or Connect

Posts by DuckFat

Did I read between the lines?? You are quoting me and talking about ruining some ones reputation and "Chef's" that need to loose their title. Just a thought but if your going to quote some one and then drop a bomb like that in the same post it might be nice if you were a bit more succinct about who you are talking about. If that bit about ruining some ones reputation wasn't directed at any one here who was it directed at? Some one not involved with the conversation? Sheesh...
WOW! Since your quoting me in that post I have to wonder what brought you to hurling insults my way. I'm not the OP and I have no idea who the person is that you are talking about or if they are a Chef or not. You might consider taking another look at your own posts before you start making statements like that. Plain and simple.
Does it matter? After all we all know the reputation of James Beard or even Escoffier or Prosper Montagné. If we know their reputation then certification becomes a bit moot at some point. In the case of an unknown that's another story.
IMO You can be a Chef with out being certified but certification offers credibility. In my book if you are certified by the ACF or one of the other credible organizations world wide then yes you are a Chef or a cook as your certification indicates. You've proven that not only with a test and education in some form but with verified work experience. Not that others can't be Chefs but in the Case of the OP's antagonist if he would have responded.... I'm an ACF certified...
That's true but not entirely accurate. DO's for example today are for all intents and purposes the same as a MD. Two different medical phosophies but both doctors. Some medical schools (MSU) have both programs on the same campus so you just missed a few that have earned the title Doctor. Your dentist may be a Doctor as well if he/she is a DDS or DDM. ;) I don't know if any one can regulate the title Chef. I bet if we took a poll only a fraction of those who would say...
What we know for a fact is that the OP is NOT interested in a Boardsmith board so all of that is way OT. All of the other brands the OP has mentioned are NSF rated so what makes you think they don't care? I'm not saying your wrong, after all I did fail my psychic hot line exam! :rolleyes: Since a NSF rated board doesn't cost any more to me it seems like a totally inane point. If your happy using boards made in China or made with who knows what kind of glue by all means...
Here's a few more that are pretty interesting. The fist three are from a Mitsuwa market event. YouTube - Cutting Up Bluefin Tuna - Part 1 of 3 YouTube - Cutting Up Bluefin Tuna - Part 2 of 3 YouTube - Cutting Up Bluefin Tuna - Part 3 of 3 YouTube - How to Filet a Fish (Tuna for Sashimi)
"Maybe Pembroke (UK) works under different regulations than we do in the States" I'm sure that's true I was just hoping to understand why. If food is in the HACCP zone then it is safe and there should be no need to throw it out. If I prepare several prime ribs for dinner service do I toss them after two hours? That just doesn't make any sense to me. If you have to toss hot food every two hours why even bother worrying about HACCP?
You don't have to be a "professional" to buy an NSF rated product. I have no doubt there are manufacturers out there importing wood from unknown origins and/or making boards in China with God only knows what kind of chemicals and glues. I have little doubt NSF is far from perfect but it's at least some North American based certification that the material is safe and that is just as important to me at home as it is at work. Besides it's not like an NSF rated board costs...
I think you already explained that earlier in this thread and I don't want to get to far OT. I will say that arguing with a health inspector is futile. I spoke to a friend involved with board production and the explanation I received about NSF was a bit different than what you have have posted. I'm not doubting you at all but we all know what it's like to get one story from some one on the phone and another story from the same place next time you call. At the very least...