or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

I don't think you are going to find a lot of videos by Dave on CK2G but the thought is amusing. The Vids by Jon on JKI/Youtube are excellent and if the Murray Carter vids are still on boobtube look for those as well. Be careful looking at others as there's a lot of people postings vids that will teach you more bad habits than good.
There are plenty of single steel knife options available. Spend some time at JCK shopping as well. Forget the starter sharpening sets no matter who sells them as you just wind up buying crud you do not need. There's no need for a 500 and a 1200 grit stone when starting out. BTW that kit is just a clone of Dave Martell's kit with out the DVD. Pick up a single 800 or 1K and a 3-5k stone. Those two stones will carry you a very long ways. Chosera stones are an excellent...
Never sign a contract you don't understand. That's universal in life. Make sure you are getting advice from a lawyer specializes in contract/labor law.  IME No-compete covenants usually cover a 20 mile radius and have little to do with the type of food. In many cases the Chef's reputation is far more important than the genre. As an employee the only reason you should be getting into these sort of agreements (IMO) is if you are taking on a large corporate position...
I sincerely hope no one is loaning $$$ and paying interest on a knife.  I'd ditch the Mercers toot sweet if possible with out going in debt. I don't agree at all with the notion that buying better knives won't improve your skills. There's a learning curve for every one and that curve is much steeper with dull knives. I'd suggest looking for some used Wusthof/Henkels or other German knives. You can find them pretty darn cheap second hand. Watch some videos or try to loan...
  I don't see loyalty as an issue in this case.  In the Mid-West we have a lot of people that five years ago were making solid six figure salaries. The auto companies/suppliers have been calling many of those people back to work. It's a bit unreasonable to think that some one making a career move is going to keep grinding it out for two weeks.         No offense to Twyst and as I posted I handle things pretty much the same way when I don't want to give a positive...
As Pete said. Bread and into the fridge. There's no problem at all pre-breading before service. We used to line up speed racks of pre-breaded product in the cooler.   Dave
I would never give any one a bad reference unless you like defending lawsuits. While it doesn't mean the other party will win if they file a case, legal fees are expensive and you won't get very far with future promotions if your employer starts fighting lawsuits. Remember it just might be you looking for a reference in the future. For any of my people that were exceptional I always gave a letter of recommendation at their exit interview. For those I don't want to...
I've been hearing about this on the news for weeks now but at least on a retail level I haven't seen a spike in prices here. For home I did put a few strip loins and briskets in the freezer just in case prices get a little carried away. Gas OTOH is $4.30 a gallon here!   Dave
I think the longest for me was about 45 days at an Inn but that was a looooong time ago. What I think about more often is how many non-stop hours I've worked with out sleeping.   Dave
Where's that bottle of kitchen bouquet when you really need it?