or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

You might look to see whether Aritsugu Tokyo still ships oversea, or if Korin or somebody is selling them. Their carbon is remarkably underpriced, at least in Japan. Myself, I swear by my Masamoto KS wa-gyuto, but it's significantly above your price limit. I'm against honing these knives. Too hard. I personally would suggest buying a cheap 3-pack of victorinox paring knives and put the savings into the gyuto. As for a stone, for the moment, I'd say you're all set. When...
Snail butter made and setting. Ears chlorophyll-stained and braising. Made several colors of modeling chocolate, as well as some rock-appearance fudge to cut into tombstones. The snail butter may have to be redone. It looks like I may have overheated the emulsifying mixture and caused the agar to go into full gel mode. We'll see. At least of all the various bits and pieces, that's extremely simple and inexpensive to re-do. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow. I am suddenly wondering why formed/steamed fish balls haven't caught on as a pizza topping in Japan. They're WAY into the things, and they don't have much truck with what we in the US tend to think are ordinary pizza toppings. And yet, I've never seen fish-cakes. Maybe I have a new business ideal! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks FlipFlop Girl! If I'm using mozzarella from whole balls sitting in water, potentially full-fat, will that have fewer problems? The object is to make a rectangular layer of _raw_ mozzarella for a rather peculiar take on a caprese salad. A little excess moisture is no bad thing here, btw. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can I cut a slice of fresh mozzarella and roll it between sheets of plastic to make it wider and thinner? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haggis taco sounds like a good thing potentially, but you'd have to actually think it out, not just bang the one into the other. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Joy is excellent as noted. I think Julia Child, The Way To Cook is spectacular, because she uses photos and very clear prose to show you what she's doing, what to expect, and why. James MacPherson's Essentials of Cooking is also solid, but less comprehensive in some ways. I strongly recommend watching every Jacques P├ępin TV show you can find on YouTube. All of his books are excellent, and he is an extraordinary teacher. To sum up, I suggest these three: Julia Child,...
I always make the same suggestion for a first water stone: King Combi 800/4000. Great feedback, cheap, reliable. By the time you wear it out you'll know what works for you. Don't soak more than an hour, btw. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome! Be sure to go sniffing around in the baking forum; lots of stuff going on there! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh: do NOT use regular gelatin, as it will melt on a sunny day. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk