Posts by eastshores

Assuming he doesn't go past the "done-ness" in temp the water bath with will bring it up to a perfect consistency. If you have a perfect temp for your salmon.. you can set that and the immersion circulator will nail it.. all your proteins will not only hit that temp.. you can hold them there for hours.
 I can only imagine you ending up in the North East.. and after proclaiming what is or isn't Shepard's pie asking for chowda...You asked for this buddy..
That's fine.. good to call it out. I'll call it by the right name from now on. Cottage Pie - almost no one else in the US will understand this difference.. nor will some care. I do though.. thank you :)
 I still think sous vide is perfect for such a situation.. but that you need to have it ready to plate from the time you take it from the water bath. So seasoning and searing up front, then finishing in the water bath seems like it would provide what you need. You'd be able to go from bag to plate. In any event a test run would be ideal.
Not a particularly attractive dish.. but I hadn't had shepard's pie in a long time and decided I'd put a little effort into this.. was going to make a beef stock and reduce it down.. but my grocer had no beef bones.. so I had to use the drippings from the ground beef along with a little "better than bullion". I also didn't quite get my ratios right and the gravy expanded (or potato contracted) and I ended up with a gravy volcano. This covered my tedious garlic mashed with...
 Whoops yea I was thinking the thought backwards.. because I was thinking of the delay in finishing the seared salmon. So yes just a normal sear but then into vacuum and holding. Then water bath which can be held without much time constraint and straight to plating.
Why not reverse sear to start.. vacuum seal.. and then go into the immersion circulator to bring to serving temp? If you really want to cut down on the steps you can do the sear and pack the night before, then go into refrigeration until 3-4 hrs before you have guests at which time you just put into your water bath.
 I was going to say.. sirloin 90% lean 10% fat usually gives me that great crumble. With a 10% fat if you start it and render what little fat out you can then sweat some onions/peppers in that. If you are OK with beef tallow as opposed to say olive oil, there's no reason to strain such lean beef in my opinion. In higher concentrations I find tallow to be greasy.. as opposed to oily.. I know many of you will know what I mean.
I guess I'll be the first to bite.. even if this is for a marketing study.. which is seems to be.   - What would you say to people who have absolutely no interest in cooking to change their mind?   There is a very small population that will not find comfort or joy in food.. to them you can't sell it. It's just a necessity and they don't need their water flavored. Let's rule those people out to start. The other group, might be rejecting cooking because they are busy.....
Great advice from others. As a cooking enthusiast I have run into this brick wall several times over the years. For me, and I think this is a very individual issue, I draw on the energy that I get from others that enjoy food. I wish I had more people in my life that really understood food and had a passion for it. I would love to have friends that cured meats or pickled often, baked, etc. Those artisan crafts are a big part of food culture.   So maybe you could find some...