or Connect

Posts by eastshores

After going to the food truck bazaar last night and being a bit underwhelmed I am seriously considering investing in a small "pop up" style setup where I could use a utility trailer to haul the necessary equipment to prep on site and cook chicken and waffles.   I think I have a good idea of the type of setup I'd need to turn things out quickly, and still be able to break down and setup easily. What I am unsure of, are the type of requirements (I know it can vary by...
Ok, so my adventure to the food truck bazaar was decent. The problem really is, there is so much you would want to taste, but most of the trucks sell their products for between $6 and $14 so it's worth coordinating with friends and sharing.   We had 27 trucks all parked in a square in a parking lot.. lots of people.   Here's the truck I wanted to check out. Clay oven in a truck.. who would think.   I was disappointed that for a place with a clay oven they did not...
 Well, in my little town we have a major high school style drama going on because a new "fresh juice" place opened up. They have a more modern feel, and know how to market using social media, etc. Is it hurting the previously established place? Yep.. (the old place has accused them of stealing recipes) and the different restaurants downtown are taking sides. The whole point of that, is yes, it can lose a place business if they built their reputation on a particular product...
I'm excited about going out to Orlando for my first experience with The Food Truck Bazaar .. they are going to have 25 trucks tonight and the one I want to hit up is called "900 Degreez Pizza", it's a food truck with a clay oven in it! I'll report back later tonight, hopefully with a picture of a magnificent Neapolitan pizza.
I would never ask a restaurant for a recipe! As I mentioned that is their intellectual property in a highly competitive world. To me that seems like common sense. I would never walk into the Ford factory and ask for documentation on how they assemble their vehicle. Both parties earn their income from that information. The farthest I have gone, in restaurants where I had a really good relationship with the owners is to playfully list ingredients I can detect. I love to see...
 Indeed. Would you mind telling me the station call sign? A 3 hr show on non-subscribed radio is pretty freakin awesome.
I think this notion of "secret" is a bit silly with the exception of one venue: Competition. A better way for me to understand this is "proprietary technology". That being said, if you are not cooking for a living, or you don't have a family heirloom legacy to attempt to protect as some sort of valuable concept, or perhaps establish, then what in the hell do you think you are hiding and why? It just doesn't make sense. The culinary arts are all about teaching and evolution...
No pictures but I attended a pot luck get together to play bluegrass music. I decided to deep fry some cheddar cornbread fritters, they turned out really great and I was surprised the base recipe didn't call for any eggs. Others made seafood chowder, lasagna, shrimp macaroni salad, slow cooked southern beans (think cassoulet) .. we had a good time.
Nice! And yes.. you should have!
I know this has the dreaded "dog food look" .. but I sometimes use canned albacore (I don't eat tuna that isn't cooked through because I don't like the texture) and decided to try one that was in olive oil with lemon and dill. I've also never had swiss chard before, and secondly never have grown it so this was all new stuff for me. I sauteed the swiss chard with some garlic in my wok, then mixed the tuna in just to heat it up. Finished with some chili oil. All in all...