or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

You can use the wine as a brine, but it's rather a waste, since one normally discards brine after use: it's so salty it's difficult to use effectively, for a start. You're better off using the wine with spices and aromatics (garlic, carrots, onions, and so forth), with just a little bit of salt -- or none, in fact -- and marinating the meat.Next, after marinating pretty much as long as you like (within reason -- I don't know that marinating for weeks would be such a hot...
The point is well taken, but trying out a knife requires a lot more than waving it around in a shop. If you get the opportunity to work with a given knife, properly sharpened, for an hour or so of appropriate cutting, then yes, you should by all means do this before buying. Otherwise, I tend to agree with Benuser that you get very false impressions.
I'm pretty sure Jacques Pépin cut back on butter largely under the influence of la nouvelle cuisine, which in its less silly forms always insisted that chefs should take the diner's health into consideration. Just a minor point.
Check this out! https://www.facebook.com/groups/119441938068660/permalink/960492717296907/ Hope that link works....
Craft beer and what the Brits call the "gastro-pub" to go with it.
Just to take an alternative angle, it seems to me that the original poster is asking why French cuisine sometimes gets a bad rap. Granted that French cuisine also gets a lot of props and adulation and whatnot, in what sense and in what contexts does French cuisine get a bad rap? In the USA, at any rate, there is often a popular and mass-media bias against French cuisine on the grounds that it is in some way snobbish, hoity-toity, prissy, or whatever. This is a gross...
Jon, You're a god. Have I mentioned that? So I gather that, among other things, a kiritsuke as a replacement for a once-in-a-blue-moon hamogiri ain't gonna work. Hmm. Must think further, but will post again. Thanks for the info!
I absolutely agree with Galley Swiller.   1. Sharpening and maintenance practices will enormously trump steel at this stage of your career.   2. Spend any knife money on your chef's knife.   A few more things:   A. Don't get cute about high-end this or that. In a pro kitchen, a guy with a super high-end knife is likely to be seen as (1) a dick, (2) a showoff, and (3) a target for theft. On top of this, your knife may be grabbed for quick use by some guy who likes...
Sorry, old thread, but just in case...For woodworking tools, such as chisels, you want very hard stones. For kitchen knives, the received wisdom is that you want soft stones. Kings are sort of medium, good for everything and spectacular for nothing.Then again, I have been very happy with very hard stones for my knives, so you'll just have to take this as received wisdom that is probably based on something real.
I'm hoping folks can provide me with some information here. I've never handled a kiritsuke and am wondering about its properties. I know it is a long blade, very slightly curved, single-beveled. Does anyone have opinions or information on: 1. Is it effective as a general-purpose knife? And is that the intention? 2. How does it compare in weight to a comparable gyuto? 3. How steeply angled is the bevel? 4. How well does it expect to tolerate punishment? (Compared to,...