or Connect

Posts by French Fries

Bit late to the party but the short answer is: yes. I rarely mop my ribs. In fact the only times I do mop them is when I make a marinade that has a strong character, for example a vietnamese fish sauce/lemongrass/cilantro marine, and I want a strong taste of the marinade. Then I keep mopping more marinade on top of the ribs.  Please understand that I'm not saying that one should never mop ribs. I'm just saying that it's perfectly possible to make great ribs without mopping...
It was delicious! Just like you said Someday, the sweetness and acidity were slightly muted, but still present, and it was sweet enough so I'm glad I didn't add a sugar syrup. Thanks all!
Cool, thanks @Someday. I knew that about the sugar, but didn't know about the other flavors like acidic, so that's good news. I had the kids taste it before putting it in the freezer and they absolutely loved it, but they love super-intense flavors, super-sugary, super-acidic.. they like to eat lemons like you and I eat an orange.  So anyway, I shall return in a few to let you know how it was. :)
I can't stand re-heated chicken. It develops a particular taste that isn't present in freshly cooked chicken.    So my suggestion would be chicken sandwiches.    Easy?  Slice chicken really thin, get your favorite fresh bread, focaccia, baguette, pullman, whatev', some mayo or mustard or a combo of both, sliced gherkins on top, done.    Fancy? Melt-caramelize some onions into an onion jam and spread that on top of the chicken instead of the gherkins. 
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too.  It's turbinating now. I just tasted it and it's a bit on the acidic side even though it's sweet... not sure if I was supposed to mix it with something to make sorbet. It was so good on its own, except for the texture, that I thought I'd try to not add anything at all, but the flavor is really intense... oh well we'll see what the results are.  Maybe I should have learned how to do sorbets first? 
Thanks for the answer!   @foodpump the goal is to portion the fruit puree so you can later thaw just what's needed? In my case I want to make something out of that puree...   Anyway the puree is thawed by now, I'm going to turbinate it and we'll see what happpens.   BTW saw a recipe on the manufacturer's website where they thaw the product, make eskimos out of it and back in the freezer it goes, so that reassures me regarding the thawing/re-freezing issue.
I was given Sicoly frozen blackcurrant puree (Ingredients: blackcurrant, granulated sugar.) The taste is out of this world (the strongest blackcurrant flavor I've ever tasted short of eating them right off the bush - but those who've tried that know that that's usually not a pleasant experience), but the texture is ... like one big ice cube that has the shape of the box it came in.   I'm thinking of thawing it overnight in my fridge and then passing it through my ice...
To be honest I don't have any experience with hens (other than guinea hens but that's another bird I think) and I imagine hens being tough... but yes, maybe if you treat it like a rooster.  I think if it's your first coq au vin and you want to impress some people it's probably better to stick to something you know well, so if you've done hens before maybe go for them, otherwise I would stick to chicken so that you can know what to expect. 
Do not get a hen. Whole Food's organic chicken will do fine. My whole foods carries those http://www.maryschickens.com/organicchicken.htm and they are the best chicken I can readily buy in a supermarket, hands down.