or Connect

Posts by Penguin

Here you go: Flour tortillas 2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt 2/3 cups warm water 2 TBSP oil (can reduce to 1 TBSP) Combine flour and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine (or mix by hand). Combine warm water with oil and gradually mix in. Pulse just until a ball of dough forms, then remove from food processor and knead for 10-20 seconds (knead only enough to combine the dough. Tortilla dough will not roll out well if gluten is...
I’ve been reading Peter Reinhart’s Whole Grain Bread book and was intrigued with his Steamed Boston Brown Bread. The dough is poured into coffee cans, then is cooked on the stove top in a large stock pot partially filled with water making a perfectly round loaf of bread leavened with baking powder and baking soda. I’ve never heard of this method before but after a few searches online it looks like it's a common technique. I’m wondering if any sweet bread...
I got out the food mill, immersion blender, mortar and pestle and sieve today spent the evening testing textures. I broiled tomatoes and sautéed some diced tomatoes. I tested fresh tomatoes along with frozen, then started combining suggestions and came up with a winner. The texture is absolutely perfect and my husband said it’s the best salsa he has ever had! Here is the winning combination: 10 roma tomatoes, diced and sautéed over medium heat for 10 minutes. Drain...
I have a mortar pestle I use often to grind spices but never thought to grind up tomatoes- interesting idea! Thanks!
I haven't tried a food mill or pressing through a seive- both are great ideas and I'm sure one of these ideas will give me the texture I'm looking for from the fresh tomatoes. I'll start experimenting and let you know which one worked out. Thank you, thank you! In real life, I personally don't know any chef's and just LOVE this forum. I search through the archives often and have learned so much from all of you- thank you! I feel at home here with everyone's passion...
This has been my same understanding and experience for sauteing rice in oil before cooking. . .
What great suggestions- thank you! Bughut- I do make other salsa's where I finely chop the tomatoes by hand with a chef's knife but this salsa has a very runny consistency that I'm looking for. Maybe it's the fond childhood memories it brings back but I love how different it is from other salsa recipes. I think the immersion blender after roasting or sauteing the tomatoes would be a great option to try next. I also have a small food mill that I'll try as well. Thank...
The past few months I’ve been trying to duplicate the complimentary salsa that was served at a little Mexican restaurant my family and I ate at when I was young. I’ve finally got it down and it turned out to be very simple: 1 can of diced tomatoes, pureed until smooth ½ jalapeno, diced 1 roma tomato, diced 1 TBSP onions, diced Chili powder Cumin I puree the canned tomatoes in a food processor until they are smooth, then add in the jalapeno, chopped...
I too prefer my chicken pot pie with a biscuit crust. I make my sauce pretty thin as the biscuits absorb a lot of the sauce. It's great right out of the oven, but amazing the next day.
I make a lot of pretzels but cannot picture what you are trying to do. Are you saying you want to make a pretzel, remove the entire center, then sell it? I don't understand the reasoning, can you explain?