or Connect

Posts by eastshores

Once in a while my grocer gets in some nice jumbo shrimp. Being that they are wild caught and never frozen they probably come from the shrimp boats off the coast about 30 minutes away. Anyway I usually don't eat shrimp but once ever 6-8 months when the nice shrimp are in I'll do my favorite shrimp dish, a southern classic shrimp and grits. I used yellow grits for the first time, and instead of cheddar I grated an aged havarti into them.  
There was a group (forum) of individuals that worked at getting the recipe figured out. They ended up putting this out there (hi-res link) as what they determined to be the recipe. I believe this was done through insider knowledge, as well as a significant amount of testing.     Here's a sample someone posted on reddit using the above recipe guidelines. They didn't cook this in a pressure fryer though.  
 How long do you let yours rise? I figure that has something to do with the amount of gluten that forms as well.
One thought is your filling has too much moisture in it. I've also had this happen when I rolled the pasta sheet too thin.
Interesting topic. I think the notion of a "pork flavor" is too broad. A smoked pork shoulder does not taste at all like a country ham, which does not taste at all like chorizo sausage. So depending on which of those flavors you're going for it would change the approach. One thing I might try would be the addition of either a dry or paste pork bouillon product. It could help intensify the pork flavor, but I think most of those products lean towards a ham flavor which may...
Frying would by definition imply that you are cooking the meat in fat. So, I think that's a zero starter. You will never get fried chicken from a dry pan. If you are simply wanting to saute these meats I think you can achieve that but I would recommend browning the meat on direct heat and then finishing it in the oven.Your mileage will vary based on the type of meat you are cooking. Many meats have enough fat present that you wouldn't need to add any additional fat for a...
I just saw mention of sugar in cole slaw the other day. There is a valid argument in the case that you use vinegar and buttermilk to use just the slightest amount of sugar to counterbalance the acidity. Personally I like my coleslaw with that level of acid so I would forgo the sugar but it is probably a regional preference. In the South US to add sugar to cornbread is blasphemy, but most all Northerners add it to their cornbread. Whatever floats your boat!
Can a pressure cooker really achieve the depth of flavor that a slow simmering would in less time? Seems like would be something you couldn't really force to be sped up, but I suppose if you roast your veges and bones before hand you've already achieve the caramelization and are just releasing those flavors. How do you deal with the scum that needs to be skimmed from the surface? I assume you just do that all at once after releasing the pressure?
Quote: I just happen to watch an episode of Bourdain's Parts Unknown last night where he was in Lyon, Paris and at the restaurant of Paul Bocuse where a dish of wild hare was prepared. The sauce looked almost exactly like yours and they mentioned that the blood of the hare was used to achieve the thickness and color of the sauce. It really looked like they drenched it in melted dark chocolate. Such a wonderful color. I've used dark chocolate as you mention in chili, in...
Great looking dish Chris. That gravy looks outstanding. Did you add anything that would darken it that much?   Chicken breasts were on sale so I pounded one to even thickness and seasoned with thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. The thyme powder didn't do any wonders for the color on the chicken haha. I got my first harvest of collard greens so I steamed those in broth and finished with a little parmesan.