or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

A few common brands that get little play here, Messermeister, Gude and F.Dick. Gude being the stand out in that group for an up-grade. solingenmade.com - Knives and Scissors by Güde
Now there's one I don't hear a lot any more. I've had a few Globals for years. The gyuto is a titch thinner than a Wusthof but that's about it. For the money both the Mac Pro and Masamoto are the stand outs on this thread to me although the Hiromoto looks very tempting. Here's a spine shot of the Global Vs the Wusthof and a wide heavy Wusthof. FWIW I wouldn't buy another Global nor do I suggest them to any one unless you have handled one and happen to love it. The OP may...
You need to wade through the jargon a bit because the term "salamander" is using the vernacular. A cheese melter is a salamander as is a swing broiler as they both heat from the top down like a broiler and are open on the front. Typically and most commonly a "salamander" is a small open broiler over the range. What are they typically used for? Spice racks, holding plates etc.:lol: I'm only being slightly facetious here but they don't have a lot of use in most commercial...
Instead of relying on a super soft stone to help a noob with angle feed back I think a knife guide is a better choice. A Chosera under 5k is not exactly a hard or difficult stone to use and in the 1k range the price difference is minimal. If you struggle on a Chosera under 5k you will likely struggle on many other stones. In short a SS is not easier to use save for the fact that it doesn't need to be soaked. The notion of using a mounted stone for feedback in regards to...
A country club or private club might be an option as well.
You may want to consider knocking that chip off your shoulder (pun intended) as your imagination is a bit over active. You were not miss-quoted. I think you should read your own posts. What part did I leave out? The bit about your dad (the pro?) thinking he could split a pelvic bone by hammering a knife through bone? :lol: I never said you mentioned a gyuto I just posted a direct quote from your post, one that you are now trying to alter and attach caveats too....
No but I should have taken the pic that way. It would have been a lot easier than trying to move that darn thing with out it falling apart! :lol: BTW Nice use of urn filters.
The 1k mounted SS is $35 plus freight at tools for working wood (has any one here actually bought any thing from them?). A un-mounted SS is $45 at Chef knives to go. The 5k SS mounted $50 and the un-mounted $75. Total at tools for working wood (if they actually have them in stock) is $93.11 Say the magic word at check over out at Chefknivestogo and you save another 5% plus shipping is free. Total $112. If less than $20 is apples and oranges it might be time to re-think...
As I noted I would not suggest a SS under 5k unless you are pressed for cash. To me that's the same as being on a budget. That's about the only reason to chose a SS over a Chosera under 5k. Buying a mounted super stone to save $ seems a bit short sighted unless you are going to do very little sharpening. The lower the grit the less sense it makes to pick a SS over a Chosera as the price disparity is significantly less on the lower grits. Not sure how that applies to...
What are you ever going to learn in a chain **** restaurant? How to open Sysco boxes and nuke pre-portioned food? Find a Chef or a real cook and learn a craft even if it's not five star dining. If you are just starting out you are un-likely to get hired at a high end establishment any how. Working for a chain is just accepting mediocrity. Are there really no BBQ joints in your area? IMO the experience you might gain there would be a lot more valuable than oiling the can...