or Connect

Posts by French Fries

You can if you want to but there's really no need to buy anything to start fermenting sauerkraut. I feel like we tend to buy too many kitchen tools and we tend to think that new techniques require new tools, but that's not always the case. I don't think the Romans had an airlock on their sauerkraut jars.   
I use a large mason jar to ferment my kraut for 6 to 10 weeks. I never want my jars to be airtight, I want the gas created by the fermentation to be able to escape. I just place a towel at the top of the jar so that dust cannot enter but gas can escape.  These are more or less the instructions I'm following: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-193124 This is my choucroute garnie:  
Thanks! Well I did get an email, then a call from American Range, so thank you for that. They recommended a technician and I went with him. The tech came and said the oven burner, the oven igniter and the broiler igniter were busted and needed to be replaced, he replaced them on the spot, took a little over 2 hours (which seems long???) and the cost was... $680 !!!! Price of a new oven. Ouch. 
They are MY way to go, for sure. Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that there are way too many harmful chemicals and not enough nutrients in 'conventional' foods vs 'organic'. The use of quote is because IMO, 'conventional' should mean 'grown the good old way', meaning organic. And what is nowadays called 'conventional' should be called 'genetically enhanced and/or chemically treated', which is everything but conventional on a large time scale (AFAIK, most harmful...
I've used Penzeys for a while but realized that you can ingest quite a lot of chemicals in spices, so I switched to Mountain Rose Herbs which sells organic spices. Very good quality as well. 
I don't believe the rennet in commercial cheese comes from animals anymore:  Fermentation-produced chymosin (FPC) is by far the most common form of a milk-coagulating enzyme used today, according to the WCDR. Potter said that approximately 70 percent of all cheese is produced with FPC, while approximately 25 percent is made with microbial coagulants and the remaining 5 percent is made from calf rennet. Source: http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2008issue3/update_renet.htm
• Lebanese cabbage salad (cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic).  • Crapiauds du Morvan (mashed potatoes, sour cream, egg, flour, parsley, diced swiss cheese)  
I would just get a rolling pin and cut with a knife. 
The press is harder to use than it looks. It will not give you a perfectly even thickness either, and you may not be able to control the thickness as much as you want, leaving you with a product that's thicker than desired. It's also hard on your arms. And you are also limited in the shape and size of the dough you flatten.    For those reasons I would favor the rolling pin approach. I wouldn't worry about the rolling pin being too long, in fact longer is better, you can...
My American Range oven stopped working yesterday. It's making a funny noise when you turn on the oven (like a slow soft and deep blowing sound) and it heats a tiny bit (the bottom back of the oven gets kinda hot to the touch) but stays below 200F, even after an hour of heating set to 500F.    Looks like I will finally have to call their customer service. I'll report my experience to this thread.