or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

Why? As far as I know there are no health code restrictions for hot holding times here. If a hot item like soup is over 140 degrees it is in the safe zone. By those standards we would have to pull numerous sauces several times a day and pitch them. IMO that's way over the top. In fact I not only hold some for several hours we cool properly and use another day. If it's outside of the HACCP temps then two hours is about it but that's another story. Who tosses out demi,...
I don't know if this too late to help the OP. Since it's early Christmas morning here please forgive the cut and paste response from another forum that I made in the past. I hope it might help the OP. If you have a polder thermometer I find them very helpful at home. Merrry Christmas! Carmelize ribs; Pre-heat ovens to 450. Cook ribs with chuck ends facing fans (home ovens may not be large enough to load in this manner) for 40-60 minutes or until internal temp of 55-60...
I use to do a smoked prime rib every Christmas. I'll echo what BDL noted about too much smoke. It's easy to do with a prime rib. What worked well for me was to smoke the roast lightly and then finish it in the oven as normal. The real trick with a prime rib is to get the conversion process to take as long as possible much like a pork butt. If you can't get the grill or smoker cooler prop the door if you can. I want to extend the hold time on a prime rib several hours....
What happens if you put your knives in a drawer with out a slotted block? Do they pick up some sort of disease or try to mate? Maybe I need to toss a Masamoto and a Wusthof in there over night and see what happens. :rolleyes: :lol: I never understood why people get in such a twist about tossing a knife in a drawer. I toss mine in a tool box and have for many years and they see a lot more movement than a kitchen drawer. The only issue I see with the drawer is that over...
"I will admit that par-cooked risotto is done by many restaurants, but the term GOOD Risotto is not attached with that technique" Some one forgot to send Thomas Keller (and numerous others) the memo that par cooked risotto is not good. See page 88 in The French Laundry cook book.
Cream in carbonara? Noooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:
Merry Christmas to you as well and to every one here at Chef Talk.
I can see that that you have matured well beyond your position. Just because there are left overs does not mean there is waste. The two are not the same. In many private clubs the Chef is just as likely to get in a pinch with a food cost that is low. The Chef does not just answer just to the GM but typically a board of the members. FC is supposed to be higher than most restaurants. That's why the members pay to join and have minimums. As others noted if the food cost...
Five Star ranges are on a much lower quality scale than Viking or Wolf or BS. Five Star and Wolf today are pretty much sealed burners. Not my first choice. The Five Star dealer network is VERY limited and one of their distributors went out of business. Unless you are in the Chicago area Five Star may not be the best choice or even an option. What Five Star does offer is a product that is priced between a standard home owner range and the Wolf, Viking or BS. BS is now the...
Sa basically you went over your Chef's head and tried to throw him/her under the bus. I don't know about any one else but I value loyalty a heckuva a lot more than a Sous Chef that thinks they know what's best. A few things you may want to consider. A party usually comes with a budget. Unless you are setting in the professional staff meetings or meeting with sales or the catering director you may not have the full picture about what was sold or ordered. If you cut your...