or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

Irrespective of carbon or SS  you will want to spray your plates and blade after use with silicone or they can rust. Carbon just rusts MUCH faster and usually wears faster. I can't say enough good things about the LEM #12 I picked up. The auger is machined very well and the thing is built like a tank. I can't imagine going back to a small hand grinder or KA with all the schmearing. The Westons look mighty nice as well but they cost a good bit more $$$. LEM carries both...
  The last thing I want to worry about is rust in every hole in a carbon grinder plate. I can't fault the love of carbon but there's a reason companies like LEM, Weston etc primarilly use SS plates and blades. If you can't get SS blades sharp don't blame the steel. In short using SS blades and plates in regards to cutting performance in modern grinders is a non-issue. Maintenance is key with either material (there's just a lot more of it with carbon) as is quality of...
Well said. The other nice bonus with Germans in a professional setting is that no one will steal them every time you turn around. I still have Germans in my kit and they work just fine.
I'm not so sure you are having a problem. The forum page there is still blank and was a few days ago when I checked as well. Not working on a Mac or PC here. 
 I prefer to char peppers on a BGE or at least over charcoal but a gas flame works as well. I want to cook the peppers at least enough to soften the flesh a little so they are pliable. Once they are charred I rest them in a brown paper bag or at least covered so they steam for a few minutes and then the skins come right off. I clean near running water but never under running water. I just open the peppers with my hand and slide the flesh between my fingers. Then I rinse...
    Plastic is not "more sanitary". Once you scratch plastic it holds bacteria. Not even running it through a dish machine will always sanitize it which is why the Health Department makes us toss scratched plastic boards. Maple butcher blocks have been around for over a hundred years. Both Boos and Michigan Maple Block began making them in the 1880's. Some one mentioned their bathroom being cleaner up-thread. I doubt that. Most of us sanitize a cutting board after every...
There was a time (20 years ago) when Schoolcraft was pretty much the pinacle of CC culinary programs. IIR they had six CMC's at that time which was more than the CIA. However that was a long time ago and that program is not nearly what it used to be. Remember with any of these programs once you leave the area no one has heard of them so don't put too much stock in one program over the other. OCC has had a solid reputation for the last several years and MCC has been...
I'd say any one who is thinking JCK has any issues with after purchase support probably has never purchased from Koki. I've bought from Koki and give him very high marks. Any dealer can have an issue but of all of the dealers listed in this thread it's mighty rare. JKI, Korin and JCK all offer service and support that should keep any one happy. As far as cutting boards I'd avoid Birch. It's not "bad" compared to plastic, glass or bamboo etc but it's not nearly as...
Like others I'd sell the set and use the profits for a better set up. A 240mm Gyuto and 120mm pairing alone can take you a long ways. There's nothing wrong with a single combi-stone to start and it's cost effective as well. Not sure why every one has such an issue with flattening stones. It only takes a few minutes. Two sided stones do not take any longer to flatten than two separte stones of the same grit. The "starter" kits are not the best value IMO irrespective of...
I doubt you've ruined any thing just don't let the roast get overly dry. If it starts to get a point where you are worried about that wrap it up tight with plastic wrap. Drying is as much as most home cooks can do and IMO it's certainly a step worth taking. FWIW if you have a dedicated fridge there are ways to convert them so you can control temp/humidity. This will allow you to get a true aging process going. Some butcher supply stores sell the kits so you could always...