or Connect

Posts by ChrisLehrer

Thank you! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See, the thing is, French Fries and I think alike. Okay, I promise I will try it both ways, or several, and see which is best. Gonna be heartbreaking, though. I mean, we're going to have to taste-test all these subtle variations on escargots à la bourguignonne.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pulp in crab apples is very enzymatic, and can destroy the gelling process. Try leaving just one or two jars to experiment with; in one, go plain (include pulp with liquid), and in the other add pectin. See what happens. My bet: the jelly will be much more successful. But keep us posted on what happens! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My thought is that with pieces this extraordinary, isomalt is the way to go. It's expensive, but your customers are paying for these amazing works, so they show be willing to absorb that cost. As far as I am aware, truly dry, food-safe vacuum packing is rare and expensive if you're not working at very, very large quantity scales. You could try looking for a local "maker" community and see if they have appropriate equipment on which you could rent time, but from what I've...
Yes: the only accurate instruction here is "beat until the whites hold stiff peaks" (or soft peaks, etc.). Method, tool, bowl chemistry (copper or not), technique, temperature, egg age, and what the hens have been eating will all affect the time. Work by result on this, not time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I want to get a bunch of graveyard-theme sugar decorations so my daughter and her friends can decorate a Halloween cake. I searched online, but my Google-fu isn't working. Where should I look to get stuff like this? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suggest you focus on using the lightest chef knife you own, with scary edges, gripping so lightly that you're really only using two fingers. If you focus on grip (i.e. on barely gripping) and have edges to match, you may find that the whole comfort thing vanishes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian, that was my thinking, but on the other hand a lot of dairy things are temperature non-reversing: if you heat them, they undergo a change that is irreversible. IceMan: fair enough -- it's very difficult to generalize accurately. Thanks for the warning! We'll see how it goes... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh. So dehydrated that way, they're going to be SUPER chewy. Gotcha. Jerky meets leather. Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the garlic butter is entirely different, then, right? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk