or Connect

Posts by Penguin

As a home cook I make large batches of caramelized onions, then freeze them flat in quart size ziplock bags.  They freeze great and you can easily break off a chunk.  I generally break off a 2 inch chunk of onion, finely dice while they are still partially frozen, then thrown them in my dish.  It saves so much time prepping for dinner.  They have never been mushy.    I follow the same set up for roasting chili's and freezing them for later to save on prep time.  
I usually cook several pizzas all in one night.  We eat one fresh out of the oven for dinner, then slice the remaining pizza's and freeze them already cooked.  When we need a quick meal from the freezer, I pull out a few slices.  Let them thaw for just a few minutes, then broil at 500F for 4-5 minutes.  It reheats nicely and you get a re-crisping of the crust.  It's the best option we've found so far.  Honestly nothing beats a homemade pizza right off the pizza stone...
I experimented with a bread maker for a year with new recipes each month and disliked everything I made. I felt like it didn’t do a good enough job kneading the dough- I could taste milk, flour, yeast- not bread. I gave it away and found a large bowl and wooden spoon did a better job at kneading. Like others have mentioned I was frustrated with odd loaf shape that was challenging to be useful and with the paddle creating a hole in the bottom of the loaf. My favorite...
I have been very pleased with my Cuisinart with the freezer bowl as well.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I didn't mean to cause offense, I was just curious on your experience and thoughts with the ingredients.
Chefhow, but wouldn't you agree it's the free glutamic acid in MSG that is the important ingredient not the sodium. With AYE containing as much as 30% free glutamic acid, why wouldn't you classify them as the same thing? I believe the FDA has finally ruled that AYE and Hydrolyzed proteins are different names of MSG due to their high content of free glutamic acid and not sodium. Am I not correct in thinking that free glutamic acid can be created from many different...
We don’t care for dark meat and to keep the dinner simple this Thanksgiving, I purchased a free range turkey this year with nothing added to it. I had the butcher remove the wings and legs so I just have the breast remaining. I’m using the wings and legs to make some turkey broth tomorrow and plan to brine and roast the breast for Thanksgiving. I’m recovering from a pretty bad concussion and had hoped to keep this simple but by changing things I’m not sure what...
Here is a link for a great cupcake recipe that is dairy free and egg free. I've heard that gluten free flours work very well in the recipe too but personally haven't tried it gluten free. I also don't use Splenda but assume it could work as well. Some nut free parents avoid almond extract so just skip the almond extract and use vanilla extract. Baking an egg free cake is very challenging because egg alternatives don't have the ability to lift a full cake but cupcakes...
Thank you so much for the direction on how to use the poolish piece for future loaves, I'll give this a try next week. Glad to hear the feedback has helped, however "intelligent feedback" is a bit of an overstatement. I'm currently recovering from a pretty bad concussion and my thoughts are a bit scattered and jumbled right now. I really like your Orange Walnut bread as a straight wheat bread because it is unique that it's a quick yeast bread that isn't enriched with...
I have been making this bread recipe twice a month for the past several months and it has turned into my favorite dough to work with and my favorite to eat (even passing up Peter Reinhart’s bagel recipe). The dough is so soft and silky it is my easiest recipe to take to the window pane stage (I still haven’t figured out why some of my recipes are easier to knead than others). The dough is incredibly soft but never sticks to my hands when I knead. My husband and two year...