Posts by ChrisLehrer

The idea of cataloging my thousands of books brings me out in a cold sweat. But these apps do work, its true.
The Japanese tend to be very focused on new rice well-rinsed. Chinese tastes are much more varied. There are serious gourmets passionate about fresh and rinsed, and others just as passionate that rice must be drier initially, and they may or may not believe in rinsing. As Kokopuffs says, this is the kind of issue that can start a war.
It's how they grow.
Sashimi -- properly otsukuri, though, if you ask me.Pizza regular or thin crust?
If you add ice while grinding, as for sausage, you could use strong kombu-dashi ice cubes. Same as MSG but natural. Or powdered dry shiitake, or a little grated Parmesan, or a bit of meat seared until nearly burnt and ground fine. All umami from Hell.
Back to Velveeta and Kraft: Dr Kraft patented a process you can do at home now. Buy sodium citrate. Put a pinch in a little water and heat, whisking until completely dissolved. Stir in any kind of grated cheese (Parmesan can be tricky). Don't stir too hard: just melt it in smooth. Pour the perfectly smooth cheese goo onto parchment and spread flat with an offset spatula. Once cool or cold, cut in squares. Homemade Kraft slices made from any real cheese you like--or a mix!...
I have read that Sicilian cooks often use hard grating cheeses with shellfish. Then there's the all-Japan favorite: Seafood Doria. Invented by Saly Weill, the Swiss genius who created Yoshoku. Make a mild Mornay, using about 1/3 seafood stock in place of milk. Sauté a range of the very freshest seafood in butter with mirepoix. Make good steamed rice. Put rice in the bottom of a gratin dish. Pour on the seafood, cover with the Mornay. Sprinkle with Parmesan and broil...
Once we work out the right shape and length, we're going to have to talk about things like sharpening, just so you know in advance....
160-180mm is a very short blade for a principal or anchor knife. Is there a reason you're thinking in such a small scale? I normally advise a minimum 240, preferably 270. Certainly a French-style chef's knife (such as a gyuto) will be awkwardly balanced at 160mm.
If you hold chicken at 140F for an hour, all normal contaminants (salmonella, etc.) are dead. Just saying.