or Connect

Posts by eastshores

I guess I'll be the first to bite.. even if this is for a marketing study.. which is seems to be.   - What would you say to people who have absolutely no interest in cooking to change their mind?   There is a very small population that will not find comfort or joy in food.. to them you can't sell it. It's just a necessity and they don't need their water flavored. Let's rule those people out to start. The other group, might be rejecting cooking because they are busy.....
Great advice from others. As a cooking enthusiast I have run into this brick wall several times over the years. For me, and I think this is a very individual issue, I draw on the energy that I get from others that enjoy food. I wish I had more people in my life that really understood food and had a passion for it. I would love to have friends that cured meats or pickled often, baked, etc. Those artisan crafts are a big part of food culture.   So maybe you could find some...
 Some of the most famous artists in history were not recognized during their lifetime. Don't tell me that having an audience matters to an artist, that is a vain concept and only has practical value when you are attempting to profit from your art. To true artists, their art comes first as a form of self expression. That doesn't mean others will like it, or approve of it any more than they may like your choice of clothing.
Haha fair enough IceMan. However, don't knock home cooks as if they aren't qualified to create dishes on the level that a chef does. I know for a fact that I could hold my own against professional chefs. I've spent the time in research and in practice and I understand what makes superior food. What I can't do.. is what I have no experience with, and that is operate a professional kitchen. The qualities that make good chefs are not just the flavor of the food, that is an...
In my opinion good plating is not only like good art, but rather good "design". Plating food certainly encompasses traditional art concerns such as the color palette (even though it's been proven certain colors are more appealing to appetite than others), and composition. Where I feel it differs is in the functional aspect. You can have a beautiful set of colors plated, but if the food is strewn about or stacked in such a way that it becomes difficult for the user to...
 Great! You're right you did say that. Let me refine my statement.. the only chili you need to do this with is ancho.. if you want heat then why not just add cayenne?
Can't believe no one said to add reconstituted pureed ancho chili peppers.. that's my "secret" ingredient in my chili. Adds a ton of deep earthy smoky flavor and dark color.
Reference my thread on thickening a clam chowder. That's all the evidence one needs to know that food faces a heavy bias. We're not allowed to go outside the bounds of "authentic" cuisine.. and yet no one would necessarily agree on what is authentic. I think part of the question has to be.. is it our responsibility to pass on the originating information when we create a derivative? If I call something a curry.. but I introduce my own ideas.. am I perhaps inappropriately...
With a couple of the recent threads discussing what is "in season" and some of our talks about Americanized foods and health I thought it might be fun to post a picture from your regular place of getting produce. It can be farmers market, grocer chain, produce stand, you name it. I think it would be good to give a general location, it would be really interesting to see the differences by locality if there are any.   Central Florida, USA The right side has USDA Organic...
 This is funny because I recently watched an episode where Anthony was in Naples. He had lunch with chef Rocco Lannone at his restaurant Pappacarbone where one of the dishes he served was fried octopus with tomato sauce and cheese   And it's not like he is setting out to redefine Italian cooking, quite the opposite from the translated mission statement: