Posts by eastshores

The amount of meat you decide to portion for each person can be varied pretty heavily depending on whether you are doing pulled pork sandwiches vs. just the meat. Also, having a lot of side dishes would allow you to go with smaller meat portions.
Rainy day here so I decided to make some comfort food. Chicken and dumplings. My grocer makes good rotisserie chickens that can be pulled easily so I use those. Benefit of making this is I get to use the carcass and vege trimmings for stock!    
My buddy has joined a competition BBQ team and they do real well on ribs, pulled pork, and chicken but have been struggling with brisket. So he is endeavoring to perfect that. He cooked a brisket Friday night and I had bought one to do Saturday. This was my first time ever smoking a brisket. For the most part I followed Franklins BBQ method and watched his video on trimming it. Rub was a simple equal portion of ground pepper, mustard seed, salt, and garlic powder.   I...
Good lookin eggs @Koukouvagia and I would concur.. as long as the yolk isn't cooked through (unless it's a boiled egg which I still love) just about any egg will do!
Speaking of presentation.. how many of you trim eggs? I've seen it done on various TV programs. I think in my example the outer "thin" white would be trimmed off. I happen to like that part though because of the crispy edges.
 Yea.. I used to baste them. The picture I posted was with just the lid and the steam from the egg white cooking off.. no added water. I was happy with the result, the white was just cooked through. I think to some degree there is a presentation issue, where people prefer to see the yolk as yellow and a basted egg tends to completely change that look.
Eggs are always a fun topic in cooking because they are so simple, versatile, delicious, and yet they can be challenging to get just right. I was wondering what techniques you guys use for a sunny side up egg? I've experimented with different approaches. I personally do not like any runny egg white, so it's an extremely thin line for me between being under and over. I've arrived at just getting the pan (small non-stick skillet with just a little oil sprayed on it) up to a...
Is anyone else experiencing a lot of delays in loading things on the site? Not sure if that has anything to do with the eventual move but it's been dragging for me since this morning.
Dijon is quite a bit different than a plain mustard - for instance it almost always has white wine in it.   What end product do you want? I read you want to have something that tastes like commercial honey mustard, but avoid things like processed sugars or preservatives?   Let's take a look at French's honey mustard ingredients: DISTILLED VINEGAR, WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, #1 GRADE MUSTARD SEED, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, SALT, CARROT OLEORESIN (COLOR), HONEY, SPICES...
So.. one of the places I think of when I imagine spice markets, and particularly saffron is Morocco. I'd seen kefta (kind of a grilled meat kabob) and had wanted to try it for some time, but in researching saffron recently I realized one of the popular condiments for kefta is a saffron yogurt sauce. That sealed the deal! So, in this dish I am cooking for the first time kefta, saffron yogurt sauce, and a saffron couscous.   I am making beef ketfa, lamb is another popular...