or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

Unfortunately I'm not finding much in small Hobarts. I had a small Berkel in the past that was a very good machine but Berkel has been bought out by another company. I'm not sure if that impacted their quality at all. The problem with the Globe is that it's just heavy enough that it will only ship by common carrier but the Berkel I'm looking at can go UPS. I'm Still waiting on one more local bid and I found a local shop with re-builds (Hobart, Globe) that I need to check...
Change that to eating out 20 times a month at it describes a lot of people I know to a T. :lol:
Back to the OT, Check out www.Chefknivestogo.com I ordered stones from mark earlier this year. I ordered on a sunday and had a tracking number the same day. Every thing was here in two days and well packaged. The free freight over $60 really helps the cost. You may want to search before you order as they always seem to have a code for 5% off. This month the code word is.....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh November. :thumb:
A few common brands that get little play here, Messermeister, Gude and F.Dick. Gude being the stand out in that group for an up-grade. solingenmade.com - Knives and Scissors by Güde
Now there's one I don't hear a lot any more. I've had a few Globals for years. The gyuto is a titch thinner than a Wusthof but that's about it. For the money both the Mac Pro and Masamoto are the stand outs on this thread to me although the Hiromoto looks very tempting. Here's a spine shot of the Global Vs the Wusthof and a wide heavy Wusthof. FWIW I wouldn't buy another Global nor do I suggest them to any one unless you have handled one and happen to love it. The OP may...
You need to wade through the jargon a bit because the term "salamander" is using the vernacular. A cheese melter is a salamander as is a swing broiler as they both heat from the top down like a broiler and are open on the front. Typically and most commonly a "salamander" is a small open broiler over the range. What are they typically used for? Spice racks, holding plates etc.:lol: I'm only being slightly facetious here but they don't have a lot of use in most commercial...
Instead of relying on a super soft stone to help a noob with angle feed back I think a knife guide is a better choice. A Chosera under 5k is not exactly a hard or difficult stone to use and in the 1k range the price difference is minimal. If you struggle on a Chosera under 5k you will likely struggle on many other stones. In short a SS is not easier to use save for the fact that it doesn't need to be soaked. The notion of using a mounted stone for feedback in regards to...
A country club or private club might be an option as well.
You may want to consider knocking that chip off your shoulder (pun intended) as your imagination is a bit over active. You were not miss-quoted. I think you should read your own posts. What part did I leave out? The bit about your dad (the pro?) thinking he could split a pelvic bone by hammering a knife through bone? :lol: I never said you mentioned a gyuto I just posted a direct quote from your post, one that you are now trying to alter and attach caveats too....
No but I should have taken the pic that way. It would have been a lot easier than trying to move that darn thing with out it falling apart! :lol: BTW Nice use of urn filters.