or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

I agree Ed and the Pastry Chef I mentioned from years ago was very talented. Read exceptional and hired by a large property management group for a city club. I still don't think that salary would have been there with out that CIA paper. Putting that in perspective for the same region when I left Disney in '89 IIR the starting, base wage for an Exec Chef was around 58k. No way to get that job or salary either with out a degree and this is why I advocate so hard for...
    The simple truth is that it's going to vary from Chef to Chef. The person to worry about is you. It's in your best interest to finish a whole year on your first job. Imagine how it would look if you leave now and the new job doesn't work out. Put that first year behind you. That way you always have that reference. Use the next six months to scout out prospects and if you get the right job offer then make a decision but at this juncture be selective. Six months is...
    IMO agents are bottom feeders. Either way that's going to cost you a lot more $$$ to go that route and it's no guarantee that you will get some one better than you hire on your own. That's really not a very efficacious way to go for a small business. If you were running a multi-million dollar management operation for CC's and city clubs spanning a huge geographic area then that might be a viable route. Advertise yourself. It's important to find some one you trust and...
  Input on what exactly? You haven't told us what position or even if you are being offered a decent salary. Darden has some nice concepts including Bahama Breeze and the Capitale Grille. If this is a corporate position as an Exec it might be a good opportunity. If this is for a Kitchen Manager or Working Chef it wouldn't appeal to me unless it's for a very specific unit like the Chicago Capital Grille with a competitive salary and solid benefits. If this is for any...
If you use the oven put the Duck in skin side up. There's nothing wrong with seasoning your food after you cook it. Let your protein  rest before cutting. No need to add fat to your pan. Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it turns out.   Dave
I do use the paste for a riff on Dauphine potatos that can be piped into single servings and baked or piped on plate rims etc. Makes a great border on just about any thing cedar planked. Add some tomato paste for Marquis potato if you want a different spin.   Dave
    You certainly can finish in an oven if you want. It's a very common technique for finishing steaks, dense meat fish etc. It looks to me like you seared your Duck at too high of a temp. This is pretty common for people starting with Duck because every one wants that nice crisp skin. I would not pound the breasts like Chicken. As far as timing goes I'd agree with butzy. I'm a lot closer to 15 minutes skin side down.     Dave
The best two methods I've found for keeping coats clean or bringing stained coats back to life is to soak in Oxyclean at least over night and some times longer for heavy stains. I had very good luck with that. The only other stain removers I found that really worked were made by Amway and pretty darn expensive but they last quite a while and they work.   Dave
Not sure if any one watches Top Chef but IIR a winning dish on the last episode was squid stuffed with ground lamb. Sounded pretty awesome.     Dave     http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/lamb-stuffed-squid-on-black-rice-with-coconut-milk   http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/434243
   I'll give you what info I have if you want it, although I seriously doubt that's the case since you could have asked first....... but by all means shoot me a PM, email or better yet just pick up the phone and call me!   BTW The Pastry Chef I mentioned was around 1985 so the graduating class was 26 years ago. The general assumption here seems to be that every one that goes to school is a total dilettante with zero experience and will start at the bottom after graduation...