or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

For what (little) it might be worth, I agree with BDL -- and with Benuser about Kramer.   I don't understand where Kramer is coming from at all. Setting aside all the more obvious concerns about the knife and edge, this totally ignores what happens if (as in my case) you use principally Japanese single-beveled knives. With that big flat bevel, there is a definite tendency to stick hard to the stone, and this increases the more force you use. If you have ever had a...
When in doubt, look to what the Italians do. Chop them coarsely, sweat in olive oil with a little salt and pepper, until very soft. Add water or light chicken stock and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes or so. Purée in a blender, then strain coarsely to get rid of any tough fibers. Adjust seasoning, add water if too thick, and serve with crusty bread. If preferred, season heavily and chill before serving. You can extend it by cooking potatoes in it, French-style, or enrich...
As a Chocera user — I've got 400, 800, 2k (and then non-Chocera from there), I'd say it depends a good deal on what you're sharpening. If you are trying to learn to sharpen big single-bevels, Chocera is a great place to be, because you need huge feedback to learn effectively, but you also need something that will cut fast and not dish quickly. For double-bevels, I don't think you gain all that much from the extra bucks. I would go with something cheaper but equally great,...
I'm not sure why you need a slicer for veggies, especially with a gyuto this good.   Mostly slicers are for meat and fish. The questions there are complex, certainly, but veggies don't come into it much. One does see Japanese sushi chefs use yanagiba to do some veg work, but there it's a combination of time (not much — high pressure) and immense familiarity with this knife.   A nakiri does nothing your gyuto doesn't do better. Same with a santoku. An usuba is a...
That's odd. Is it just the photo, or are those characters in relief?   Anyway...   In a month or two I can check, but I think I have a deba like this. It was made in Shikoku. A lot of minor brands are there, in the old district northeast of Koji. They sell a lot through flea markets and the like, which is a big trade in Japanese tools for household use.   Where did you get it?
+12 for everything BDL just said.   There is such a thing as a "do-everything" knife, but it's about as good for complicated and intricate custom work as you'd expect from a good handyman. You want a true jack-of-all trades, you'll get solid but not efficient or elegant. You want perfection, you're going to have to sacrifice some areas of specialization. I don't know of any way around that, and it appears BDL doesn't either, so we're probably more or less right....
BDL's point is very well taken. The issues here are very complex, because there are many different types of manufacturers, and lots of middle-men, and competition is greatly complicated because it is international. All that together with the intricacies of the government's handling of the yen... what a mess!   For those who aren't expert economists -- i.e. folks like me -- it depends a good deal on why you want to know. If you're looking for a knife and wondering...
I haven't used an EP or other similar setup, but I do have a bunch of Chocera bench stones.   The advantage of Chocera is that they are fast, don't dish much, and they provide a great deal of very subtle feedback. If you are freehanding, feedback is where you live; my sense is that it matters a bit less with a jig setup. The down sides are that they are expensive and very hard, actually designed for chisels and other woodworking tools. Soft stones are better for...
One more thing, as Columbo used to say.   Durability and hardness aren't at all the same thing. Unfortunately, there is no absolute measure on durability: you have to go largely by anecdotal data, and even then it's going to depend on how you sharpen.   Since you do plan to hone often, and don't want to sharpen constantly, just be sure you sharpen your knife pretty much symmetrically. That is, grind it at the same angle on both sides. Most instructions in English...
Notes from the peanut gallery:   1. I was apparently wrong about the Shun profiles. I am sure BDL is right about this: he's right about most things, but also he has actually compared scads of knives head to head, which I haven't. If the Shun is a German profile, I for one am against it. I agree with BDL: a really sharp knife wins over a rocked one any day.   2. The extremely straight edge of the usuba, which is the Japanese traditional professional's vegetable...