or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

I use whole black peppercorns that I crack or lightly crush. Season, Sear, rest.   Dave
The ACF does get involved with competition but after participating for years on a National level and in Chapters in multiple states the I'd say the majority of ACF members never enter a competition for medals. Competition is a very small segment of what the ACF does but an important one.  I agree with Kuan that both CC's and Hotels are dominated by ACF certified staff but Hotels really put the emphasis on that. This shouldn't be much of a surprise as these...
Nothing to worry about at all. I'd use a cast iron pan and skip any oven work on a steak that size. Rib Eyes cook very fast unlike a Tenderloin or Top Sirloin. I usually use Green Peppercorns in sauce. Black Peppercorns are are cracked or crushed work really well on seared steak. Enjoy!   Dave
There's no need to add oil to a Rib Eye if that's what you mean. They have plenty of fat even if cut from the Sirloin end. Searing Peppercorn smells divine. Many moons ago when I worked @ The Brown Derby they did a steak with massive amounts of peppercorn pushed into the surface of the steak. When those hit the broiler...oh my!  Good ventillation is a bonus.   Dave
 You've said you left a four year university but we have no idea if that means you have a degree. If you already have a degree the only reason to go to culinary school would be to learn to cook. Hopefully, most of your basic credits would transfer to what ever school you choose. Verify credit transfers before committing to a program. Any accredited culinary program should finish with ACF certification.  Every one qualifies for certification as long as you join the ACF...
I've never tried this but it was quite popular a few years ago so you should be able to get a lot of ideas if you get your Googlefu on. I've been wanting to toss a Jack in the coals of the BGE the next time I burn it off and try a riff on a Caribbean salad. I would expect that at least visually you should be able get a nice pseudo pulled pig. In the whole vegan vein my personal favorite is mock poke made with roasted beets.   Dave
Ya gotta love a Chef with a restaurant called the Fat Duck.   Dave
It's very hard to over cook poached Salmon so that's surely a "Pro". If your new to poaching Salmon one technique that is very fast and easy is to slice thin escallops and fan them. You can poach Salmon this way in a very shallow pan and it cooks very fast so for a line cook that's a HUGE plus. This method is also far easier to gage a finished product (just touch it like a steak with your finger tip) Vs trying to tell if a submerged fillet is done perfectly. Better yet,...
The real question before any one can extract the best method is how big is the Rib Eye? While an internal temperature of 100F is always 100F the same internal temperature does not yield equal results on all steaks.  A 12 oz boneless Rib Eye brought up slowly to an internal temp of 100F will already be over done for some and will have a much different result in terms of "doneness"  compared to a 24oz rib eye @ 100F, which will still be very Rare and can then be seared...
 In almost every major city there are numerous corporations that have private contracts with companies like Aramark, Host, etc. The vast majority of these are not douchey jobs like the lunch lady or retirement homes. One of the best kitchens I ever had was in a secured bank building for Executives. Work was M-F, No nights, No weekends, No holidays. Most of my cooks worked 7:30-4:00.  That kitchen was freakin amazing. Salaries are lower but quality of life is a nice trade...