or Connect

Posts by eastshores

That sounds great! I would think the red onion used in the pickling would go well on the pizza too.
Ice and Spice? .. Flavors on Ice? haha you could draw a pear ice skating... OK.. I'll see myself out.
Just to clarify, when I used the term kosher, I was only implying a style of pickle. This is from WikiPedia on pickled cucumbers: 
 That sounds hot! I like it! I guess you would use that like a chili paste right? I would be tempted to add some garlic into it. I assume that would be safe with the salt quantity but not certain.
This is an interesting discussion because recently I acquired two sous vide units and have been playing around and reading. One issue with the "safe temperature" is that it is designed to be the simplest safe approach to food temperature and it doesn't take into consideration TIME. There is a logarithmic scale over temperature (starting around 130F) and time that truly represents what is safe to eat. ThankYou as others are suggesting what I think you are seeing is simply a...
A couple my mom would make.. Oyster stew.. this was just canned oysters and their liquor with milk and butter - add plenty of crumbled saltines. She would make a cast iron skillet dish called "cornbread tacos" .. I think she would bake a thin layer of cornbread in the skillet, then add ground beef with taco seasoning over it with cheese on top and then throw it back in the oven to melt the cheese. She would make fried salmon patties. Basically canned salmon mixed with...
Had a couple chicken breasts that I was hoping to try sous vide but never got around to it so decided tonight to make a sausage and chicken soup with spinach and potatoes. Soups are always fun because I never make them the same twice. I suppose at some point I should start writing down the recipe but then how would I know 3 months apart if one version was better than another. That's always been kind of a discouraging aspect of "recipes" to me.. I know my basic approach but...
I don't have any recent pictures, these were from about 9 months ago but these are my kosher garlic dill half sours.       I may try fermenting some pepper mash soon to make my own hot sauce. I think that would be fun.
I do the half sour deli style pickles myself. Last time I let them ferment for 3 days, but I noticed that after jarring them and placing them in the refrigerator, after about 3 weeks they had gone past the level of sourness I prefer. So next time I think I'll jar them after two full days. One thing that really shocked me, is the simplicity of the seasoning. It was simply garlic and black peppercorn with a little fresh dill. I've made all manners of spice mixes in the past...
I saw an episode of modern marvels not too long ago where they would puree meat to create a protein slurry that would effectively bind together mince meat for creating cold cuts. I wonder if you reserved 1/4 of the meat and processed it in a food processor if you could forgo any other binders. Not sure it would have the desired texture in the end though.   Regardless, your post was about your success and happiness with it, so if it ain't broke don't fix it!