or Connect

Posts by eastshores

To me this discussion has broken into two separate, and completely valid points. 1. recipes don't define a good cook.. a good cook uses technique and knowledge of food regardless of what a recipe says. They adapt and change things to their own preference and they can do that with wild abandonment because they have amassed the required experience to do so. To share a recipe is to have a discussion about food. It does not, and cannot take away from years of experience...
Thanks for the info mimi! I will check into what is allowed around here under those circumstances. The friend of mine, who wants to go in with me.. his mother opened one of the more successful restaurants in our town a couple years ago so I'm not overly concerned about things since she would certainly help us if we need it.
 I love this.. this is why I don't figure recipes matter much. But Someday.. if you make a dish that is absolute heaven and they want that shit the very next Sunday.. you should know how to do it again. If you're like me.. it will be a similar handfull of various stuff... maybe that's what they like.. maybe it's not. That would never work for KFC, or Five Guys, or any other known quantity.
Thanks teamfat.. interesting little rig. Technically I could get away with a fully compliant hotdog cart, but for the type of setup I'm envisioning I will need to carry tables, a canopy, signs, plus a propane fryer and a couple propane stovetop burners. I suppose I was being pretty naive about the amount of effort that would be required to do this, but I'm still pretty interested and have been looking around all night at different things on craigslist. It's looking like I...
 No business plan.. the plan is to have fun. I have a full time job so I'm considering this something of a hobby. Now, depending on the amount of investment I would have to make to do it within the legal constraints, etc. then maybe it will not be a fun hobby.  I will definitely check the county health dept. site tonight. I read it once before because they had a very specialized list of requirements for a "food truck". If I were to install a refrigerator inside the...
After going to the food truck bazaar last night and being a bit underwhelmed I am seriously considering investing in a small "pop up" style setup where I could use a utility trailer to haul the necessary equipment to prep on site and cook chicken and waffles.   I think I have a good idea of the type of setup I'd need to turn things out quickly, and still be able to break down and setup easily. What I am unsure of, are the type of requirements (I know it can vary by...
Ok, so my adventure to the food truck bazaar was decent. The problem really is, there is so much you would want to taste, but most of the trucks sell their products for between $6 and $14 so it's worth coordinating with friends and sharing.   We had 27 trucks all parked in a square in a parking lot.. lots of people.   Here's the truck I wanted to check out. Clay oven in a truck.. who would think.   I was disappointed that for a place with a clay oven they did not...
 Well, in my little town we have a major high school style drama going on because a new "fresh juice" place opened up. They have a more modern feel, and know how to market using social media, etc. Is it hurting the previously established place? Yep.. (the old place has accused them of stealing recipes) and the different restaurants downtown are taking sides. The whole point of that, is yes, it can lose a place business if they built their reputation on a particular product...
I'm excited about going out to Orlando for my first experience with The Food Truck Bazaar .. they are going to have 25 trucks tonight and the one I want to hit up is called "900 Degreez Pizza", it's a food truck with a clay oven in it! I'll report back later tonight, hopefully with a picture of a magnificent Neapolitan pizza.
I would never ask a restaurant for a recipe! As I mentioned that is their intellectual property in a highly competitive world. To me that seems like common sense. I would never walk into the Ford factory and ask for documentation on how they assemble their vehicle. Both parties earn their income from that information. The farthest I have gone, in restaurants where I had a really good relationship with the owners is to playfully list ingredients I can detect. I love to see...