or Connect

Posts by eastshores

My grocer had a sale on pork loin so I grilled it with a basting of Louisiana Crystal hot sauce and local honey from my friend. I'm still not used to seeing pink in pork but the FDA says 145 internal with a 2 minute minimum rest is safe. I checked with a digi thermometer in the thickest part and let it rest on the still hot grill. It certainly is more tender. Served with some new potatoes sauteed in thyme and butter. I wish I had made a sauce but I used the thyme butter...
 This is true! I really do look forward to that first day when a strange cool breeze blows and you can even smell the coolness - things get more quiet and the days grow dark faster. Fall is my favorite time of year, like you I also enjoy it a good deal food wise. Although in Florida during Fall one day we can be 70F and the very next day jump to 95F! It's all dependent on weather systems north of us.
Decided to try making Coq Au Vin for the first time. I used parsnips instead of carrots so it's lacking a little in color but it is quite tasty.  
Hi Maria, welcome to cheftalk! I think you are on the right track to look toward Indian cooking as they are masterful at creating vege dishes that don't leave carnivores longing. I wanted to chime in because I received a book as a gift several years back and it will give you endless supplies of recipes as well as fill you in on the cultural and regional differences that influences various curries. I believe Nicko said if I just link to it the site would handle things.....
That rabbit dish looks great GM.. is it cool in Bavaria? Certainly looks like a cold weather dish to me! Meanwhile it's been extremely hot here so I decided to make a chilled soup of broccoli and watercress garnished with pumpernickle croutons and sour cream.  
I was curious about this so did a little digging. Seems like the biggest consensus is under-cooked crab prior to it being frozen for packaging. Here's one quote from an individual on the matter  I'd question your supplier and see about changing where your crab is sourced.
Brightflare, I have to apologize for calling you a troll. I just found it really questionable that someone would ask for a replacement for shallots in a recipe that calls for a large amount, yet say that they hate onions and even weaker variants like leeks! And as I told Nicko I had a few drinks and fired away without thinking   I'm glad everyone else was helpful. I just wanted to let you know I didn't mean to be rude. The function of shallots as well as onions would be...
I love that the challenge has gone back to a singular concept, to me that makes it challenging to come up with something extraordinary! Beautiful dishes from everyone, I'm thinking hard on what I can do with eggs that I've never tried.
To be honest I can't believe you guys fell for this troll.
I've taken to listening to (and halfway watching) Julia Child on "The French Chef!" when I am too tired to stand.. but not too tired to fall asleep. She loves roux.. so this weekend my friends were getting together after a day on the water and for my part I decided to do a seafood chowder. Clam chowder is good, but add shrimp and fish and it's a little better. I could have gone muscles but the costs were climbing as it was. So this is.. onion, celery, and garlic sauteed in...