or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

Most ovens should have a broiler so if you don't have access to a grill I'd either broil or pan sear and then finish in the oven.   Dave
Never under estimate the value of a gift certificate. Buying a knife for some one else unless you know exactly what they want = Bad Idea. Buying high end knives for a new culinary student = Bad Idea. Let your daughter use the knives the school provides. They provide them for a reason. Save the knife gifts until she can tell you exactly what she wants. If you are seeing a disparity in advice here that's beacause there's a disparity of actual work time as a...
I have a Western handled IT Inox 270mm Suj. If I had a Mulligan on that I'd go with a 300mm instead. I also have a 120mm petty and 185mm Gyuto. The small Gyuto is unique and very handy. I grab it just as often as any of the 240mm+ Gyuto's in my kit. Congrats on starting with some great knives.   Dave
    Import taxes have little to do with any vendor. If you owe import taxes then that's the way it is no matter who you order from. Creative accounting and the luck of the draw @ Customs can have an impact but most etailers will not fudge numbers to help your tax bill. That's an unrealistic expectation. Web sites that say any thing about import taxes simply state that all taxes, duties, fees etc are your responsibility. JCK charges $7 for freight. That has nothing to do...
I can't say I've ever noticed this with VG-10 but I wonder if we're getting a bit lost in the minutia of some obscure defintion. If pressed I would describe VG-10 as being a bit lifeless compared to G3 or 19c27.
  The Suisin WA Inox Honyaki is about as good as it gets in a standard production knife. There's not many blades in that category IMO. The Ikkanshi-tads and the Masamoto KS are about the only others I'd place in the same league with out getting into stratospheric price points. There are certainly others nipping on their heels at a better price point but I could pick any of these three and never buy another knife.
Like the others I don't own or use a Santoku, I don't really see any downside to one either if that's what you want. You've narrowed your choices to two knives that are very close in quality and price point. I'd take the Kagayaki for the slightly better steel considering it's only a few bucks more but it's not like you can make a "bad" choice here.   Don't let a simple choice turn into paralysis by analysis. Pick the one you like and enjoy.
The Fujiwara is made from Moly so for me that won't make the cut based on your requirements. It's also HRC 57 compared to the Kagayaki @ HRC 60. Additionally the Kagayaki is ground 70/30. The Fujiwara is inexpensive which is really it's best point but spending $14 more for better steel, better grind and getting a knife that will hold better edge is an easy choice. With the 70/30 grind you will certainly notice the difference. I've never found any of the Kagayaki handles...
Glad to see you over here Knerd. How's the new job?   Dave
The Kono and Sakai have taken a price jump so IMO the KS becomes almost a no-brainer as long as you are ok with carbon. I dig my Ikkanshi's but I'm not at all convinced those being made after the factory was sold and moved are the same knives that were so highly regarded prior to the Tsunami. The Suisin Inox Honyaki is equal the the Ikkanshi's of the past but if that's the flavor you like I'd hold off until June/July when Korin does the 15% off sale.  I'm not in the...