or Connect

Posts by eastshores

Thanks! I was wondering since I've only used King Arthur bread flour, has anyone tried with just AP? Would it produce a softer crumb than the higher protein bread flour? I thought on my next batch I'd go with 100% AP to see if there is a swing in how it comes out, then I could play with percentages of AP vs bread flour. I especially like the kind of bread I made last night for dipping in oil with garlic and herbs.. but it has to be fresh out of the oven. It develops a chew...
I think a whole hog roast can be a stand in for any major holiday meal. I have never tried a prime rib roast, I'd like to some day try that.
It worked!! .. I'm so excited. I never would have thought the amount of yeast would make such a big difference. I think that and lowering the oven temp to 450 made the biggest differences. But using the right amount of flour to make it workable, along with spraying just a little oil in the pan helped. The bottom crust is just the right thickness and the outer crust is unbelievably thin but crisp. Due to the holidays I ended up letting this rise inside the microwave for...
I didn't get a photo of the whole spread. I posted a couple platters I did in a different thread but will include them here. This was the first year I oven roasted a turkey. I've fried them for probably the past 8 years so wanted to try this out. I made a sage and thyme compound butter and rubbed it under the skin along the breast and thighs. Here's the turkey about to get brushed with butter.     And my meat and cheese platter, along with relish platter. Just snacks...
Well I ended up using past experiences and decided to remove the veges and create a relish platter with a meat and cheese platter. The relishes are basically all store bought stuff, but the olive mixture is nice, it was in a marinade of olive oil and herbs and includes garlic, and peppers too. The cheeses are some of the best I've had, particularly the aged havarti, it's about perfect for what I want in a cheese. Nothing extraordinary, I used a little parsley from the...
Awesome! My house didn't smell as good..       Maybe next year I can do that. Do you use turkey carcass/bones? I don't often eat turkey during the year but I suppose you could make chicken stock and that would work well.
I was reading about various things for the turkey tomorrow.. and couldn't wait. Since my bread disaster I had some left that worked well for stuffing with sage and thyme from the garden. Got me a $5.00 turkey breast and roasted it in my convection toaster oven. I'll enjoy the ham tomorrow!  
I stumbled across this info online and thought I would share. "Scallions" or green onions are well known, but one thing I didn't realize is that they are typically the thinned plants from operations where they are growing yellow or white onions. Also, they are amazingly resilient and you can definitely plant them in your garden to grow into full size onions.   In addition, there is no need to leave the greens on when you go to plant. My grocer has them for 74 cents for a...
I'm going to start my next batch now... 1/4 tsp of yeast this time..
After hi-jacking the what did you have for dinner thread with endless discussion on no knead bread and recipes, results, etc. It was suggested we have a thread specifically for this. ChefTalk has a dedicated forum for pastries and baking but I know we have a family here in the food & cooking forum that is unique and I am sure we'd enjoy having this here.   So that said, let's lead off with our ambassadors of no knead.. @petalsandcoco, @kaneohegirlinaz, and @French Fries...