or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

You can't go wrong with Mark at CKTG. Be sure you search for a discount code before you order. You may want to try "knifeforums" or the month as the magik word. ;) I wouldn't worry a lot about which stone flattener you buy. Just pick up what ever Dave or Mark has if you order from them. They both carry flatteners as well as knife guides which is a great way to learn. You don't need felt pads, a strop or a 6k stone to start. Ease into it. Get a DVD, the edge guide, a...
No. The meat needs to release moisture to dry age. That's not possible with frozen flesh.
If you have a secondary fridge that will fit a half sheet pan I would suggest putting the beef on a wire rack. If you have fridge with coated wire racks you could set the beef right on the rack and put the pan underneath as a drip pan. With dry aging what you really want is air circulation all the way around so the sub-primal dries evenly. "For a 10 lb roast how long should I age? The last one I did was 7lbs and I did 3 days" Your not going to dry age meat in three...
It's a pain to dry age meat at home in your fridge. Dry aged meat really needs to hang and is not covered. That's not to say you can't improve meat quality in your fridge but it's a lot easier to wet age a whole sub-primal in a cryovac at home than attempting to dry age. This should only be tried by those with a large enough fridge and on a whole prime rib or whole NY strip unless you have a band saw to cut Porterhouses and T-bones from a sub-primal. I can fit a strip...
One favorite? No way. :lol: Montreal- Queue de Cheval, The biggest indoor charcoal grill ever. Killer dry aged steak. Maine- The White Barn Inn-True five star service. I also like Redds Eats for a lobstah roll in wiscasset but you have to wait in a looooooong line. It's worth it. Hawaii- Merrimans in Waimea. Vegas-Charlie Palmers Aureole Chicago- Alinea or Frontera. Nawhlens- Acme oyster house Nassau- Graycliff
"Morels, in MO have a 2-3 week season. They are brown, yellow or grey.....morels have distinctive conical shape and grow around numerous varieties of trees....damaged elm, apple, willow....etc." Here we get white morels as well. To me the whites are the best as they grow a little larger and have thicker flesh. I have had better luck freezing than drying. I have never picked chanterelles but I really enjoy foraging in general. It's getting very popular here now. I see...
I have some *utco's that were a gift. My wife likes them. About all I can say for them is that they are good about replacing them when they die. They cost 5-7x more than they should as they are lower in quality than forschner, Sani-safe etc. The biggest reason I can see for an average home owner to buy them is free sharpening. Shun does that as well and you can buy a much higher quality Shun for the same price. I'm not a big Shun fan either but even their base lines are...
"my new best friend, BarKeepers Friend" Barkeepers friend is great isn't it? If you do decide to go with a LeCrueset enameled pot in the future check out Costco. I paid $170 for a 7 quart oval. About $50-60 less than other stores. ;)
Korin has the Mac on sale, Japanese Knife - MAC Knife
Welcome to CT! I may not be reading your question correctly but I'll try to help. I can't give you any feedback on LCB. The ACF is not a "program" per se. Most Culinary schools in the US work with the ACF to be accredited so upon graduation students are certified cooks. You do not have to be in culinary school or in a "program" to join the ACF. You typically don't get a education from the ACF. They have conventions and local chapters so you may learn plenty from being...