or Connect

Posts by eastshores

You can also use the term "confit" to describe specifically poaching in oil or syrup.
I'm still pondering if compression alone is to be considered within the nomenclature of "sous vide" .. in Keller's book "Under Pressure" there is a section devoted to vegetables and fruit, and one particular dish has no heat applied at all yet he felt it appropriate to include it in a book on nothing but "sous vide". Watermelon is compressed and then diced to resemble tar tar, then a speherized mango "yolk" is place on top. That's it!   One reason we banter so much about...
Lagom it's not the same but I recently tried out one of the flat bread brands at the grocery store that you par bake for 2 minutes.. add toppings and then bake again for 4 minutes. Only 120 calories for the bread too.. but it's more like a pizza cracker hahaha
Yea because Sous Vide is a N. American term.
 I've only seen that term used for units that were one piece with the circulator and water tub all built into a single appliance. My Anova is an immersion circulator, and I wouldn't call a pot full of water with my circulator in it a water oven personally. The vacuum packing is a completely separate part of the technique as well and not covered by that term.
Yes FF, I let go of that and I'll concede what your expounding on. Can we agree that sous vide still invokes the meaning of "under vacuum" as this is the term that is used for vacuum packing? In the end, it has nothing to do with maintaining an actual vacuum inside the bag. Rather, it is the method in which the air is removed from the bag and so the term is still appropriate. We have to call the technique something, and rather than saying "Yea, today I am cooking.. beef...
 Well.. that's like your opinion man.. Here's an excerpt by food scientist and author Harold McGee out of Keller's book on sous vide: "This new heating method is the twenty-first-century version of the bain-marie, or water bath, which goes back to medieval times. It goes by the name sous vide, meaning "under vacuum," and it involves two new applicances and two basic steps. First you use a vacuum-packing machine to seal food tightly in a plastic bag. Then you immerse the...
All this to say that the French translation got it wrong? But using a translator "vacuum packed" is still translated as emballé sous vide .. sous vide is still the appropriate term. Even Thomas Keller's book is titled "Under Pressure - cooking sous vide" I hope we are done with this lol
You know what.. I'm not going to get into a debate on the physics of a vacuum and whether or not what is done using a vacuum chamber or food saver meets the popular opinion here.   How about the terminology referring to vacuum packaging. Which wikipedia defines as: "Vacuum packing is a method of packaging that removes air from the package prior to sealing".   Suffice it to say that definition is all that is needed in the discussion of sous vide cooking.
 I don't agree at all. If the seal of a vacuum sealed bag is compromised air will come rushing into the bag until it reaches equilibrium with the surrounding atmospheric pressure, it does that because of the vacuum present.