or Connect

Posts by French Fries

I don't understand that comment. Stock is made with water only. It doesn't make a difference wether you make a soup using a chicken stock, or use water and chicken bones when you're making the soup, in fact I'd argue that the latter will yield a better result since you haven't frozen or otherwise held the stock. For example, I make minestrone with water only, but I do like to add a ham hock or a piece of cured pork belly and an old parm rind, some herbs, aromatics, garlic,...
Oh I guess I didn't make it very clear kinda on purpose because it was so stupid, at some point I placed my middle finger near the edge of the blade and decided to push it against the stone that way. Definitely not one of my brightest moments. But the cut is healing pretty well I must say and is now painless unless I bang something (door frames etc...) with that finger. 
You're right in that we may not have tasted the same product. I've never bought stock from a can, only from cartons, and tried hard to get the ones with the best ingredient lists, the least sodium, etc.. but still it's such a far cry from homemade chicken stock that I don't bother anymore. I regularly make chicken stock, but if I don't have any on hand I'll use water. Or if it's a chicken based dish I'll use the neck, back and wing tips to make a quick stock. 
I like them seared and medium. I don't soak in milk (never tried). I don't add any onions, only garlic, sometimes thyme if I have some on hand, or parsley just before serving. I like lemon or even a combination of lime and chili. After the initial searing I deglaze with white wine or cognac and cook a little longer - I like my chicken livers not too rare. I wouldn't mind them rare if I was 100% sure of the source and freshness I guess.  Oh and garlic! Of course, some...
The pan would have to be very (too) hot to be warped when you add water. Adding water to a hot pan is a classic technique to deglaze the fond, I do it all the time. If that doesn't clean your pan (in your case it won't) then let it rest for a while, but in your case I'm pretty sure you'll have to go BKF and nylon pad, and start scrubbing for a long time, I'm afraid. I've also used 0000 steel wool in the past to eliminate stubborn marks like that. 
I disagree. I never buy stock at the supermarket, it's junk IMO. I would rather use water, and as was suggested earlier, I'll sometimes throw in a bay leaf, some thyme, some smashed garlic, black peppercorn etc.. or sometimes... just use plain water. I prefer it to store bought stock. Sure, store bought stock will have more flavor, it's just not the kind of flavor I'm usually looking for.  I do however buy demi-glace, mostly for steak sauces, but also sometimes I dilute it...
I've had this issue before (and I had to use a lot of patience to get my pan back to what I call a normal state). Here's what I learned from my own experience: heating the pan even on low or mid heat for extended period with the presence of a thin film of oil at the bottom of the pan and no food on top of that oil = you're creating those "seasoning" kind of marks.  So maybe after you tossed the peppers and onions, there was a nice film of oil on the entire surface of the...
Definitely not "normal". My 10 year old stainless steel pans don't look shiny and new, and they have a bit of gunk attached around the rivets that hold the handle - but they don't look anything like yours: they don't have tiny spots or huge marks. I chose not to season them.    I think you should ask yourself a question: do you intend to season your pan or not?    Yes? Then this doesn't look like a proper seasoning. Research seasoning and do it right.    No? Then you...
 WoW!!! That looks very good. Never had a tiramisu with cherry in it, why not, reminds me of Forêt Noire. Yours looks very tasty. 
Ok now that they're dried this won't do you any good, but maybe for next year? I recently went to a tapas restaurant and they had a very good dish where the peppers were simply roasted:   Shishito Peppers Crispy Prosciutto, Goat Cheese, Balsamic Syrup