or Connect

Posts by chefhow

Pork and Saurkraut with salt crusted red bliss pototoes and carrots.
Anything with Guy Fieri in it, you want to talk about a total pompus a$$, that is your poster child.
  So based on this if you walked into the local greasy spoon for your first job or even your second and got hired to be the top dog cook would you call yourself the Chef?  I wouldnt consider you to be one and I would be non of the Chef's here that have worked to earn the title would either.  Based on your logic if I can draw a stick figure on a napkin I am an artist.   There was a time not that long ago that the term Chef held some weight and meant something, today its...
Shrimp and Grits with Bacon and Pepper Gravy topped with a fried egg and some crusty bread.
Siduri and Ishbel, The OP has claimed to be a Professional Chef and called themself "decently new to the culinary game", really?!?!  You cant be both and both of you have been here long enough to know that.  ChefDave wasnt being patronizing nor was I or any of the other Chef's that have spent a career building and learning to the point where we could be called a Chef.  There is a distinct difference between somebody who loves to cook, is a good/great cook and a Chef...
Whatever you do make sure it works.  An interview is no place to test out a new technique or something that you arent 100% sure of.  Do what you know, just do it extremely well and precise.
Umami is MUCH more than just savory.  Its just as much about mouth feel as it is about flavor and that mouth watering effect it induces. 
We sent noobs on wild goose chases for buckets of steam, to stores, other restaurants in the corners of the freezers.  It was soooo much fun.  Those were the good old days when you could get away with minor hazing and having fun with new guys/girls. Now they are sensitive and their feelings get hurt so you have to be careful with what you ask and do.
  I dont mean to be rude but how can you be a Chef if you are decently new to the Culinary Game.  I worked for 14 years before I became the Chef and was at the helm of my first kitchen. 
Bucket of steam, bacon stretcher and Chicken de-boning press.