or Connect

Posts by French Fries

Dry. 
I was going to ask... and what you're describing is the experience I've had with salted edamame pods. Sounds like a fun snack, I'll try it soon!
Cool! I'll have to try that. So you eat the skin then? 
You have to approach the work with a Zen attitude. If it's just something to get out of the way before you can start cooking, then you're right, it's not worth it. But if you take pleasure in it, trying to do it right, without damaging the beans, it can become a fun activity. I like to share it with my kids or wife. Such activities calm me, and I can therefore enjoy them. But it's definitely a labor of love.    As for the price, I find fresh organic ones here for $4/lbs,...
No, I don't think it's too long.    Just about any ingredients work for a long marinade. Just know that acids (lemon juice, vinegar...) start the surface cooking (not necessarily a problem) and some enzymes (found in papaya, asian pears, kiwis, pineapple....) start chewing the surface protein (not necessarily a problem if you don't mind affecting the texture). 
First rehydrate in a bowl of cold water for about 24 hours. Then peel them, dry them well, and deep fry in corn oil or any frying oil. And when it comes out of the oil, I add lots of salt and pepper.  The tricky part is to get the right temperature, you want them crispy and not soft, but you don't want them hard like pebbles either (I've gone to both extremes and they taste horrible).
I eat fava beans on a regular basis. I rarely buy 2 pounds though as the cost is high and as you've discovered the yield is low. I usually buy only a little bit for a little salad, or as part of a larger dish such as couscous, a soup or a stew. I also love fried fava beans as a snack, although I use dried fava beans to prepare those:   
I'm with you. Terms like "Chef", or "Professional" (which you can find in other industries as well) are very exciting for amateurs. "Amateur Cook Magazine" wouldn't be nearly as exciting.  There's the real meaning of the word, and then there's how people use the word. Last time I went out to a restaurant with my dad, he started to explain to a waitress he knew that I was a Chef. I was pretty embarrassed and had to explain that all he meant to say was that I was a...
This is the one I got: http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1514   The description mentions "subtle caramel overtones", which is accurate. You won't find caramel overtones in palm sugar. I wouldn't use coconut sugar to season a Thai or Vietnamese dish - for those, palm sugar is perfect.    They taste about as different as they look. 
Then perhaps we're not talking about the same two sugars, because there's a huge, unmistakable difference in taste between the two (look at the different pictures by petals and cheflayne. They don't have the same texture, the same sweetness or the same taste at all. Or maybe the coconut sugar you got was more refined than the one I got (I got mine from Trader Joe's).