or Connect

Posts by eastshores

That sounds unbelievably delicious! You don't happen to live in Florida right now do you?  We decided to go with the popular prime rib roast for Christmas this year. My buddy is going to handle the roast and au jus. His sister in law is doing the mashed potatoes and a bunch of other sides. I am actually a little at a loss as to what to do this year since everyone else has things covered. So I decided I'd do a pasta salad with good quality cheeses, salumi, etc. as...
Just thought I'd share my winter garden progress. It's been a very long road to get where I am with it now. Last spring I broke ground for the first time in a new location nearer to the house. I was hoping to share the experience with my father who taught me the love of growing food but he unfortunately passed away at the end of April. I wanted to see it through to honor his memory and I had a decent little crop going. Then the deer showed up and ate my pepper plants to...
Awesome! Kudos to you for having a desire to improve things and sticking with it to see it through!
Meat Glue = Transglutaminase
What temp is your oil? I'm feeling like it might be low. Also how are you timing your cooking? A chicken tender is a piece of muscle next to the breast. Cutting breasts into strips unless you are careful is going to create uneven thickness and those are not chicken tenders. Here's a diagram     I'd call them chicken "fingers" since you are using breast. Pat them dry, then dredge and into a 350 oil bath.. Should work. It's not complicated, keep the moisture off the...
After reading again about poke weed.. that is a bit scary! The poison saturation in the plant varies based on the maturity of the plant. So you can't be sure after three purges that the toxins are gone. And they are some nasty toxins, including hemoglobin toxins. No thanks! I'd certainly never try to serve that to someone and I wouldn't gamble on it myself.
This sounds like your chicken is the problem. First, and no offense but let's make sure you are not battering and frying frozen chicken tenders? I only say that because the amount of moisture that is present in a typical frozen chicken tender will absolutely blow off any breading because of the steam generated during cooking. Your remark that it shrinks during cooking is also a dead giveaway of way too much moisture being lost during the fry.   You can buy frozen tenders...
 Thanks I'm actually quite familiar with both. The downside to heart of palm is it kills the tree and you get very little yield. I don't have a lot of sable palms on my land either, and it is fairly illegal to go tromping around on public land killing trees. There are probably some farms so I'll definitely investigate that. My father was a true Florida cracker, born in his grandmothers home and so poor at times growing up that eating heart of palm, squirrel, and wild birds...
Thanks cheflayne, I ordered the book, it looks great. I don't get up to Gainesville too often since it's about a 2.5 hour drive but it sounds like a fun road trip. I've found one thing that looks exciting but I will have to wait until the spring. Some call it cossacks asparagus. It's the tender new shoots from the Cattail plant that grows around wetlands. I live walking distance from a lake connected to the St. John's River. From what I see online it looks very tender and...
Phatch I agree completely. Take chicken, lamb, goat, or cattle - they are almost universally included in some variation in the diet of people world wide that partake in eating meat. Sure places that are close to abundant fish resources may include more fish in their diet. In my mind I wasn't suggesting that we could sustain ourselves entirely off of food sourced of indigenous ingredients. Instead, what it seems to me is that with so many possibilities, so much resource at...