Posts by ChrisLehrer

@Fatcook-- thanks for the suggestions. You're saying a direct sub of these GF mixes for flour in the recipe, I gather?   As to diagnosis, no, she's been definitely diagnosed for almost 10 years. I mentioned the ketchup thing only because my sister-in-law, who is also celiac, is very mild: she can get away with a lot of things like ketchup and vinegar, and she can even once in a while splurge on something like pizza and only suffer for 10-12 hours rather mildly. My...
Interestingly, salmon is a very unusual fish for sushi in Japan. The reason is that it's a partly freshwater fish (anadromous), and so it can pick up parasites. This isn't an issue in the US, because it's frozen a long time, but it's kind of funny that deep-sea fish that almost never have parasites are challenged by the FDA whereas anadromous fish aren't. Oh well.
Well, someone had to do it:
They will do the first sharpening in the store, unless things have changed very dramatically lately. They will not likely do thinning and such. A-steel is a very, very bad choice for learning to sharpen or thin. It's ridiculously tough. You'd likely pick up some truly bad habits working with it. I'd say go Aritsugu but a different steel, such as carbon.
Brown rice: many places around here do offer it. You could ask around--someone is probably offering. Tuna: of course that's not rude. And since tuna is relatively expensive, I'm sure they'll be delighted to substitute.
Biscuit, says my wife.
Just realized I need a gluten-free shortcake recipe.   Clarifications:   1. I hate shortcake, but my mother-in-law loves it. 2. My mother-in-law is diagnosed celiac, high-sensitivity (most ketchup affects her). 3. Her birthday is in late June, and her special favorite birthday dessert is strawberry shortcake.   So what I'm looking for is:   A. A gorgeous GF shortcake recipe; OR B. A gorgeous GF substitute that she will adore even more.   Help!
Fascinating. Thank you! Edit: That's not sarcasm. I actually found that very interesting.
You misunderstand slightly--but only slightly. 1--Yes, Japan is still an irritatingly chauvinistic society in a number of respects. 2--It's not really a matter of being decorative and pretty. Eating nigirizushi with your fingers is acceptable but perhaps not elegant. For an analogy, how about eating lamb chops or chicken drumsticks in a restaurant. You know how you're supposed to cut everything off the bone and eat it that way, but everyone knows it's tastier and more fun...
Exactly. The fish in the soy sauce, NOT the rice.