Posts by SeabeeCook

I am looking to fill 1 Head Cook and 3 Prep Cook positions at Oakland Feather River Camp in Quincy, California. While the pay isn't great, it's a rewarding job for someone that's between regular gigs. If interested, please PM me and I will send you an application and reference form.   The Head Cook (informally known as the Sous Chef) assists the Food Service Manager in all areas of food preparation, kitchen staff supervision and scheduling, leading and monitoring all...
I would suggest converting your scone recipe to weights. From that point, you can use baker's percent, where the flour is always 100%, to convert the recipe up or down. Do some research on baker's percent. It's a much more accurate method for producing consistent baked goods.
Here's the response from a chef friend on Facebook: "140 qt are very cumbersome to get the bowls around, clean, scrape the bowl, transport, dump, etc.. Unless you need many batches/day in a 140, I'd definitely prefer 80. Regarding falafel, I prefer a more continuous method of mixing instead, that being pushing it through a meat grinder."
I used the 140-quart mixer when I worked in California prisons and in the bakery at NAS Lemoore. I don't remember a lot of specifics about the machines now (this was in the 70s and 80s), but the bowl is heavy. The best way to transport a loaded bowl is on a dolly or truck.    
 You may want to place a disclaimer on your menu, something to the effect: "Although our oven has been thoroughly cleaned, or gluten free pizza are baked in ovens that may contain wheat residue." I suspect someone with celiac disease will avoid a pizza restaurant (I could be wrong!).
I am writing training material for my cooks on food allergies. The best place to find information on gluten is the Celiac Disease Foundation at https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/sources-of-gluten/. The article covers sources of gluten, label reading and cross-contact. This was written for people with celiac disease, not those who follow current fads.    
I picked up my phone as the county health inspector was leaving my kitchen yesterday. The last thing he said to me was, "Make sure you wash your hands when you put the phone down."
In the Navy, we baked the roux for brown gravy in the oven. The recipe (AFRS Recipe O-16) called for equal parts fat (pan drippings) and flour, by weight, to be mixed in the roasting pan (same one the roast was in), then roasted at 375 degrees for 30 minutes in the oven until browned.   We used to take this process a step further and mix a large quantity of fat (usually melted shortening) and AP flour in a roasting pan, then roast in the oven until browned, stirring...
I do not (mostly work in camps and institutional programs now). I've intentionally been to two Triple D joints, one in San Jose, Calif., and the other in Reno, Nev. The California place was good. It rose to the hype. However, I wasn't impressed with the Nevada restaurant. I thought I did a better job at their signature dish than they did.   I've been to one or two others where I just happened upon the restaurant. I can tell you that the Squeeze Inn (Sacramento, Calif.)...
The other option is to locate in one of the larger cities where the local population may be more open to international fare. You may also have more business travelers and tourists that would enjoy a "home" meal. The down side will be higher operating costs. Just a thought ...