...
Starches, as have been mentioned. 
France.  I became fluent but was already fair when I got there.   If you pick one place to go, this is it.  Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.  It's still Mecca.
Read:   http://www.amazon.com/Garde-Manger-Craft-Cold-Kitchen/dp/0470587806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439844735&sr=8-1&keywords=garde+manger   As a start....
Try your post again when you get off Tuinal.
Grind it yourself from quality cuts and charge accordingly.  Anything less is just another burger.  Where's the accomplishment/craftsmanship/creativity in that?
Not only has the rigor of the program gone down its placement services have as well (if we're to believe the OP).   LCB graduates cooking burgers on a line?    Something is amiss.  Terribly so.
An LCB graduate doesn't know how to cook a hamburger?  We're describing the visual cues to 'doneness' of a piece of meat to an LCB graduate?   Something is wrong.  Must not be the same culinary eduction I got there.  I honestly can't imagine graduating from a major culinary school as a vegetarian and never tasting the protein products one would be expected to prepare FLAWLESSLY before being handed a diploma.  Clearly, the rigor has gone out of the program.  What a shame.
Yes.  Pretty much like any profession you need a formal course of instruction.  You can hunt and peck your way, for years, and assemble a body of knowledge but a quality culinary program will vastly shorten the learning curve.  You need to lay the base and then add to it with practical experience in quality kitchens.  You get into quality kitchens when you're young by graduating from a well-respected culinary school.  After that, it's all on you.