or Connect

Posts by eastshores

I read about the smell issue, and have not encountered that at all. The brand I have available to me in my grocer is "Pasta Zero" by Nasoya. It's a little more expensive.. around $2.58 for a package. Maybe they have already somewhat treated it? They also make a fettuccine cut, but given that they are a little rubbery like ramen noodles, I'm not sure I'd like them to be bigger.   For anyone interested in what they look like in a dish, this is a nasty photo but I made this...
I recently went on a diet, and while I could have pasta.. I'm not trying to cut out carbs, traditional pasta tends to really rack up the calories. Poking around I found mention of Shirataki noodles, which in my opinion can only be described as very similar to the noodle texture you get from a pack of "ramen" noodles. Which makes them excel at Asian inspired dishes.   The crazy thing about it, is a serving is just 15 calories. I can fill a whole bowl with noodles and be...
 Thanks! :) I'm having fun so far because it has forced me to think a little outside of the box. Although looking at my profile for today I realized I am instinctually making some missteps. My fat, cholesterol, and surprisingly protein went too high today. Didn't get enough potassium or fiber.
You all are eating well Nice stuff!   I recently put myself on a diet, going low with meats and fats but still sufficient. Just in comparison to how I used to eat, every meal I am making is carefully measured by ingredient so I know what I'm actually putting in my body over the course of a day. Made a quick little dinner.. warm baby romaine and golden tomato salad w/ Italian dressing. Fat free feta (first time trying.. I like it! It's a tad drier but otherwise the...
Pretty sure you just have to look at the rating for the immersion circulator. They should be rated for the number of gallons, since it has to move the water volume sufficiently to maintain temp. Then it's just a matter of how big a hotel pan and how many gallons you need to hold 200 eggs.
I'm going to prepare my fiddle for playing with the band at a celebration, so no cooking for me. They are cooking hundreds of lbs of corned beef along with cabbage and potatoes. They do a good job and for the most part people keep the shenanigans to a minimum. Last year though someone had left a car in the parking area that was closed off for this event, and our bass player kept setting off their car alarm. The people almost got worked up enough to pick it up and carry it...
Nicko, if it's ok please don't send me a giftcard and just use the funds to keep the lights on, or if you don't need it, add it to the meals on wheels funds.
I don't have a good handle on the benefits entirely but in general "pro-biotics" are accepted to be good and even necessary to health.   We've formed a relationship through thousands of years of perhaps trial and error, such that our microbial friends that keep our meats, milks, and grains in a state of nutrition without the danger of spoilage are even necessary to help us in digestion of such things.   Sauerkraut naturally fermented.. fermented pickles, radishes, etc....
If you are on facebook another great resource is The Cult of Pre-Pasteurian Preservation and Food Preparation
 When I was little.. like around 6.. after everyone went to bed I would sneak into the fridge and pull a slice of raw bacon out and chew on it. I don't remember ever coming down with trichinosis.. but who knows..