or Connect

Posts by eastshores

I picked up a head of cauliflower and some Hungarian wax peppers to try tonight. I guess there is also a sort of drink called "beet kvass" made by fermenting beets, that is supposed to be an extremely healthy tonic, apparently very popular in Russia and other parts of Europe?
 You can definitely use the same brine recipe for other types of vegetables. I'm still adjusting mine, going with 1/4 cup of salt to 6 cups of water might still be a bit too salty, so it's something you just have to figure out while keeping things in the zone. I like the crock a lot, and noticed that there are quite a few people on reddits pickling group that use the same one. I am thinking of pickling some beets and maybe mixing in onions with them. I'm also curious about...
 I didn't mean to!! I will go back to .. umm.. fish.. yep fish! Fish is the new challenge! I won't science anything anymore..
 Smoking is another form of curing. Nitric acid from the smoke permeates the meat and draws moisture out. It can only go in so far at that temp, thus the smoke ring. Same stuff
I'm not sure the color of the meat is what you really should be after when stewing. It's not as if a stewed meat is somehow magically medium rare inside in some applications. It is cooked low and slow for hours until none of the meat is even resembling "well done" but is cooked well past it. You might be falling victim to photography that shows meat that is cooked medium in a stew. If that is the case, know that they are simply playing tricks.. searing some meat to a...
They look great! It is a bit bonkers that they'd require that as homework. I know at my local grocer there are no gingerbread men to be bought for decoration. Maybe cookie dough sheets that you could cut, but still.. what the heck.
Sorry to post again on my own thread but there was a point that I didn't express here.   I've spent a good amount of time trying to create great pickles (years in fact although not constantly). Essentially to replicate some of the best pickles you might find in stores or restaurants. The overwhelming thought when biting into a great pickle is "zesty.. and spicy" and that led me down a road of trying to creating stupidly complex spice combinations to use in...
And JP comes out swinging! I'm calling it early
I also immediately thought of gastriques. To me that is the way to take just about any juice and create a sauce that works for both savory and sweet applications. The idea of using vegetable juice is very intriguing. I've done lemon, lime, and blood orange gastriques for seafood applications before but never a vegetable based one.   How would you go about juicing something like a grilled vegetable?
Update: Just after day 3 The fermentation kicked in pretty good, as evidenced by the bubbles that are on the surface of the brine below. This is similar to seeing the bubbles produced by your dry yeast when mixed with warm water, it lets you know (in this case) the lactobacillus are having a good time working on the sugars down there! Also note that the brine has become more cloudy, this is normal.     Today was tasting day! I took a couple shots, the first to show...