or Connect

Posts by kongfeet

Not a fan of roulade... Why cook two things that usually cook at different rates together? Besides, they'll be mixed in your mouth when you eat them, so why not cook them separately, for the best result for each of them?
As with most of Japanese ingredients, try not to do too much with it. Just eat it. Why would you want to "ruin" a great ingredient by mixing it with other stuff? Japanese use fresh wasabi as a condiment to pretty much everything, not just for sushi and sashimi. I've even had wagyu beef with freshly grated wasabi. Good stuff.
I second that, too. I'd definitely cook the skin separately. 
Sounds more like chicken fried chicken, rather than deep fried chicken.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_chicken#Variants
Actually, I find monk fish skin quite tasty (nothing should go to a waste and why can it not also be true for fish?). I believe Nobu had a recipe (in his first cookbook) that features skin along with meat and all. 
To me, good soy sauce shouldn't taste only salty. It should taste like soy beans, among other things, just like how good miso and tofu should have the soy bean taste - unfortunately, tofu gets a bad reputation for having a rather bland taste, but that's only because most factory made tofu does not contain enough soy beans (and let's not even mention the quality), but this is another story. I only use soy sauce that has nothing but salt, water, and soy beans. This usually...
Overrated seafood: halibut. chicken breast of the sea, and I'm sorta saying it's as bad as chicken, so nuff said. Underrated seafood: skate liver. way better than monkfish liver   Overrated meat: close call between tenderloin and the eye or loin part of rib eye which tastes pretty much the same as new york strip which also is boring as hell. I wish, someday, they'll sell the cap and the eye of rib eye separate. They really are two different muscles that need to be...
I've done the usual flour, egg, then panko (I never use regular breadcrumb anymore especially when I want crispy crust) with skin on, bone in chicken thighs (1 hour at 350 in oven), and the result has been quite good. Maybe not as crispy as deep fried (still quite crispy) but you can't beat not having all that splatter. 
Oh, and I almost forgot. About skate/ skate wings, if you really want, check Asian markets (Korean or Japanese) in your area. They usually have frozen ones. Having said that, it's still a lot better to get fresh ones. Even better if you can get a whole skate with liver and all. There's been so much hype over monk fish liver but I'd take skate liver over monk fish liver anyday. And the left over cartilage is awesome, too, if you simmer it long enough. It's got a texture...
About reducing stock, it might take longer than you expect. It all depends on the water to all the other stuff ratio that you started out with. Also, your shrimp shells may not contain as much flavor as the shells that the guy who wrote the recipe used. That's why instructions like reduce the stock by half or third don't really work for me. The best way is to taste as you go. When you have the shrimp flavor to your liking, that's when the stock is done. Hope this helps.