or Connect

Posts by French Fries

Thanks for sharing that video @Mike9 , it answers a question I had 5 years ago about pork brisket bones, which are very unexpensive at my market. Love them.    http://www.cheftalk.com/t/59283/accidental-tomato-braised-pork-brisket   PS: I would be curious to hear your rub recipe, if you don't mind sharing. 
??? I have to say, I have no idea where this is coming from. I thought I was being polite and respectful the whole time? I actually quite "like" you, Cerise, as far as forum friendships go, we even had a cool PM exchange... so the last thing on my mind would be to cause you any kind of disrespect. I thought my last post addressed to you was going to help you see that, but apparently it did the opposite? I thought that when you quoted my use of the word "others," you did...
Very interesting, thanks for sharing, I'd never heard of them. I'll try to see if I can find them at my Asian market!
Yes! How could I forget sauces and stews. Of course, perfect uses of a brown stock.  As for potato soup... I've never had it? I make potato/leek soup, but that's delicate, so I favor a white stock for that. Or even just water sometimes... depending.  But potato soup? Is it only potato and stock? Never tried that, sounds interesting!
I also do that with parsley. I conserve chopped parsley in a small glass jar in my freezer. When I need a bit for a hot dish, such as sautéed potatoes, I can open the jar, take a few pinches and place the jar back in the freezer.    Here herbs are a bit expensive, but when you buy a bunch it's huge. So freezing some is always a good idea. 
I find that brown stock has a richer, deeper, more complex flavor than the subtler, more delicate flavor of white stock. I may use a white stock for a shrimp risotto, but a brown stock for a mushroom risotto for example. Or for a more robust soup like a minestrone or a harira, etc... For your typical chicken soup I would use a white stock though. 
For a stock, therefore for the soup's broth when making a soup, it's rather simple, really:    - If you put the veggies raw near the end, your stock has the taste of raw/boiled veggies. - If you sweat the veggies at the beginning, your stock has the sweeter taste of sweated veggies.  - If you brown the veggies at the beginning (roasting in the oven, or sauteeing in hot oil), your stock has the more complex taste of golden-browned veggies.    I'm straying away from...
Man you're really not getting any of the credit you deserve in this thread! Sorry!! This is what happens when you quickly scan a thread and only have a few seconds to answer it. My bad, by "others" I meant "Cerise"!!! 
Another guy:    
Yes, some fresh chili that you slice, and if you don't ind the heat, put it all in there... like the Thais do.  Coriander... I'm sorry I meant cilantro, the fresh herb.  I had Asia in mind, I see others took the idea several steps further with 5-spice, ginger etc... lime too.