Posts by eastshores

I must say I posted my comment just seconds before that post showed up.. good stuff all around!
Oh lord.. the Swedish (former) Chef is running away with this one! Home turf advantage!   
Ok. Research phase has begun. Is (what appears to me to be) German influence in some food just part of the overall Baltic food, or is this something specifically introduced to Sweden through immigration? I suppose I could answer much of this with google and wikipedia but since the host is from Sweden I think it's cool to make this part of the challenge discussion!
I like this challenge.. we don't often see a cultural challenge and that's a fantastic way for us to have our monthly challenge broaden our understandings. Most of us are going to have to do some research here. Could you explain to me whether "Scandinavian" or "New Nordic" are acceptable terms when it comes to Sweden? Wikipedia tells me that "Nordic" countries include Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. Should we focus specifically on Sweden or can we consider the broader Nordic?
 Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'm on the right track.
 You mean to have an easier release? If so, I have in the past and it does help. I tried to stick with this recipe as not to introduce some failure on my own part so I used flour. Fact of the matter in my opinion now is a floured wooden board is like a seasoned iron skillet. The wood is porous and can take in more flour which creates more of a non-stick surface. I'll keep the aluminum peel around because it's probably better for extracting once the bottom has firmed up...
Years ago I some how stumbled on what authentic Neopolitan style pizza was. The type cooked in clay ovens running close to 1000F and the kind most Italians would shun you for eating without a fork and knife. So off an on over the years I've tried various ways to come up with a method of coming close to this at home. I hadn't taken the plunge into buying a Big Green Egg ceramic cooker, but heard it could get up to 900F+ .. I've tried it on an offset smoker by loading the...
 Egg wash! It is also what contributes to the browned tops vs. something like oil.
I know this is a stretch but it's all I can contribute at the moment. Burgers are certainly a party food - and my buddy wanted to get together to grill some burgers later. I've been getting back into bread baking some and since I was up early I decided I'd give baking some hamburger buns a shot. Found the recipe I thought looked easy enough from King Arthur (which I happen to use their bread flour for this) Here's the recipe   I have a ways to go on shaping and whatnot...
So I wasn't really planning this but since this thread was still in my mind I pulled the trigger. Monday night I grilled some pork chops and roasted some red potatoes. Since I had plenty of leftover roasted potatoes, and 80/20 ground chuck was on sale.. I whipped up a sharp cheddar mornay sauce and cooked up the burger.. combined with the roasted potatoes and have a tasty dish that is every bit of what hamburger helper "potato au gratin" was as a kid .. talk about stick to...