or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

The real question before any one can extract the best method is how big is the Rib Eye? While an internal temperature of 100F is always 100F the same internal temperature does not yield equal results on all steaks.  A 12 oz boneless Rib Eye brought up slowly to an internal temp of 100F will already be over done for some and will have a much different result in terms of "doneness"  compared to a 24oz rib eye @ 100F, which will still be very Rare and can then be seared...
 In almost every major city there are numerous corporations that have private contracts with companies like Aramark, Host, etc. The vast majority of these are not douchey jobs like the lunch lady or retirement homes. One of the best kitchens I ever had was in a secured bank building for Executives. Work was M-F, No nights, No weekends, No holidays. Most of my cooks worked 7:30-4:00.  That kitchen was freakin amazing. Salaries are lower but quality of life is a nice trade...
  You might want to consider picking up a 3" thick Maple cutting board. There are a few companies that make them in this thickness in both end and edge grain. Brunoise is one place a laser absolutely shines.   Dave
I really like the Dexter Russel Oyster knives with the Sani-Safe handle and they make numerous blade styles. The problem I've always had with wood handled Oyster knives is that the blade eventually comes loose.
Luke...May the force (meat) be with you! (Sorry I couldn't help myself). I've a soft spot for Susan Spicers place so that would rate very high on my list. However no trip to NOLA would be complete for me without a stop @ Cochon Butcher for a Muffaletta. There's so many great choices in NOLA but Herbsaint would also be worthy of consideration.   Dave
If you want flowers from the Onion family you might want to try Chive flowers. They are abundant this time of year and a very pretty purple. Chives are also easy to grow, plus you can do any number of riffs on Chive mashed spuds so the garnish is not only edible but cohisive.   Dave
Most ovens should have a broiler so if you don't have access to a grill I'd either broil or pan sear and then finish in the oven.   Dave
Never under estimate the value of a gift certificate. Buying a knife for some one else unless you know exactly what they want = Bad Idea. Buying high end knives for a new culinary student = Bad Idea. Let your daughter use the knives the school provides. They provide them for a reason. Save the knife gifts until she can tell you exactly what she wants. If you are seeing a disparity in advice here that's beacause there's a disparity of actual work time as a...
I have a Western handled IT Inox 270mm Suj. If I had a Mulligan on that I'd go with a 300mm instead. I also have a 120mm petty and 185mm Gyuto. The small Gyuto is unique and very handy. I grab it just as often as any of the 240mm+ Gyuto's in my kit. Congrats on starting with some great knives.   Dave
    Import taxes have little to do with any vendor. If you owe import taxes then that's the way it is no matter who you order from. Creative accounting and the luck of the draw @ Customs can have an impact but most etailers will not fudge numbers to help your tax bill. That's an unrealistic expectation. Web sites that say any thing about import taxes simply state that all taxes, duties, fees etc are your responsibility. JCK charges $7 for freight. That has nothing to do...