or Connect

Posts by eastshores

Oh man... dat skin tho!
My buddy got some pics from dinner and put them into some kind of collage. I went out with another friend last night in his airboat and he gigged a huge tilapia (invasive in FL) so we had some fish tacos. I did some reuben sliders on the grill as an appetizer.. we also had plenty of wings.  
Saw this going around today.. thought some here might enjoy it. Here's a link to the full size image.  
 I would not expect to see an item listed on the menu as being prepared sous vide unless the establishment is trying too hard to be trendy. You certainly aren't going to find that at higher end restaurants that have been employing sous vide for years - it's not a passing fad or gimmick to those places.
You can also use the term "confit" to describe specifically poaching in oil or syrup.
I'm still pondering if compression alone is to be considered within the nomenclature of "sous vide" .. in Keller's book "Under Pressure" there is a section devoted to vegetables and fruit, and one particular dish has no heat applied at all yet he felt it appropriate to include it in a book on nothing but "sous vide". Watermelon is compressed and then diced to resemble tar tar, then a speherized mango "yolk" is place on top. That's it!   One reason we banter so much about...
Lagom it's not the same but I recently tried out one of the flat bread brands at the grocery store that you par bake for 2 minutes.. add toppings and then bake again for 4 minutes. Only 120 calories for the bread too.. but it's more like a pizza cracker hahaha
Yea because Sous Vide is a N. American term.
 I've only seen that term used for units that were one piece with the circulator and water tub all built into a single appliance. My Anova is an immersion circulator, and I wouldn't call a pot full of water with my circulator in it a water oven personally. The vacuum packing is a completely separate part of the technique as well and not covered by that term.
Yes FF, I let go of that and I'll concede what your expounding on. Can we agree that sous vide still invokes the meaning of "under vacuum" as this is the term that is used for vacuum packing? In the end, it has nothing to do with maintaining an actual vacuum inside the bag. Rather, it is the method in which the air is removed from the bag and so the term is still appropriate. We have to call the technique something, and rather than saying "Yea, today I am cooking.. beef...