or Connect

Posts by eastshores

With a couple of the recent threads discussing what is "in season" and some of our talks about Americanized foods and health I thought it might be fun to post a picture from your regular place of getting produce. It can be farmers market, grocer chain, produce stand, you name it. I think it would be good to give a general location, it would be really interesting to see the differences by locality if there are any.   Central Florida, USA The right side has USDA Organic...
 This is funny because I recently watched an episode where Anthony was in Naples. He had lunch with chef Rocco Lannone at his restaurant Pappacarbone where one of the dishes he served was fried octopus with tomato sauce and cheese   And it's not like he is setting out to redefine Italian cooking, quite the opposite from the translated mission statement: 
I have to throw out a word of caution here regarding "Farmers Markets". Like so many things, this term is not necessarily what it used to be. For instance, I have an actual farm about 20 minutes drive from my home that grows from what I can gather, collard greens and mustard greens. That is all I have ever seen in their rows. Yet, they run a produce stand. I kid you not, they are selling low grade produce that has come from other countries as if it's "organic". It's...
I think one excuse that we have to be at least welcoming to is the idea that children are very impressionable when it comes to food. I was lucky to grow up in a household where at least my mother did use a stove, and she enjoyed food so she did her best to make tasty things for us. Her mother taught her to make chicken and dumplings "from scratch" and to this day she made the best chicken and dumplings I've ever had.   For those kids who got to choose between frozen...
@Koukouvagia without a doubt there has been a significant change in food consciousness in the last 15 or so years. I purposely excluded the health aspects of food in my post because that had little to do with why ethnic dishes became Americanized (in my opinion). To me it was all about the culture of quick, convenient, affordable food for parents that were pushing themselves to the limit. I don't think parents purposely selected meals for their kids that would harm them,...
I feel like at the end of the day, the types of foods we eat boil down to the culture that we live in. I am from generation X, the latch key kids which for those that may not be familiar, here's some info from wikipedia:  The result of both parents working full time? Or maybe worse, a single mom working to make ends meet? Ultimately a push for fast meals. My mother would get home from working an assembly line all day and need to feed four starving children. Foods like...
I'm soon to close on a home that has a beautiful kitchen. I've never had a nice space to cook and the prospect has me thinking a lot about food again. I really like the idea of being able to introduce flavors in alternate texture forms. Years back I spent a little time playing with foams, using lecithin as a stabilizer and an immersion blender to aerate. Admittedly I gave up rather quickly, but I was really not happy with the level of flavor I was able to achieve and I was...
I'm not sure if this is ok.. but I think it's worth copying. He wouldn't have put it out there if he didn't want it copied since an AMA on reddit is not an advertising driven venue. His last remarks.. Mexican and Indian cuisine are the two most trashed and under rated cuisines in the USA. It is SAD that we open a pizza place on every corner and yet people can't appreciate true Mexican and Indian cuisine and spices.. they are freaked out.. from their kraft macaroni and...
I agree with others with the additions of herbs, sundried tomatoes, etc. The wonderful thing about such a recipe is it is very versatile. Personally I don't think I would add sour cream due to the moisture content. I'd stick with goat cheese which has just as much sharpness but is slightly drier. You could also switch it up with farmers cheese if you have it in your grocer. Depending on which flavor profiles you are going for you might choose your cheese accordingly. For...
I am happy this thread has had as much life as it has. It's a controversial topic I guess. Chowderboy seems to have created an account just to criticize and that's fine albeit not very respectful.   It's been 6 years since I first asked about this. I am now a firm proponent of using starch that is built in, so in this case a potato slurry would be ideal because it doesn't take away from the flavor we are trying to deliver.. which includes potato, celery, onion, and bacon...