Posts by ChrisLehrer

Fermented soybeans.The texture is, um. Well. Er.
Inwards. The bevels are at 12 & 0, right? So cant it over slightly in the direction of 6/6.This doesn't come up much, incidentally. It's only if you want a fat block of something thick. And yes, an usuba doesn't like that task much.
Thanks, Mike! I'm going to work on it too.
Yes. So to cut a chunk of daikon, let's say, you lean the knife a fraction. But with thin cuts, you keep them flat and the vegetable bends with you.
No, he's got no clue. Left hand fingers in danger. Beveled knife on vertical thick cut: have to cant the blade slightly. I can't see the point of this knife. It's sort of like a misshapen kiritsuke, I guess. I'd take an usuba over this in a heartbeat---or a real kiritsuke.
First of all, stop with the whole "practice blade" thing. If you go slow, use a fairly high-grit stone, and think about what you're doing, there is very little damage you can do. Any knife you could really screw up fast is a piece of crap: a masterpiece can always be brought to a genius level. So cool it, stop worrying. Your King stone is standard. It doesn't matter. Let it teach you: don't push, don't fight. Go back and forth gently and feel/listen to the stone. Kings...
Correction: do not keep frozen stock in a home freezer more than 3-4 months. Temperature isn't cold enough.Note that you can pressure can that stock (using proper equipment of course), and the end result will keep without refrigeration for about 2-3 years.
Okay, for me this thread only makes sense as things I've eaten and would eat again. When I was 9, I ate worms on a dare. Doesn't count. 1. Nattō: takes some getting used to. I suggest adding a bit of gochujang instead of the standard mustard. Eat it for breakfast over white rice. Breakfast of Champions! 2. Fish heads: So what you do, you take the head of a big white fish and split it in half, then cut the halves so you get nice bite-sized pieces. Rinse well and remove...
I hate Currywurst, but that Brühwurst looks gorgeous!
Somehow I had not previously gotten around to doing eggs sous vide until last night. Didn't work, and I'm mystified. As I understand the discussion in Modernist Cuisine and its home version too, eggs cooked sous vide dial in by temperature. You can leave them a long time, and they don't change: the only real factor is temperature. I put eggs in and set temp for 158, which they say is soft boiled, fudgy yolks, tender whites. They sat about 4 hours. The whites were a...