Posts by eastshores

I've done this and had good results although depending on your personal preference (I do not like ANY runny white) it can be tough. The key really is the +- 1 degree temp. You have a time window to work in that is much larger than would be if you were trying to do soft boiled using boiling water. I am surprised that the eggs over cooked though - that's not how sous vide is supposed to work.. it should never be possible to get past the target temp which is what we use to...
I decided that today would be the day I finally attempted to make tamales. I've always enjoyed them. It is a pretty involved process, cooking down the pork, rice, making the masa, soaking corn husks, assembling, etc. etc. I also made some salsa this morning and for the tamales I made a rojo sauce using ancho chilis and some of the reserved liquid from the pork.   Here's the pork roast being seared. I used a blend of seasonings along with chili powder     Tamales...
You know if you google "shepards pie" the evidence alone shows that a huge number of people make the dish using ground beef. One has to wonder once a word becomes synonymous with a certain definition then is it really incorrect to use the term? I think that most diners - if seeing shepards pie on the menu in the US will assume that it is a ground red meat.. so I don't think anyone would actually care if it was beef or lamb.. or goat.. or at Ikea maybe horse.   If you...
 Yes.. it should never be "left out" .. proper food handling guidelines apply.. Does this need to be a thread on food safety?If they pickled.. or cured it.. we'd really get things going
 Assuming he doesn't go past the "done-ness" in temp the water bath with will bring it up to a perfect consistency. If you have a perfect temp for your salmon.. you can set that and the immersion circulator will nail it.. all your proteins will not only hit that temp.. you can hold them there for hours.
 I can only imagine you ending up in the North East.. and after proclaiming what is or isn't Shepard's pie asking for chowda...You asked for this buddy..
That's fine.. good to call it out. I'll call it by the right name from now on. Cottage Pie - almost no one else in the US will understand this difference.. nor will some care. I do though.. thank you :)
 I still think sous vide is perfect for such a situation.. but that you need to have it ready to plate from the time you take it from the water bath. So seasoning and searing up front, then finishing in the water bath seems like it would provide what you need. You'd be able to go from bag to plate. In any event a test run would be ideal.
Not a particularly attractive dish.. but I hadn't had shepard's pie in a long time and decided I'd put a little effort into this.. was going to make a beef stock and reduce it down.. but my grocer had no beef bones.. so I had to use the drippings from the ground beef along with a little "better than bullion". I also didn't quite get my ratios right and the gravy expanded (or potato contracted) and I ended up with a gravy volcano. This covered my tedious garlic mashed with...
 Whoops yea I was thinking the thought backwards.. because I was thinking of the delay in finishing the seared salmon. So yes just a normal sear but then into vacuum and holding. Then water bath which can be held without much time constraint and straight to plating.