or Connect

Posts by eastshores

So the ratio is 3 parts fat to 1 part acid.   That's what I started the day with.. and oh man.. did I go off the rails. I did a straight up lemon juice with 1/2 canola oil and 1/2 olive oil.. what a horrible flavor that was. I added honey, red win vinegar, and chopped basil and lemon zest along with about a tbsp of sugar.   I whisked and whisked.. and it sort of seemed OK.. it wasn't great.   What in the hell is a vinaigrette?   To me.. it should be like a salad...
I just picked up about $400 worth of hotel pans for $133. I compared the 6 inch 1/6th pan on amazon it was $9.45 and I got it for $2.77 - food service warehouse is apparently going out of business and have things 30 to 90% off.   http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/   Just thought you guys would like to know in case there's something you've been wanting to pick up.
Content is the name of the game.. this is no different on cheftalk.com than on epicurious.com although the process of creating content is different. Since you are not really building a community you would not have consistent content creators coming to the site to offer that for free. In addition, your content is heavily focused on recipes and relies on a set of functionality that you plan to build to associate meta information (ingredients) in a form that is searchable....
I just read back through the entire "Fish Challenge" thread and honestly that is the best example of the true beauty of this little website I think anyone could find. It illustrates everything that is good and right with the community; encouragement, questioning, support, passion etc. That was one heck of a month.. @Nicko even came out of his shell and posted multiple entries!   Two years later - in a world that seems to be spinning out of control, I had tears in my eyes...
Awesome Mike9.. that's the type of dish I would never think of with grilling. Sounds incredible.
 I am not a fan of wet ribs.. sticky sugary wet ribs need to go away. If I want candy I know where to get it. Give me spice.. and a vinegar mustard sauce on the side. I may be starting a war but that is how I feel.
So you had an elephant over for dinner?
 Thanks butzy.. btw.. I'm sorry it is winter there.. we should have stew for you.  Hasselback potato .. I had to look up the origin "The name is derived from the restaurant where they were first introduced in the 1940s, Hasselbacken in Stockholm, Sweden" It's a potato sliced but not cut through (this is the knife skill test ).. so that roasted at around 450F you get maximum crunchy roasted edges. This is a blurry shot of the two I did.. 
Awesome idea for a challenge! Love the entries.. something about the potatoes coming out covered in ash that makes them tastes like cave man and awesomeness! I love cooking outside. Fell in love with low and slow cooking because it means that you can sit around with your favorite friends and loved ones and just enjoy the fact that we are blessed to have good friends and food. Not that you can't do that in the kitchen, but I prefer the sweet smell of smoke, and swimming...
Thanks kgirl! I took a hiatus.. between work stress.. and just generally being in a funk I kind of lost my passion for cooking but things are looking up and I'm getting back into it some so I hope to you see you around more often!