Posts by eastshores

Got a wok a while back that is some form of spun down cast iron so it's light weight. Tried it out tonight on some bok choy and thin sliced chuck steak. What I am really excited about is a sauce I found at the Asian market in town. This stuff is sooo good. I guess it's like a combination of things but the deep underlying notes of black pepper pair super well with beef     I forgot I had some scallions to slice up but I'll probably use them as a garnish on the...
Thomas Keller has a book out on sous vide called "under pressure" I like it.. although it's not something I go to often it's one of those books I consider to be higher up on my learning curve.   https://www.amazon.com/Under-Pressure-Cooking-Thomas-Library/dp/1579653510/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484581211&sr=8-2&keywords=under+pressure   I'm not sure how to link to amazon in a way that cheftalk gets credit.. @Pete you know?
Thanks for the ideas so far! Using egg yolk in a ravioli has always intrigued me. I bet the technique of cooking the pasta without cooking the yolk past the runny state is not as simple as one might imagine. I've seen in photos that the pasta is usually quite thin.   One my brother and I had planned to do but haven't yet.. is a chicken liver puree with caramelized shallots. I would add sauteed mushroom but his wife doesn't care for mushrooms. Doing some form of chicken...
My sister is coming to stay at my place for a couple days and she enjoys cooking like I do. We were talking about various things we could tackle while I was mentioning the equipment I have. She informed me that she had never made ravioli. So we're going to make some and while I've done some basic fillings before.. ricotta, sausage, basil, etc. the sky really is the limit.   What would be your dream filling? If you have an actual recipe for ratios etc. please share that...
Well I went through a bit of a similar ordeal over this past Christmas. I was following a recipe for beef tenderloin that was designed to cook it very slow.. at 225F/107C and my temp started climbing rapidly. I ended up opening the door a few times and lowered my oven temp to slow the crawl so that it would be ready when we wanted. You should do the same. I had a meat probe in mine.. but I also use this instant read. I was pretty happy with how mine came out  
Ok.. so we have repeated the process and I ended up with the same Chris. Let me say this.. the whites are barely set... the yolk is over.. This was 4 hours of cook time!  
I've done this and had good results although depending on your personal preference (I do not like ANY runny white) it can be tough. The key really is the +- 1 degree temp. You have a time window to work in that is much larger than would be if you were trying to do soft boiled using boiling water. I am surprised that the eggs over cooked though - that's not how sous vide is supposed to work.. it should never be possible to get past the target temp which is what we use to...
I decided that today would be the day I finally attempted to make tamales. I've always enjoyed them. It is a pretty involved process, cooking down the pork, rice, making the masa, soaking corn husks, assembling, etc. etc. I also made some salsa this morning and for the tamales I made a rojo sauce using ancho chilis and some of the reserved liquid from the pork.   Here's the pork roast being seared. I used a blend of seasonings along with chili powder     Tamales...
You know if you google "shepards pie" the evidence alone shows that a huge number of people make the dish using ground beef. One has to wonder once a word becomes synonymous with a certain definition then is it really incorrect to use the term? I think that most diners - if seeing shepards pie on the menu in the US will assume that it is a ground red meat.. so I don't think anyone would actually care if it was beef or lamb.. or goat.. or at Ikea maybe horse.   If you...
 Yes.. it should never be "left out" .. proper food handling guidelines apply.. Does this need to be a thread on food safety?If they pickled.. or cured it.. we'd really get things going