or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

I'd say that's fairly subjective. A factory edge is not a solid reason to pick one over the other. Before you jump too quick you might want to spend some time on KKF watching the classified section and reading about both of these knives. The Carbonext has a loyal following but if you pick up a used knife over there it will probably be in much better shape considering the amount of work either of these may need. You might also score a much better knife for your price...
  I think just about every one that's worked in this field for any amount of time knows that feeling. When I started working for the Mouse I was expediting in a kitchen that did nearly six figures a day. The minute the doors opened the printers would take off on a tear and not let off all day long. In addition to all of the good advice you've already been given; when you find your self in a challenging position try to make a mental "game" out of the situation. Your mind...
Mmmmmmm Fresh Caught Mahi is just awesome. We caught several Mahi last summer on a Tuna fishing trip to the OBX  but they were all smaller chicks and no nice Bulls. A 55 # Mahi is a dandy!   Dave
  Clearly some have a vastly better work ethic than others. I spent two years under a CMC in a major concert/sports arena and then spent a few more as an Exec for a large hotel near the same venue. I'm sure there's a few stories I might share with Chef Petals or Twyst over a cold soda but posting on line about Celebs you cooked for reminds me of something the same crowd that would go on line and whine about their Chef would do. It's just poor form.   Dave
Go ahead and call me Gobsmacked that any one could confuse Amberjack with Mahi. The fillets are a much different shape. Mahi is one of the easier species to identify when looking at fillets.  I've never seen Amberjack  in a retail market but things do have a way of changing over time. We used to smoke some but most consider it a scrap fish.   Dave
  But you'll make an exception for us?   FWIW I noticed today that Korin now charges $25 for this.   Dave
The Costco Mahi is a very good product. Not all frozen or IQF fish has STPP. I'd like to say there's no reason to use STPP on any IQF fish because the fish is encased in ice and that already adds plenty of artificial weight. Sadly this is becoming more and more common and the real crusher is that STPP is not required to be listed on the label. I still think it's unlikely that you received treated Mahi. Scallops and frozen "white" fish like cod, flounder, sole or...
  I've always thought TN is a little dyslexic in this regard. They seem quite split between dry rub and vinegar/tomato sauce. Texas OTOH is all about the Meat. +1 on the Corn Cake.   Dave
    I spoke with Mari @ Korin recently and she assured me they can order any current production product Masamoto makes. AFAIK Korin never carried the KS as a standard stock item. Korin will also special order when they are having their bi-annual sale (which should be soon) and give you the sale price. They now price match as well. I'd suggest heading over to KKF and sending Mari in the Korin sub-forum a PM. If/When you want a funayuki you will already know exactly what...
  If your going to be superstitious it's only bad luck to give a knife if the recipient doesn't give a coin to the person giving the knife to them. In some cultures giving a knife is a sign of respect. Setting that aside I've used Dexter's for years and used them for gifts to my cooks many times. They work just fine but the notion they will "out perform" a Masamoto is more than a bit of a stretch.   Dave