or Connect

Posts by French Fries

I've noticed that fish sauce does not age well here. I keep it in the fridge, but after a few months it gets darker and has more pungent fishy smell and taste. I have to readjust the amount I use, using less than when it's new and completing with soy sauce to balance it out. This is with various different brands of fish sauces (including red boat 40N).    The biggest issue I have with it is that when it's that pungent, when I use even just a few drops of it, it smells...
You shouldn't have that much waste.... for the breadcrumbs, what I do is for the last few items I bread, when there's little breading left in the plate, I gather breading in the center of the plate, sprinkle some fresh breading on top of the item and press.    And yes you can always mix the leftover breading with the leftover egg for a quick piece of fried breading. Cut it in small bands and share it with whoever's around while you're cooking as an amuse-bouche. There...
Too much heat. Your eggs are coagulating.  That could be the issue right there: wait for that milk to be warm, but not boiling hot. And pour slowly. 
North African recipe:    Cut carrots in 1/2" slices. Cook in a fair amount of olive oil along with some pressed/diced garlic and ground cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toward the end of the cooking, add some red wine vinegar and cook for a few more minutes.    Let the salad cool down and serve cold. 
Red Boat is now available at Trader Joe's, which is quite convenient. 
Do you mean what is one third of 1/2 cup? It's 2.67 Tbsp. It doesn't matter if it's basil, water, feathers or lead. 
I wouldn't use Turmeric for Mexican (or Tex-Mex) rice? For me the color comes from the cumin and the tomatoes. I never thought of achiote oil myself (never used any).    I've done it with shortcuts (garlic powder, cumin powder, tomato paste....) but I suppose it would be better with real tomatoes and real garlic.    So basically sauce the rice in oil for 5 to 10 minutes to toast it, add spices (cumin, garlic, chili if any, tomato paste...) and cook the spices for a few...
Funny, we use castile soap for everything in our house. Dr Bronner all the way. I shall try it! Thanks!
That white fuzz on rosemary is annoying. I have the same thing on my rosemary in my backyard. There's not much you can do except to cut the white sprigs... but you can research it further if you want: http://blog.metmuseum.org/cloistersgardens/2009/02/11/rosemary-in-winter-continued-dealing-with-powdery-mildew/   I have tomatoes that are getting bigger already. I planted carrot seeds that never came out, I think it's not cold enough perhaps. I tried replanting sage from...
It looks stunning. If it was as good as it looks, it must have been delicious! :)