Posts by French Fries

Quote:I can't imagine how that method could yield any kind of decent result. If you like blue steak, just sear it on both sides, about 30sec per side, you're done. Don't carve, don't pass under the salamander.
What cut of beef are you using? And where are you buying your beef from? 
...grilled/smokey eggplant dip... (been making a lot of that here lately)
I would simplify until you find the culprit. For example I would skip the bay leaf. I've never tried using a bay leaf for 1.5 Hr in a pressure cooker but that sounds like way too much. When I use a bay leaf I'll use one for 1/2 hour (regular stock pot, uncovered), and it's strong enough!! I have to say I use fresh bay leaves so maybe that makes a difference, but I know that bay leaves are tricky because they can easily overpower all other flavors.
I've used them only in soups... never noticed any bitterness, but I guess that may depend on the carrots. 
I'm not Pete, but I'm sure his combo would work great with snapper and tilapia!! I say go for it. 
Crispy potato salad sounds great.    You could just keep the broccoli very simple and pan-steam it. Season with a little soy sauce, maybe some fresh minced garlic. Or some large sliced onions.    What goes great with salmon is sorrel, if you can find it.    Anything green would work here. Sautéed French green beans. Creamed spinach....   If you want to use your zucchini I would consider serving them raw, in a salad. Here's one I made (it was a side dish for...
If you're talking about my white pepper/turmeric/cumin/cilantro/ginger combination then yes, definitely works with snapper.  You could even consider marinating the fish with all those spices in coconut cream or coconut milk. A bit of fresh garlic would help.  Do you know if you can have the zest from citrus? Lime zest would be great with this. If you can't, no big deal.  Anything fresh you can get would elevate this dish further: Fresh ginger, fresh lemongrass, fresh...
I would leave the spices alone. Salt and pepper is all you need. It sucks that you can't get citrus because lemon juice goes so well with fish and seafood in general. But maybe you could try a bit of soy sauce? Some fresh ginger? Or a bit of minced garlic? Some melted butter? You could perhaps finish with some capers, and a few croutons in butter (I'm thinking truite Grenobloise without the lemon).    Edit: I just noticed the ginger powder. If you really can't get any...
 It's basically the exact opposite of a sear. What I do:Put some fat (oil, butter, lard, duck fat....) in a cold pan. Put the cold pan on low heat and immediately add your veggies (the fat is still cold. Some of the butter/lard/duck fat may still be solid). Immediately season the veggies so they start sweating (the natural water they contain starts coming out, preventing any caramelization). Slowly cooked until translucent and soft. I would love to hear @Someday's method...