or Connect

Posts by kongfeet

I like clear stocks made by simmering bones and aromatics and all that, but like a couple of you have already mentioned, I also dig that Japanese ramen broth, and also Korean sul lung tang broth. Both are boiled to death with the lid on for close to or over 24 hours, and are just so damn tasty. I wouldn't call them cloudy since they are normally not made with any veggies; they're just thicker, like how milk or cream is as opposed to water. I had this fish soup once in...
It's pretty common in Korean cuisine. For pork and chicken, they use gochujang (chili paste) mixed with mul yut (malted barely syrup). Past few years, I have been noticing quite a few similarities between Korean food and Mexican. Kinda makes sense that Roy Choi is doing so well with his Korean tacos.  
Any braised meat along with the braising liquid, reduced to sauce consistency, goes well with pasta. For a refined version, after braising meat (lamb or goat neck is my personal favorite), I pull the meat out of the liquid, strain the liquid, then cool them and put them separately into the fridge. Next day, I remove the fat, and reduce the liquid. Then I mix it with the meat (which I sometimes pull). It freezes really well, too.
Not a fan of roulade... Why cook two things that usually cook at different rates together? Besides, they'll be mixed in your mouth when you eat them, so why not cook them separately, for the best result for each of them?
As with most of Japanese ingredients, try not to do too much with it. Just eat it. Why would you want to "ruin" a great ingredient by mixing it with other stuff? Japanese use fresh wasabi as a condiment to pretty much everything, not just for sushi and sashimi. I've even had wagyu beef with freshly grated wasabi. Good stuff.
I second that, too. I'd definitely cook the skin separately. 
Sounds more like chicken fried chicken, rather than deep fried chicken.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_fried_chicken#Variants
Actually, I find monk fish skin quite tasty (nothing should go to a waste and why can it not also be true for fish?). I believe Nobu had a recipe (in his first cookbook) that features skin along with meat and all. 
To me, good soy sauce shouldn't taste only salty. It should taste like soy beans, among other things, just like how good miso and tofu should have the soy bean taste - unfortunately, tofu gets a bad reputation for having a rather bland taste, but that's only because most factory made tofu does not contain enough soy beans (and let's not even mention the quality), but this is another story. I only use soy sauce that has nothing but salt, water, and soy beans. This usually...
Overrated seafood: halibut. chicken breast of the sea, and I'm sorta saying it's as bad as chicken, so nuff said. Underrated seafood: skate liver. way better than monkfish liver   Overrated meat: close call between tenderloin and the eye or loin part of rib eye which tastes pretty much the same as new york strip which also is boring as hell. I wish, someday, they'll sell the cap and the eye of rib eye separate. They really are two different muscles that need to be...