Posts by ChrisLehrer

Be very careful about long booze braises sous vide. They can suddenly become very bitter regardless of the starting liquor. I suggest that you either not do this sous vide at all, or do it first for yourself to test. If the reaction happens, your dish will be inedible. That's not an exaggeration, either. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fascinating! I'll have to think about that one. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone have good information about what's really, really good in this category? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And questions are very welcome, so please don't be shy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy it worked! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As to new ideas, I did have a funny notion of a 70s retro meal that could be pretty amazing. More on that when I actually begin execution.... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not only have I written down my ideas, I have complete recipes for every bit of this. Otherwise I couldn't possibly experiment! The walkthrough: AMUSE 1. Zombie bacon The mozzarella was a little "eh," which I suspect was the product itself. The tomato water was very intense, much more so than expected; it's got to be balanced more effectively. The basil was good, but didn't have that bright, fresh flavor that wakes up and excites tomato. One problem there was simply a...
Thank you all for the praise. It was a lot of work, and it panned out more or less. I appreciate the support and encouragement you've all given me along the way. Some notes: The worms melted, I don't know why. Looking into it. The mussels: I think it's something about the white wine reacting badly with the spherification ingredients, because I had this problem before. I think I may have skipped a clarification that was not for looks but for flavor. I don't own Modernist...
Easiest I know: 1 delicata squash 1 quart excellent chicken or vegetable stock Pinch cayenne Sour cream Split the squash and remove all the seeds and strings. Cut it in chunks. Put it in a pot with the stock; if possible, put in a pressure cooker. Add cayenne. Cook half an hour or so (full pressure if you can). Purée the living XXXX out of it, and strain to get out any remaining bits of skin or whatever. Heat to serving temperature, serve, and add a nice dollop of sour...
Just be sure that it gets reheated to a good hot temperature: it's a great medium for bacterial breeding. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk