or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

I can see that that you have matured well beyond your position. Just because there are left overs does not mean there is waste. The two are not the same. In many private clubs the Chef is just as likely to get in a pinch with a food cost that is low. The Chef does not just answer just to the GM but typically a board of the members. FC is supposed to be higher than most restaurants. That's why the members pay to join and have minimums. As others noted if the food cost...
Five Star ranges are on a much lower quality scale than Viking or Wolf or BS. Five Star and Wolf today are pretty much sealed burners. Not my first choice. The Five Star dealer network is VERY limited and one of their distributors went out of business. Unless you are in the Chicago area Five Star may not be the best choice or even an option. What Five Star does offer is a product that is priced between a standard home owner range and the Wolf, Viking or BS. BS is now the...
Sa basically you went over your Chef's head and tried to throw him/her under the bus. I don't know about any one else but I value loyalty a heckuva a lot more than a Sous Chef that thinks they know what's best. A few things you may want to consider. A party usually comes with a budget. Unless you are setting in the professional staff meetings or meeting with sales or the catering director you may not have the full picture about what was sold or ordered. If you cut your...
I'd rather store my knives in a drawer than use a magnetic rack. Many Chef's carry their knives in a box which on average likely sees more abuse getting carried than a knife drawer. Magnetic racks make my toes curl like a cheap electric grinder. While I like Wusthof I'm not a great fan of the Ikon. Having said that Kevin if you think they are just what the doctor ordered get one! The Mac is a fine knife but it is thin, stamped and the handle is nothing like the Ikon. I...
A fondue is prepared to order and not being held or at least one would hope that is the case. A fondue also considerably thicker. Clotting should not be an issue in a soup. Assuming the OP was using milk as a base and not heavy cream then seperating proteins may have been killing the soup.
Why in Gods green earth would you put lemon in a beer and cheese soup? That's likely the culprit. You also need to watch the temperature as it sets. There is no reason you can't hold a cheese soup with out it breaking.
No matter what brand of Gyuto you get I would lean towards 240mm. As you already know I think option #2 is the way to go. If nothing else you can get a feel for length and make a better decision about the need for a utility and a slicer. What's the worst that can happen? You pay a few dollars more to ship a second order? I don't think you can make a bad choice out of your #2 list and you could always just go for the Mac bread knife. FWIW I like the Guede or on a more cost...
If you ever get tired of that Mauviel Windsor pot Sam you can send it to me. :peace:
I'm glad to hear you found what you like. I noticed some Viking cookware at Sur la Table recently that looked very nice. I hope it serves you well. :)
"I had to google 'endosperm' " It may interest you to know that corn starch is made from the endosperm of corn. ;)