or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

Let me back up. The idea is to have a layer of mozzarella in a weird modernist caprese. But I don't know of good mozzarella big enough to cut into a large enough sheet. The "right answer" is to make it fresh myself and lay it down fresh, but I think this is overkill if you're not running a three-star restaurant. So I want to know how to make good premade mozzarella turn into a sheet about 1/8" thick and maybe 5x5 inches square. Juicy not rubbery is very important...
Do you know what happens if you warm mozzarella to about 150F (WAY below melting or curdling temperature) and roll it with a pin into a layer? Does it get rubbery and horrible? Or can even that not be generalized? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The aim is irrelevant here, but because folks have asked: I wanted to extract the intense buttery flavor of good cultured butter into water. This is because spherification, à la Ferran Adrià et al., does not work well with a high-fat mixture. And my idea was to have a beautiful sphere of flavored butter, but I don't care about the fat content. I've found other methods since, but.... I had read that flavor extraction works best in the presence of some alcohol. Because...
Or google "most beautiful plates of food," and think, NOT, "how do I do that?" but RATHER "where did the plating fails in this thread go wrong in badly imitating this kind of plating?" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Google "Kikunoi Honten" and "Kichisen" and click "images." Then think, "how do I serve my food in a way that draws effectively on what's beautiful about this?" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By the way, my wife wanted her snails in-braised, because she likes that pencil-eraser texture. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
French Fries: I was also very surprised by this reaction. The thing is, that emulsion produces something with a very fast flavor release. My 8-year-old daughter described the emulsion butters as "bright." The remarkable thing is that with pretty much the same ingredients, gram for gram, the traditional butter seemed like it needed a bit of something, a little help. The emulsions were spot on. All could have used a bit of salt, but it didn't matter much with the...
Here is what the test crispy troll ears looked like: If you look closely, you can see that lovely green color, 'cause it's troll meat, obviously.   Tasted pretty good, especially since the braise I used was a sort of cheap halfway test version, not the full monty.   My wife shuddered when she saw the ears come out of the braise, all gray-green and hideous-looking. Yay!
Flavoring the butter turns out to be trivial. Just put all the normal ingredients for snail butter (butter, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, maybe white wine) in a heavy zip-type bag and process sous vide at 140F for 2-3 hours. Strain fine, and you've got beautiful snail butter. Just be sure to go a little overboard on parsley and especially garlic, because unlike in normal snail butter, the solids will be strained out.   COUNTDOWN   For those waiting with bated...
It's not your imagination: you're thinking of things like boeuf bourguignon. But although escargots a la bourguignonne comes from Burgundy, the dish has little or no wine in it. However, it has been argued that the dish was perfected in Burgundy because they used the beautiful helix snails that try to eat the grape vines.