or Connect

Posts by SeabeeCook

I worked as a dietary service supervisor at a California skilled nursing facility over 30 years ago. As @fatbob166 said, SNF food service (and health care in general) is a different world. There are hundreds of rules that must be followed to the letter (in California, most come in the form of Title 22 of the state regulations).   Here are a few areas to pay attention to:   1--Cooking will be the least of your challenges. While you may be able to improve on the quality...
The difference here is international travel. You may want to ask the airline now to see if the cutlery roll will raise red flags, even when it's traveling in the belly of the plane.
 Opened the walk-in door on my wife one time. No good!
Steph ... It sounds like you're on the right track. Over the years, I've developed a series of Excel spreadsheets that help me track my expenses, budget, etc. The type of reports that you need depends of the segment of the industry you're in. Restaurants generally track food cost, labor cost, etc., as a percentage of gross income. However, in non-commercial food service (institutions), food cost is usually accounted for via cost per person per day. At my camp, where I work...
While it is nice to know where your vintage or antique cast iron cookware was made, it ready doesn't matter in the end unless you're going to sell it. My philosophy toward cast iron is this: If it is in good condition and seasonable, it's going to be put to work. Otherwise, I'll sell it or give the piece away. I don't want any iron in my collection that cannot be put to work. I don't collect museum pieces. This philosophy helps limit the size of my collection.   All of...
It's always easier to help if you describe what are you doing in detail. I use an earlier version of Pro Baking (4th, I think) and have never had a problem. Do you weigh ingredients? Or measure? My standard formula for biscuits includes 35% fat and 65% buttermilk. Other ingredient include 6% baking powder, 0.5% soda, and 1.25% salt.
I've been taking ServSafe for over 20 years. The manager course is usually 8 hours, although you can challenge the course and take the test only. All you need is an instructor to host the exam. I once sat in the instructor's office and took the exam without study. I now take the National Registry of Food Safety Professionals exam from my county instead of ServSafe. The county offers a 3 hour refresher class for those who know the material.
Pozole is good stuff. Like you I load up my cast iron and haul it to the campground.
 There are two sets of minimum temperatures at work here. The FDA Food Code (and CalCode in California) requires 155-deg. internal for ground beef. However, because meatloaf is a mixture of ingredients, it should be taken to 165-deg. or higher. I've noticed that most temperature charts designed for the home market, including those printed by supermarkets, add 5 degrees to the FDA minimums.
Everything steak and potatoes. Whenever I look into the glowing coals of a campfire, I think steak, with a rib eye in the lead.