or Connect

Posts by magentawave

Thats sounds smart! Are you learning a lot from your courses that you feel you can use in a work situation? Thanks. Steve
Hey thanks very much for your answers! I really appreciate it. Anyone else willing to give their two cents about whether to attend an expensive culinary school or just take cooking classes at a community college? Steve
1) Was your decision to go to community college instead of a private culinary school based purely on financial reasons? 2) Do you plan on using this knowledge just for personal reasons (to cook at home for family and friends) or is it because you want to work in the restaurant industry after graduating? 3) And if your education is because you will be working in the industry, did you research this before enrolling and found out that it makes no difference (as far as...
I'm just starting my research about chef schools, but after lurking on a couple chef forums, I'm beginning to think that many aspiring chefs spend thousands of dollars on a culinary school education and end up with a relatively low paying job because the money is secondary. I wonder how long it takes them to pay off their student loans when you are only making $10 to $15 per hour?! So here's the question... Does anyone know if it would be just as advantageous (and a lot...
1) So you are saying that it is totally up to the person hiring whether it matters what culinary school someone went to...or even if they didn't go to a culinary school? 2) Someone told me recently about a son of a friend of hers that went to a culinary school in San Francisco and immediately got a job with Hyatt (or it could have been Hilton) to travel around the world and sample food and then recreate that food for the restaurants. They are paying him $150,000.00 per...
Hi everyone! I am a dad of a 22 year old son that is seriously thinking of going to chef school. He loves to cook and seems to be a natural. I joined this forum in the hope that I can get some opinions from others that have been out there doing it instead of the opinions of commissioned sales people at the chef schools. I wish I had the money to pay for his schooling, but I don't, so he will have to work while going to school and finance his education with student...
Thank you for responding Ed and Mezzaluna! I will post my questions in the 'Culinary Schools' category. Thanks again! Steve
Thanks for your reply Ed. I really appreciate it! So others will be more likely to join in, can you suggest which part of this forum would be best for asking my questions (Best chef schools? Are graduates of certain chef schools more likely to land better jobs than graduates of other chef schools? Plus more no doubt). Thanks again. STeve
Hey everyone! I hope you don't mind, but I joined this forum because my 22 year old son is seriously considering going to chef school. He's been watching cooking shows since he was a little kid and has a talent for cooking. About six months ago he decided to work in a restaurant just to see if he would still like cooking as a job...and he does. So here I am doing some research for him since he doesn't have internet access where he lives now. I have questions about what...