or Connect

Posts by eastshores

So you had an elephant over for dinner?
 Thanks butzy.. btw.. I'm sorry it is winter there.. we should have stew for you.  Hasselback potato .. I had to look up the origin "The name is derived from the restaurant where they were first introduced in the 1940s, Hasselbacken in Stockholm, Sweden" It's a potato sliced but not cut through (this is the knife skill test ).. so that roasted at around 450F you get maximum crunchy roasted edges. This is a blurry shot of the two I did.. 
Awesome idea for a challenge! Love the entries.. something about the potatoes coming out covered in ash that makes them tastes like cave man and awesomeness! I love cooking outside. Fell in love with low and slow cooking because it means that you can sit around with your favorite friends and loved ones and just enjoy the fact that we are blessed to have good friends and food. Not that you can't do that in the kitchen, but I prefer the sweet smell of smoke, and swimming...
Thanks kgirl! I took a hiatus.. between work stress.. and just generally being in a funk I kind of lost my passion for cooking but things are looking up and I'm getting back into it some so I hope to you see you around more often!
My grocer had wild sockeye salmon on sale $2 cheaper per pound than farm raised. It looked beautiful and was never frozen so I made salmon piccata over sauteed shaved brussel sprouts.  
@Mike9 We wrap the tenderloin with bacon anytime we smoke one for that sexy pork on pork action.. slow smoked bacon is hard to describe.. it's everything bacon should be.   My buddy and I did that today, along with a whole chicken, some baby back ribs, sausages and a side of salmon. We had a large brisket on too but it was not ready for the dinner bell.  
Oh man... dat skin tho!
My buddy got some pics from dinner and put them into some kind of collage. I went out with another friend last night in his airboat and he gigged a huge tilapia (invasive in FL) so we had some fish tacos. I did some reuben sliders on the grill as an appetizer.. we also had plenty of wings.  
Saw this going around today.. thought some here might enjoy it. Here's a link to the full size image.  
 I would not expect to see an item listed on the menu as being prepared sous vide unless the establishment is trying too hard to be trendy. You certainly aren't going to find that at higher end restaurants that have been employing sous vide for years - it's not a passing fad or gimmick to those places.