or Connect

Posts by ChefBoyarG

Made mozzarella last night following Ideas In Food recipe pretty much to the "t". Only difference aside from kneading time, was we were unable to get the milk down to 50F for the initial step, so tossed the lipase and citric acid in when the milk was around 70F. Curd came out wonderful, texture was great, taste awesome. I stored it in whey as per the suggestion in the book, then this morning when I checked on them and lifted them out of the whey it was almost as if the...
Check out Come In, We're Closed for some family meal inspiration. The Spanish rice pudding from the Mugaritz section is pretty great.
Combine 1c dark corn syrup, 1c sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar stir to combine, bring to a boil, cook to 300F, stir in 1tbsp baking soda off heat and dump into greased foil lined baking tray, allow to cool until hardened.
Hey all. I have been trying to make sponge toffee with the texture of a Crunchie bar for a long time now and have finally partially succeeded. I got really excited when I broke off a piece and saw a very dense tiny bubble structure just like in the bar, but as I broke apart the batch I noticed the bubbles got bigger as I moved toward the centre. Though airy sponge toffee is great, what I am looking for is that dense crunch. The fact it was like that at the edge leads me to...
I recently received the worst service since moving to my current city - sat down at the bar and told the bartender I was meeting someone. He didn't bother Asking if I wanted anything to drink while I waited and moved on to chatting with his fellow bartender. My girlfriend arrives and it takes ages to even get water. When that comes around I quickly jump in so we can get a drink. It took a good 10-15mins to get 1 beer poured on what looked like a slow night. We are given...
I second any of the Keller books and Fergus Henderson book.The French Laundry Cookbook is awesome. Ludobites, Ideas In Food and Modernist Cuisine if you can afford it or find it at a library. Art Culinaire is a pretty hit publication and will run you pretty much as much as some cookbooks so I'm going to hrow that down as well. Jacque Pepins La Technique. Also Coco is pretty awesome.
It may be easier to see what happened if you write out your procedure with approximate amounts used.
There is also a high viscosity variety that sets at around 132F that they carry which may be a little more applicable to what you're trying to do.
There are a whole bunch of methycellulose varieties out there, so you really need to find one that is well suited to the task. Something like methocel f50 is great for foams and "meringues" but would fail miserably if put up to your task. I had emailed Modernist Pantry re appropriate methycellulose to use for warm ice creams and the responder said the super gelling variety would do the trick but amounts would need to be tinkered with. I assume this is the variety he was...
Hey all. Tried making a pomegranate mousse today using solely xanthan and it didn't quite come out the way I was expecting. It extruded from the whipped cream canister looking like a mousse then immediately bubbles were noticeable. i tried at concentrations of 0.2% and 0.4% and use 2 charges, shaking between charges before I dispensed. Would the addition of gelatin create a more mousse-like texture or would it just be a matter of upping the xanthan concentration even...