or Connect

Posts by eastshores

Don't be so quick to dismiss this. Maintaining a temp of 140F in a water bath for 72 hours doesn't require that the heating element be on all the time, just as keeping your refrigerator or freezer at temp doesn't require constant power. I know it seems strange. Just maybe give it a chance until you've had properly cooked sous vide meat and then make a decision.
 Seconded.. salt is not applied for seasoning, in almost any sous vide situation but certainly not a 72 hour cook.
I'd advise you to consult online CDC and FDA guidelines for temperatures required to destroy common food borne pathogens. The basic rule is "when in doubt.. throw it out"
I'm thinking you ran into possibly two different issues. First, with a long cook like this, you really want to ensure that the product is in constant contact with the water bath. You also might want to check your temp. Most of the red meats I looked up in Under Pressure start at 140F. Modernist Cuisine also has a short article on doing 72 hour short ribs.. in which they cook at 144F for 2.6lb but also point out..  Perhaps you had some level of oxidation, or possibly you...
If you are not adverse to adding a little fat into your diet, most pan sauces are thickened to the consistency of a sauce by reducing the sauce as necessary and then "mounting" the sauce with a pad of butter once you've cut the heat. So you can have nice sauces including herbs, mushrooms, garlic, etc. and some of the jus from whatever protein you're working with.   As for soups, I've only ever seen gelatin used when you are working with store bought stock/broth and you...
I'll add one with my father. I lost him in April of this year and it's been a pretty tough year for me. This was taken before the time of digital cameras. I was being funny wearing a Santa hat and told him let's take a picture together. Only after getting it developed I realized he stood perfectly in front of a picture and became Rudolph! I added the glow for affect  
Really interesting timing. An article (The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease) posted in the Wall Street Journal in May (around the time a long term study showed that saturated fats are not bad for our hearts) has a lot of really good information on this topic. Some things of note  And something a little more surprising.. Imagine that! A company with significant investment in shifting us away from animal based lard/fat helped fund an organization...
 I like chili both ways. It always has diced tomatoes along with onion and bell/poblano pepper but yea, it's a spicy meat sauce. Nothing really wrong with that. I usually end up adding crackers and sour cream with shredded cheese, I often like it served over rice. I'm not kidding though on the no beans (and no pasta) rules. I think it may be because they want to judge the chili on the seasoning along with the quality and uniformity of the meat. Most competition chili has...
I've got a big pot of chili on. I usually stick with competition style chili with cubed steak and no beans but this time I decided to go with large ground round and put quite a few beans in...   Couldn't wait.. time to eat!
I think that you have to consider the amount of fat that may be present in the fried food. For instance, Alton Brown did some tests with fried turkeys where he measured the oil prior to frying and after frying. I think his results were something like 2 tablespoons remained with the bird, which is miniscule. A lot of this science is still being evaluated too. It used to be thought that nomadic early humans would have been very fit because of their physical exercise and lack...