or Connect

Posts by eastshores

I think there are proven antioxidant benefits to tea regardless of additives. I believe there is also evidence that caffeine in small daily amounts has a benefit. If we're going to stick sugar in our tea though, I'd think a splash of whiskey would be as helpful or more as any other form, since small amounts of alcohol per day also show health benefits  
This is interesting. Allan, have you tried exaggerating this with a vacuum seal? I've never personally seen this happen but that is because I tend to prep my zucchini very soon before I use it. Cheflayne is right, zucchini has what I read to be very high levels of natural pectin, I wonder if it is a combination of effects?
I sat here pondering and there was a particular meal that probably doesn't seem all that special, but the circumstances just made me recall it over the years. As kids around 11 yrs old, my friend and I had decided to ride our bicycles a fair distance to go visit another friend at his grandmothers. This was during the summer in FL, and anyone that has had the experience of being here knows that obscene thunderstorms can come upon you in a moments notice. I felt the air turn...
Very nice Lagom! Love doing whole hog! We didn't have as large a group but my buddy brought his cabinet smoker and did two "beer can" chickens. I did about 12 lbs of pork shoulder. The rest of the family and friends brought deviled eggs, corn on the cob, baked beans, asparagus, lots of bread, watermelon, etc. Had a good time swimming to escape the Florida heat after 7.5 hrs of stoking the firebox! Here's what we ended up with from the smokers.  
Wow.. Greenranger.. you're a bit out of line with that attitude. If you hang around here long enough, you'll learn Phatch is definitely not "just some guy who likes food" .. I'm not either (I like photography and crazy ass experiments with food too) Our discussions should be in good fun and they generally help everyone to learn a thing or two from each other.
yep.. people sure have their opinions on these things!   I wouldn't suggest pulling the rib tips early.. they are in fact filled with a lot of fat/cartilage (which is part of their appeal to those that lust for them) so as long as you are cooking low and slow I'd leave them in the full time. Haven't had much trouble with this myself.
 Some people will fight you for the rib tips.. I leave them on for that reason, it's preference but some people definitely prefer that (like white or dark meat on chicken)
Well, it's hard to beat really good sweet corn (not overcooked) rolled in butter!   One thing I have done with corn on the cob, and this also works for leftovers is to roast it on the grill. Let it cool down to handle then slice the kernels off for a roasted corn salsa. I usually add diced (poblano, onion, garlic), plenty of lime juice, S&P, and cilantro.
Phatch I do think that a lot of people use wet marinades for the exact reason you mentioned, it provides a flavorful "sauce" for the outside. I think the argument for a dry rub is really no different than a wet marinade, they are both providing general seasoning and that's pretty much all they are doing. I think someone mentioned injecting but in my experience that usually results in little pockets of flavor. As far as brines, most store bought poultry has already been...
Just a thought if you still want to achieve something that is really flavorful but not a marinade. It's done all the time for low and slow cooking but it works on the grill too, that is a spray bottle used to "baste" the chicken as you're grilling it. I typically use a liquid that is equal parts lemon juice, worcestershire, and vinegar. You can add honey as well depending on what you're going for. It gives the skin nice coloring and a bright tangy flavor. Here's some leg...