or Connect

Posts by eastshores

Yes FF, I let go of that and I'll concede what your expounding on. Can we agree that sous vide still invokes the meaning of "under vacuum" as this is the term that is used for vacuum packing? In the end, it has nothing to do with maintaining an actual vacuum inside the bag. Rather, it is the method in which the air is removed from the bag and so the term is still appropriate. We have to call the technique something, and rather than saying "Yea, today I am cooking.. beef...
 Well.. that's like your opinion man.. Here's an excerpt by food scientist and author Harold McGee out of Keller's book on sous vide: "This new heating method is the twenty-first-century version of the bain-marie, or water bath, which goes back to medieval times. It goes by the name sous vide, meaning "under vacuum," and it involves two new applicances and two basic steps. First you use a vacuum-packing machine to seal food tightly in a plastic bag. Then you immerse the...
All this to say that the French translation got it wrong? But using a translator "vacuum packed" is still translated as emballé sous vide .. sous vide is still the appropriate term. Even Thomas Keller's book is titled "Under Pressure - cooking sous vide" I hope we are done with this lol
You know what.. I'm not going to get into a debate on the physics of a vacuum and whether or not what is done using a vacuum chamber or food saver meets the popular opinion here.   How about the terminology referring to vacuum packaging. Which wikipedia defines as: "Vacuum packing is a method of packaging that removes air from the package prior to sealing".   Suffice it to say that definition is all that is needed in the discussion of sous vide cooking.
 I don't agree at all. If the seal of a vacuum sealed bag is compromised air will come rushing into the bag until it reaches equilibrium with the surrounding atmospheric pressure, it does that because of the vacuum present.
 FF, you are speaking along the lines of physics and what would be considered a "perfect vacuum" - our handy dandy food savers that suck air out of the bag are in fact creating a vacuum, which simply means it is changing the air pressure inside the bag. Commercial vacuum chamber sealers create an even better vacuum but in either case the product in the bag is under the effect of an atmospheric pressure change due to the vacuum - this is why melon can be compressed this way...
By the way.. for anyone wanting to make the jump into cooking with an immersion circulator, amazon is having their "Prime Day" sale and you can get an Anova circulator that is regularly $179 for $139.99
 Eggs aren't! but yes, "sous vide" translated from the French term is "in vacuum" so that is by and large what sous vide means. There are actually cold applications of sous vide - for instance water melon can be prepared sous vide which creates a dense and concentrated product without ever applying heat. We could argue all day over the precise meaning of the term, but the reality is that most people that have an understanding of what it means to "cook something sous vide"...
I don't think there's a big deal. Like I said.. it's just another technique to throw in the bag should have you the equipment and inclination to do it. There are real and tangible benefits to it but I think the reason some people get up in arms about it is that sous vide has been pushed in media as this new miraculous molecular gastronomy super technique.. which dwarfs all other methods of cooking.   That simply isn't true and really in my opinion no one should stand...
Another aspect of sous vide that is not accomplished with traditional poaching is that there is no loss of nutrient/flavor. Take for instance a vegetable that is boiled/poached - you can't argue with the fact that some amount of nutrient and flavor is lost to the poaching liquid during the cooking process. Under vacuum seal that is not possible. Vegetables tend to have a slightly more intense flavor when cooked sous vide from my tests.   At the end of the day it's a...