or Connect

Posts by French Fries

So last week I went to a BBQ restaurant. One item on the menu was:   Texas style BBQ beef rib $32   I noticed the lack of "s" at the end of "rib", and the price (!!). It wasn't a fancy restaurant or anything.    What kind of beef rib is that? I love beef ribs and have been trying to grill them (I've never smoked anything in my life) to great success, and want to try some more, however the beef ribs I get are on the inexpensive side, and I can easily eat 2 or 3 of...
I also use it for tacos. Chop it finely, mix with cumin, oregano, chopped garlic, chopped onion and oil, fry, in the tortilla it goes with guac, sour cream, pico de gallo and cholula. 
I often buy it. Usually at Gelson's. It's the cheapest cut, I can feed my entire (small) family for a couple of bucks at Gelsons (which is super expensive). To me it's the perfect cut for "grillades", meaning cut thin slices, put a lot of herbes de provence and grill (if you want to get fancy you can also marinate with a little olive oil and crushed garlic, even chili flakes). Then on a very hot grill, couple minutes per side, done. I prefer that to the more expensive cuts...
I make a sans-tomatoes pizza, not sure if that qualifies for white pizza... I just brush the pizza dough lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle sliced red onions and bake. Meanwhile I prepare a creme fraiche+ dill+white pepper and put smoke salmon on it. Sprinkle with chives. A Wolfgang Puck recipe.      In fact you may want to revisit that thread: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/44415/what-are-some-good-non-tomato-based-pizza-sauces
So 25 cl. Or 250ml. Or .25l. Which is just over a cup. The metric system is soooo easy.  
You could make some sort of cassoulet... but IMO it doesn't sound like those ingredients would play nice with each other. Personally I think that reheated smoked chicken is unpalatable... so I would serve it cold. 
I once was served a burger stuffed with foie gras in a fancy restaurant, it was delicious. 
This?   http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Bread-Proofer-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B005FCZMU6/
That should work too, at least according to that dude...(recognize him?):  
Oh yes you can! And you get that beautiful golden brown color... same as if you placed the roast in a hot oven, kind of.   To render, you place the fat in a cold pan and heat very slowly. To sear, you place the fat in a very hot pan and continue heating very fast.