or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

I would never give any one a bad reference unless you like defending lawsuits. While it doesn't mean the other party will win if they file a case, legal fees are expensive and you won't get very far with future promotions if your employer starts fighting lawsuits. Remember it just might be you looking for a reference in the future. For any of my people that were exceptional I always gave a letter of recommendation at their exit interview. For those I don't want to...
I've been hearing about this on the news for weeks now but at least on a retail level I haven't seen a spike in prices here. For home I did put a few strip loins and briskets in the freezer just in case prices get a little carried away. Gas OTOH is $4.30 a gallon here!   Dave
I think the longest for me was about 45 days at an Inn but that was a looooong time ago. What I think about more often is how many non-stop hours I've worked with out sleeping.   Dave
Where's that bottle of kitchen bouquet when you really need it?
As a patron; Steal my CC info. As an employee; Knock over an entire speed rack of stem ware.   Dave
That's some very nice knife work Missy. The next stone I would suggest would either be a 5K Naniwa SS or a 3K 'Rika from Dave Martell. I use the 5K SS myself and have had it for several years.   Dave
There's only one change I would make there and that's to pick either a stiff or flexible boner. Most tend to prefer one or the other so there's no need for both. I prefer a pairing knife as well but many opt for a slightly longer petty. A Nakiri or Santoku is not in my kit but a cleaver fills the same space.   Dave
  That's what a fighting chair is for!   Dave
Mark is charging $20 just for finish sharpening. That is not thinning behind the edge and those knives need a fair amount of work. $20 is not even going to get you close. Far better off IMO just spending the $170 from Jon on a WA Gesshin Uraku and having Jon set the edge for a Lefty. That's a very good price from JKI considering Koki is now charging $170 for a VG-10 Kagayaki. @ Jenniflop, I haven't seen one of these but since you started with Carbon you may also want...
The Richmond knives need a lot of thinning behind the edge which is one of the reasons I suggest looking for a used one. That takes a fair amount of work that's beyond resetting the asymmetry of an edge. Either of these knives are going to require some work, as will most knives in this price range. That issue is compounded further to some degree with you being a lefty. Remember you are shopping a price point that's lower than a Mac pro and prices on many knives have gone...