or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

Nicko:There is a very long and detailed review of this product on Amazon. Comes up first, because 500+ have found it impressive.In short, it seems this product is pretty cheap and flimsy, and there's a lot of gouging going on.Obviously that's one guy's analysis, but it's very detailed. Might want to check it out before buying.
Chia herbs? Awesome! I'll check it out.
Jake, the question is whether whey can work instead of buttermilk. Whey is something that can easily end up in large quantities that get dumped. So Sylvia is wondering if it can be used this way. The only thing I know for sure is that it makes good plant food, but the buttermilk thing is very clever -- if it works! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Dagger : you're way over-thinking this. Seriously. Soft butter, salt, fresh herbs/garlic, possibly a little wine. Mix. Freeze. Chop the herbs however seems most convenient. If using leafy greens such as basil, blanch them briefly first and shock in ice water so they stay green. Stop worrying about the right or best way and just do it. This isn't something about which you have to be precise and finicky. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does pot pie count?
I love this question! Anyone have an answer?
Sushi started as a way of preserving fish for a few days, this the vinegar. If you don't use vinegared and sweetened rice, it's not technically sushi. BUT The flavor of sushi rice varies a great deal regionally and by preparation. For instance, Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) you tend to get sourer rice than Kantō (Tokyo), but sushi is also a lot less common in Kansai. In Kyoto you're more likely to get sliced fish with plain rice on the side (sashimi, or in Kyoto otsukuri). Fish...
I find the Tokyo breakfast version (shoyu, mustard, negi/scallions) a little bland. Needs more salt and umami. I use kochujang (Korean spicy miso) instead of the shoyu and mustard. Put over rice and eat for breakfast. You can roll it inside makizushi if you like. I'd still use kochujang instead of fake wasabi. It can be cooked into nikujaga (beef and potato Japanese-style), and it's quite good that way. My kids liked that at their school in Kyoto.
Why flip it? Why not just put it skin-side down in the hot pan and stick it in the oven? By the time the meat is cooked through nicely you should have crisp skin.
A compound butter should keep 2-3 months in a home freezer pretty much regardless of technique. If you need to keep it a lot longer than that you'll have to process it somehow. I can't imagine why you'd want to, though: garlic is always available. Be sure to keep compound butters sealed against odors and light. Fat doesn't do well with those. I suggest making a fat wax paper roll of your butter and putting that in a resealable plastic bag. When you need some, just cut it...