or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

I wonder if your knives are sharp enough. Can you more or less shave your arm with them? Because otherwise you're crushing the cell walls of these vegetables, which sets up strong, harsh reactions (in onions, you get sulfuric acid, which is why you cry while cutting them). If you get the pure, clean taste, you might think differently about these ingredients. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did lobster stock risotto, with minced red (sweet) peppers. The lobster flavor was very muted, I don't know why. Nice, but not the grab-you LOBSTER flavor I expected. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, so the thing you have to understand is that ramen is a Japanese adaptation of Chinese soup noodles. So forget all that stuff about J tradition and such. Your basic ramen broth is chicken, pork, and scallion/ leek/ negi, cooked 2-3 hours gently just like French stock, strained very well until perfectly clear. Some go for the heavy, Ippudo-style stocks, in which you boil as hard as possible for several hours to emulsify the fat into the stock. I find this disgusting,...
Sodium citrate works beautifully. Texture is a non-issue. But the cheese can be so intense that it's actually overwhelming. I prefer a classic bechamel base and so on. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, reduce temp and time. For temperature, set it at the final target temperature. 120 is very rare, etc. For texture, decide how long the cut ought to be cooked on a grill and multiply. So a very tough cut can sous vide for a day or two, a tender cut maybe an hour. Long processing breaks down texture, ultimately toward pabulum. A great steak should be cooked until just done; a really coarse, tough end needs a lot of work. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My mother just gave me her old snail set that she hasn't used in 40 years: The dishes are aluminum and look like this. My family loves snails, but how often can you eat them? So I'm wondering, what else can I use these funny little dishes for? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The interior.
Just once, I tried melting a variety of cheeses in a scant cup of water with a tsp of sodium citrate. This makes the cheese refuse to coagulate when warm. I just kept adding shredded cheese until I had several cups of goo, then stirred it into just-cooked macaroni. Baked until browning on top. It was fantastic--but my daughter, the Mac-and-Cheese nut, said it was actually too cheesy! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic basic hearth bread. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it was cooked through when you bought it, the majority of the really nasty stuff was already dead (salmonella, etc.). At that point the concern is a warm, fertile environment for new cultures. Sticking a hot dish into a fridge is a bad idea mostly because the fridge interior gets warm, endangering everything else. In short, don't worry about it, but try not to do it again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk