or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

Price aside The Hiromoto is a no brainer between those two but it looks like it's sold out in 210mm. The JCK original ES is VG-10 as well but it is $25 more than the Hiromoto, although F&F is better.
Don't over look the JCK house knives. I've had a VG10 WA Gyuto for several years now that performs very well. IIR Koki has a series with Swedish steel as well which you may want to look at if you are considering Misono.
It's been a long time since I worked for Disney but little has changed with the fact that Orlando is a good spot to start out as a Chef. There's plenty of quality work, decent pay and a reasonable cost of living. Traffic is heavy and you will need transportation. Plenty to do and only an hour or so from the Ocean. If you do interview at WDW I'd suggest avoiding Epcot. It's far more European in structure than the Hotels, MK, etc. When I left the average employee in the MK...
Get involved with the ACF ASAP.  There's some politics but welcome to the real world. The only downside is that it takes a bit of time for meetings but cost is minimal and certification can be a bonus. At the very least there's a sense of accomplishment. The biggest gain with the ACF is the connections you make. As Kuan suggested you don't have to join a local chapter however being a member at large is counter-intuitive unless you are constantly travelling.
I've used a 5K Naniwa SS you several years now. Soft, easy to gouge, dishes fast but works like a charm. When I replace it I will get the Chosera and not look back. Beyond that I use an 8K Kityama.
Hello right back from a fellow Michigander!
Very nice photos PP! I totally agree KK,, Compound butters just don't get used enough. They take a little skill and some time but are not that difficult.  In years past it was not at all unusual to see a finishing touch with a rosette of compound butter. Always a lovely option.
  It's not uncommon to serve starch beside the Papillote but don't put it in the packet. I'm assuming you are choosing this method to save time at service. That means the fish needs to be pre-wrapped and you do not want raw fish setting on starch for an extended period before cooking. This would also complicate consistency and can create far more problems than it may solve.If you do use a thin white fish make sure your cooks are using a very fine Julienne.I would not use...
You will likely want some sort of liquid when cooking en Papillote. Especially with a firm flesh fish that may not have a lot of moisture. You are relying on steam to cook the contents in the packets so a splash of white wine or fish fume is common. Not sure if this is a method I would suggest with white fish as many are too thin or delicate and can over cook before the Veg is done. If using Parchment I'd suggest lightly oiling the paper and not the fish. A great way to...