or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

I agree with BDL. So, you may be interested to know, does Pepin. If you watch the DVD from which that bit is ripped, you'll see him make two kinds of omelets, which he describes as the "country-style" and the "classic." He does both beautifully, and they look delicious, but they are certainly different things. As he says, "it's not that one is necessarily better than the other, it's just a different way of doing it." He's done that routine in several books and DVDs, so...
1. From your knives' perspective, butcher-block hardwood will always be best. The problem with this is that it will absorb from the cheese. If you leave cheese out on the board, wood of any kind probably isn't ideal, in which case you need a knife that won't be much damaged by something like marble. So my first question would be what sorts of knives does he cut cheese with? Do they have actual sharp edges, or just kinda-sorta blade-like edges, and do they get used for...
Martin, you clearly know what you're doing on sharpening, or if you don't, you know what to do about it. So I take that as a given, OK?   Reading your various posts, it looks to me as though you are looking for something because you want a toy. That's not a criticism: every knife crazy has been there. The one thing I hear from you is "I want to be able to make this thing insanely sharp." Everything else seems to be secondary.   Now I don't know very clearly what...
+1 on Folse, especially that huge encyclopedia thing he did.   On Prudhomme, if you want "authentic country style Cajun," I think in some ways that's only going to be in the Prudhomme Family Cookbook; everything else is spectacularly wonderful, but it's either "going fancy" (Louisiana Kitchen) or experimental/nouveau in some way or other (Fork in the Road, Louisiana Tastes, etc.). I happen to adore Louisiana Kitchen as one of the 10 best home-use cookbooks ever...
  There's nothing to pardon. But we all see now why these stupid terms are so irritating! And as BDL says, there is nothing consistent to refer to what you're talking about. I think Chad Ward has a term for this, but I forget what it is. Personally, I am far too lazy to do this kind of primary/secondary beveling stuff, but I salute your willingness and skill!   I do have a few remarks, even following after BDL's wonderful account.   1. The best angle is probably the one...
Carbon or non-carbon? That's the kicker.
The Prudhomme Family Cookbook is about as hard-core authentic as you could possibly ask for.
  You might get in touch with Ken Schwartz, of Ken's Sharpening Services. He built a thing a lot like what you've built, which he calls the "Gizmo," and you guys could definitely share information.   I generally think that you should always take both bevels to the same grit level. I can't be sure I'm right, but I have a feeling that it's not a good idea to have a significantly different number of scratches on one side than the other -- I'd think you'd get some problems...
A comment and a clarification. I'll start with the latter:   Double/Single/etc. Bevels Since you're obviously a bit of a knife crazy, like myself, you may find it helpful to distinguish your terminology. I don't mean this as a snipe: there's so much to learn! But you'll get more out of the various debates and stuff.   What you're calling "single bevel" is usually called "asymmetrical." What people usually call "single bevel" is a peculiar way of grinding...
Hi Bob,   Although I'm the nut who actually uses an usuba for everything, I started with a Masamoto KS wa-gyuto and have recently bought my wife a Masamoto VG. I can't give comparative information, but I can comment on the knives themselves.   KS: It gets that love for a reason. You just have no idea. But it is very expensive -- shockingly so, really. It is the only carbon wa-gyuto that I think you should even consider seriously, because I think at base a carbon wa-gyuto...